Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Teleraine
(newbie) Thu 18-May-17 14:15:39
Print Post

Slow Broadband - BT are Frustrating

[link to this post]

Hi folks I'm hoping someone might have some ideas about my issue as even though BT have scheduled a 2nd Engineer visit for tomorrow I find myself sceptical of their ability to fix my DL speeds

speedtest below
My Broadband Speed Test

Now when i had this broadband installed I was getting 60-70 DL and 20 UL now according to a raft of tests its down to 1.7DL (bt Wholesale) or 3-5DL on others but UL is unaffected?

The 1st BT engineer fixed 2 faults in our local cabinet and we got a new Smart Hub 6 and the hub and line tests from BT confirm we're getting 78 DL Sync and 20 UL Sync

This Engineer also confirmed on his own laptop what we are getting and postulated that a of section of BT's backbone that we are on is running hot which is why we cant pull the correct speed. The support technician over the phone just now though stated it was implausible and scheduled another engineer.

All I want to know is what is going on?

Thank you for any insights provided
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-May-17 14:21:19
Print Post

Re: Slow Broadband - BT are Frustrating

[re: Teleraine] [link to this post]

If you run the BT Speed Checker and go to the advanced results (think that is what it is called) then it should tell you the IP Profile. See if that matches for high sync rate as it may be being artificially limited if it has got stuck.
Standard User Teleraine
(newbie) Thu 18-May-17 14:59:06
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

unfortunately this is what the advanced details state on http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

It always shows this error for some reason so further details are limited.

Though on https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/spee... It says 80 is possible on fibre and I am guaranteed a minimum of 64Mb.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-May-17 15:32:57
Print Post

Your home hub should give some connection speed data in its status pages - can't recall which page as away from a Home Hub to get the exact page name.

If connection speed data is good (e.g. 64000 or better), but speed tests when connected via an Ethernet cable and the computer is known to get faster speeds on other connections then does point to a network problem that is not a VDSL2 problem.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Teleraine
(newbie) Thu 18-May-17 17:39:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

heres what i can see to me I cant see a problem in the hub from these status pages

http://i.imgur.com/WNCnSUB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Iqo6osD.jpg
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-May-17 17:48:13
Print Post

Yeap nothing wrong there, suggests something is congesting or broken but no sign its the VDSL2 line

Do speed test speeds improve around breakfast times (easier than staying up to 1 am when evening peak is well over).

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Teleraine
(newbie) Thu 18-May-17 19:20:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sadly the the DL rate is averaging 4Mbs at all times with no real variance for period of the day while the UL speed isn't affected at all from whatever it is that is happening.

So from what I can see is that we should be able to get our full speed but we're just not for some reason that BT are having a hard time figuring out.
Standard User andyhurley
(regular) Wed 26-Jul-17 11:53:38
Print Post

BT are certainly frustrating. I have been suffering v.slow broadband (<1Mbps and frequent total drops) for the past month and BT mostly refused to acknowledge a problem (usually 3-5Mbps but they were seeing the ADSL modem connection rate of 1.15 and saying that met the minimum - no recognition of the fact that it was a quarter of what it used to be and keeps dropping completely).

Eventually I persuaded one helpdesk person to book an engineer visit and waited in on the given day only to find they had not actually booked a visit correctly. I just had a visit today from an openreach engineer who was most helpful. He checked the line and registered the slow speed which suggested it was being capped. He then went to the cabinet (3km down the road so no hope of VDSL) and noticed that the line was only getting 10Mb from the exchange. He swapped it for another line that was getting 20Mb and, hey presto, I am now back to 3-4Mbps.

It was so good to actually talk to the engineer, he also suggested I bin my 'smart' hub and go back to the Hub5 as it is much more reliable.

If only the BT support people would acknowledge that customers may sometimes know better than they do that there is a problem that needs proper checking. I could have had this sorted weeks ago instead of waiting a month with no usable broadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to