First post here. I'm hoping to get some suggestions on how to diagnose disconnections on my FTTC VDSL service, please. I want to rule everything out that I can before my ISP orders an Openreach SFI engineer with the risk of a £220+ bill if they can't find a line fault.
I know information is important when trying to rule things out, so bear with me as I dispense the lot.
Service: 80/20 FTTC (normally 70Mb down, 15Mb up on BT Wholesale Speedtester)
Modem: BT Openreach Huawei HG612 (possibly 1st version, not unlocked, no firmware updates since installation in 2009)
- From 10th or 11th May, I've had frequent and intermittent disconnections. The dropouts last for 10-13 seconds, then reconnecting. Usually reconnects on first attempt but sometimes the modem takes 2 attempts to reconnect.
- Disconnections are anywhere from 90 seconds to 4 minutes apart, but most commonly around 2 minutes.
- There have been a couple of periods of extended uptime, but no rhyme or reason to it (have had both mid morning and late night).
- Disconnections continued throughout the weekend.
- When my connection is up for long enough for me to carry out a speed test, my speeds have dropped to 45Mb down, 10Mb up.
Checks carried out so far:
- Eliminated router as problem by connecting 4 different computers (2 x Mac, 2 x PC) directly to modem and connecting through PPPoE.
- ISP say they can't see a problem, escalated it to Openreach who say they can't find any issues on the line remotely.
- I have tried unplugging various bits of electrical equipment around the house, plus I have used an AM radio tuned to 612Khz but I cannot find an obvious source of interference.
- Modem is plugged into a double socket in it's own, both are less than 300mm from master socket.
- Have spoken to next door neighbours either side to see if they have problems but they all have cable broadband with Virgin. They also haven't bought any new electrical items in the past week.
Next planned checks:
- Try another modem (I have ordered a HG612 3B from eBay seller) to establish whether my modem is faulty
- See if neighbours will let me 'scan' their houses with my radio
- I have had FTTC since BT's first trials in 2009 with no broadband problems at all until last week.
- Semi-detached house on suburban street.
- Telephone line fed overhead from pole. Pole and cable were renewed less than 10 years ago.
- I don't know line distance but cabinet is physically less than 500m walk away.
Could anyone offer suggestions on what other steps or checks I could or should take to isolate the cause of this fault, please?
Thanks in advance for any helpful thoughts.
Edited by Gozaradio (Wed 17-May-17 20:52:50)