Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jez9999
(member) Tue 13-Jun-17 11:05:09
Print Post

Fibre connected to wrong cabinet?!

[link to this post]

OK I need you guys help here.

My VDSL modems were only able to sync at ADSL2+ speed, not VDSL2 (which is my service with Zen) once my line had been activated. An OpenReach engineer was sent out.

I just had the OpenReach engineer round. After checking my line and everything he said that the problem was that the fiber had been connected to the wrong cabinet? His English wasn't too good so I couldn't really get a clear explanation out of him, but he said I needed to call my ISP about it.

EDIT: Just to add a bit more info on this, he said that my line should be connected to cabinet box 29, but was connected to 42. I've had a walk around the neighbourhood and there are lots of little green cabinets with numbers like "XX29I-26" on them (letters changed) and a central darker green, more modern looking cabinet with "29" on it. It definitely seems to be the closest big green cabinet.

I just want to get a clear understanding of the topology of FTTC in the UK and what's actually gone wrong here. My master socket connects to my cabinet (it's over the street). Would the problem be that the cabinet itself has no fibre running to it (BT forgot to connect it?), or that there is fibre but that my ISP (Zen) hasn't been allocated any fibre lines in the cabinet? And whose fault would it be; BT, OpenReach, or maybe Zen for not requesting allocation in the correct cabinet?

And why is my modem even able to sync with ADSL2+? As I'm not connected to Zen's FTTC, with which modem is mine actually communicating? Does the modem's signal pass through to the exchange's DSLAM and communicate with one of the modems there, and would that modem be for a particular ISP or are they generic?

Also, out of interest, once I am (finally) on FTTC, will the signal from my cabinet communicate with ISP equipment in the exchange, or will it pass through the exchange and authenticate with my ISP's network at a more centralized location?

=== Jez ===
Internet
Zen unlimited fibre 2 | http://game-point.net/misc/speedtest-ookla-ZenFTTC-2...
Hardware
(hopefully to come):
Master socket: NTE5A with MK3 VDSL filter faceplate
DSL model: BT Openreach Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B VDSL/FTTC (unlocked)

Edited by jez9999 (Tue 13-Jun-17 14:34:53)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Jun-17 11:58:26
Print Post

Re: Fibre connected to wrong cabinet?!

[re: jez9999] [link to this post]

Full line stats from the modem please.

Importantly, what did you do about your wiring?

Have you asked Zen if your line has been switched to FTTC? Or is it a two-stage installation, first the phone and ADSL2+, then an upgrade.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 69564/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User jez9999
(member) Tue 13-Jun-17 12:03:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Luckily this engineer replaced the master socket with an NTE5C and VDSL faceplate. The star wiring has been disconnected.

I believe this was a one-stage VDSL activation. It was Zen who raised the fault for OpenReach to come out, as they said it was "very odd" that the modem was only syncing with ADSL2+.

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware
Master socket: NTE5C with MK4 VDSL filter faceplate

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Jun-17 12:11:59
Print Post

Full line stats?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 69564/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Jun-17 12:20:10
Print Post

If somehow a VDSL2 cabinet went live and was taking orders and had not fibre connected to it, then you'd get nothing as part of the connecting you to the VDSL2 DSLAM involves filtering out any ADSL/ADSL2+ signals from the exchange. In short safe to say ignore that engineers explanation - why? Because not seeing a DSLAM over the fibre for configuration and monitoring is quickly noticed.

Without seeing the line stats its all pointing towards the line still being on ADSL2+ rather than VDSL2.

Don't recall line length, but at longer VDSL2 distances (e.g. you may not be connected to the cabinet you can see) VDSL2 can look a little like ADSL2+

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jez9999
(member) Tue 13-Jun-17 12:22:11
Print Post

How do I get them? I do have an unlocked HG612...

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Jun-17 12:44:57
Print Post

Are you using the HG612 at the moment, or a combo modem/router from Zen? If a combo we need to know what that is.

Standard User jez9999
(member) Tue 13-Jun-17 12:45:59
Print Post

I'm "using" the HG612 insofar as that is what is connected to the socket. I can plug into LAN2 to get at its web interface. Obviously I'm not using it to connect to the internet (I'm tethering on my mobile) because I have no working landline internet connection right now.

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware

Edited by jez9999 (Tue 13-Jun-17 12:49:43)

Standard User jdigz7
(learned) Tue 13-Jun-17 13:26:31
Print Post

If you have no connection at all why are you not speaking to Zen directly?
Standard User jez9999
(member) Tue 13-Jun-17 13:36:57
Print Post

[re: jdigz7] [link to this post]

I did, which is why an engineer was sent out. They said it shouldn't be syncing with ADSL2+ at all if the VDSL had been activated correctly.

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware
VDSL modem model: BT Openreach Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B VDSL/FTTC (unlocked)
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Jun-17 14:01:49
Print Post

How do you know you have ADSL2+ if you have no internet?

Are your speeds just slow or zero connectivity?

Did Zen supply a modem/router combo device, all major ISP supplied devices now produce line stats even the budget ones supplied by the likes of TalkTalk. We need to see some stats to get a better idea of what is happening.

Based on what the engineer has stated "connected to the wrong cabinet" it sounds as if your line does not go to the closest fibre cabinet (across your road) but possibly one much further away. This would reduce your fibre speeds massively... Hence it is very important to see stats and assess if you are syncing on ADSL2+ or VDSL. Often times, where a further cabinet is utilised the speeds end up worse than ADSL, as the fibre only begins at the cabinet, and speeds drop very very quickly over copper on VDSL2+. Using a cabinet further way would create a lot of excess copper and you'd likely be getting one of the slowest speeds on that cabinet.

FYI BT have zero obligation to do a network rearrangement & connect you to a closer cabinet. Anyways, stats would be great even if that's via using the ISP supplied device for 10 mins.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 13-Jun-17 14:03:23)

Standard User jez9999
(member) Tue 13-Jun-17 14:24:23
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
How do you know you have ADSL2+ if you have no internet?

Because when I plug in the modem, the web interface "DSL sync status" (at the same time as the DSL light flashing) says 'Initializing', then changes to 'EstablishingLink', then finally "mode: ADSL2+", "Traffic type: ATM", and "DSL link status: up". I've also tried this with a Technicolor modem that syncs with ADSL2+ mode too.

Are your speeds just slow or zero connectivity?

Zero, because I'm not even sure how to configure it, since I am meant to have a FTTC connection with PTM traffic. What it syncs as is completely different, as if it were connecting to a different ISP's modem or something. At my last place, I connected the modem up to my Linux box and ran pppd. This time I tried it but get the error "timeout waiting for PADO packets", which isn't surprising because the DSL modem isn't even synced in PTM traffic mode.

Did Zen supply a modem/router combo device, all major ISP supplied devices now produce line stats even the budget ones supplied by the likes of TalkTalk. We need to see some stats to get a better idea of what is happening.

Yes, a Technicolor TG588v v2. But are you saying I can't get stats with my HG612? As I understand it, the Technicolor is locked into bridge mode (as I told them I would be bridging to my Linux box which is my main router). Incidentally, I don't even know why the Technicolor syncs because as I understand it you can't bridge an ADSL2+ w/ ATM connection, only a PTM one.

Based on what the engineer has stated "connected to the wrong cabinet" it sounds as if your line does not go to the closest fibre cabinet (across your road) but possibly one much further away. This would reduce your fibre speeds massively... Hence it is very important to see stats and assess if you are syncing on ADSL2+ or VDSL. Often times, where a further cabinet is utilised the speeds end up worse than ADSL, as the fibre only begins at the cabinet, and speeds drop very very quickly over copper on VDSL2+. Using a cabinet further way would create a lot of excess copper and you'd likely be getting one of the slowest speeds on that cabinet.

FYI BT have zero obligation to do a network rearrangement & connect you to a closer cabinet. Anyways, stats would be great even if that's via using the ISP supplied device for 10 mins.

Yeah, well I have the two modems I mentioned above. What's the best way to get these stats? I can use either one.

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware
Standard User jez9999
(member) Tue 13-Jun-17 15:59:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So am I right in thinking that this is the topology (where === is copper and --- is fibre):

House === Cabinet XX29I-26 --- Cabinet 29 ---------- Exchange

And are you saying that the filtering takes place at Cabinet 29 above (the "VDSL2 cabinet" in between small cabinet and exchange)?

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Jun-17 16:00:27
Print Post

Can you post a link to a screenshot of the cabinet for your phone number please, using this checker. Blank out the phone number of course.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Jun-17 16:07:19
Print Post

Stats from the HG612 will be fine as long as they are using telnet from a Command Line prompt.

How FTTC is delivered. Combining and splitting of the phone and FTTC signals is done in the FTTC cabinet, as well as the filtering out of any ADSLx signals from the phone exchange.

Standard User jez9999
(member) Tue 13-Jun-17 16:27:05
Print Post

If you mean the screen of data from the BT site, here:

http://game-point.net/misc/cabinet.png

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Jun-17 16:48:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by jez9999:
So am I right in thinking that this is the topology (where === is copper and --- is fibre):

House === Cabinet XX29I-26 --- Cabinet 29 ---------- Exchange

And are you saying that the filtering takes place at Cabinet 29 above (the "VDSL2 cabinet" in between small cabinet and exchange)?
It will go House - Cabinet - Fibre Head End (not necessarily your local exchange, the fibre cabinets route back to a sort of master head-end exchange which may serve the area of multiple traditional exchanges).

Copper between house and cabinet only. There is not two cabinets involved.

My first thought pattern given everything just mentioned is that the previous owners had ADSL2+ and Zen have not migrated you over correctly (hence still seeing previous owners ADSL2+ sync). All speculation at this stage... Probably needs BT openreach to come back out and get your line connected properly. What are Zen saying in relation to this? The migration is far from ideal at this stage and I would be raising some serious questions with them.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 13-Jun-17 16:50:09)

Standard User jez9999
(member) Tue 13-Jun-17 16:53:36
Print Post

I just had an update from Zen who told me more info from the Openreach engineer's notes:

BT's information on which cabinet my line ran to was wrong (god knows how). Even though their info shows my line going to what apparently is my closest cabinet, it actually goes to a different one. Hence they activated the wrong phone line. Zen have submitted the issue to BT and it will take "a few days" to get it sorted... apparently.

My modem was syncing with ADSL2+ because it was still connecting to a modem back in the exchange.

Sounds like it's really going to suck because presumably my cabinet is further away for historical reasons so my VDSL speed will suck. frown

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware

Edited by jez9999 (Tue 13-Jun-17 16:54:58)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Jun-17 17:02:56
Print Post

It's worth noting that the OP substantially edited the opening post at 14:34, without mentioning it frown.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Jun-17 17:23:04
Print Post

Cabinet 42 is at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.2819131,-0.856011,...

Cabinet 29 is at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.2766044,-0.8555879...

As to which one you are connected the best bet at this time, is the house number and postcode i.e. address search. Why? Because telephone numbers are virtual and it could be anywhere.

You mentioned lots of writing on cabinets, should not be anything prominent beyond the 29 and smaller yellow 42 sticker on the other cabinet. The fibre runs to the cabinet that is not numbered and has the vents on it, then there are copper link cables to the existing street cabinet.

NOTE: Don't confuse the grey cabinets in the area with the Openreach ones, the grey ones will be Virgin Media cable, then the usual scattering of boxes for crossings/traffic lights.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jez9999
(member) Tue 13-Jun-17 18:55:17
Print Post

So why would BT have the records wrong? Surely they would know at the time of upgrading cabinets which houses were connected to which cabinets. If this line turns out to be unsuitable for FTTC and I'd known before I never would've bought the house. frown

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Jun-17 19:00:52
Print Post

Did you notice what I mentioned about the phone number?

If you have moved in and given a new phone number it is normal for that number to have been located elsewhere, and it takes a while for records to catch up, and providers should have ordered the broadband service based on the address with a new line provide.

Without access to all your details its difficult to say that beyond it needing Zen to resolve things, you may be panicking unduly.

Standard User jez9999
(member) Tue 13-Jun-17 19:03:14
Print Post

They did do it based on address. I ordered the service from my old address before I knew what the phone number here would be.

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Jun-17 19:11:51
Print Post

Phone number different to the one previously at the property?

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Jun-17 19:21:02
Print Post

So why would BT have the records wrong? Surely they would know at the time of upgrading cabinets which houses were connected to which cabinets.

I had exactly this problem. FTTC couldn't be ordered while the records were wrong - because the automatic back-office systems allocate a port in the wrong FTTC cabinet.

It took a few months to sort out.
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4398651-re-...

If this line turns out to be unsuitable for FTTC and I'd known before I never would've bought the house. frown

When you use the address checker on the same website (but not the postcode checker), does it report the same cabinet? If you enter /just/ the postcode into the address form, it will give you a list of all addresses in the postcode, so you can also check your neighbours.
Standard User jez9999
(member) Tue 13-Jun-17 19:45:43
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Months?? Holy [censored], any tips on speeding it up?

And which website are you referring to?

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware
Standard User jez9999
(member) Tue 13-Jun-17 19:46:27
Print Post

I dunno.

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Jun-17 19:48:53
Print Post

And which website are you referring to?
The one you used for the telephone number lookup. Use the Address Option. Not the third option which is for pure postcode..

But, inside the Address option if you just enter the postcode there, you get a list of all the addresses. So you can check yours and your neighbours.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Jun-17 20:44:40
Print Post

Months?? Holy [censored], any tips on speeding it up?

a) It was a "pair prove" task, done by an Openreach engineer, that finally unclogged the problem.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14908.0

b) It took persistence from a senior member of my ISP's staff, and good knowledge. I needed to get a single contact at the ISP to make things happen, rather than calling into a call centre, getting different people each time.

c) Make sure that, if an installation fails on any one day, you are put back to a working ADSL setup.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Jun-17 20:58:03
Print Post

What the OP describes is a problem that occurs infrequently ... Due to some unfathomable issue the lines copper routing held on record is incorrect, so incorrect it is routed (on records) off a different cab.

The punter orders, the FTTC ties are allocated and provisioned to the cab correct by records, but this is of no use to the punter 'cos their line actually goes through a different cab.

Another fly in the ointment is contractors doing cab only FTTC provision tasks ... They don't give a monkeys if the quoted telephone line ain't present in the cab, just com(plete) the job and take the money. Now Openreach mark as complete, and the error doesn't come to light until a fault is raised.

Had one like this in Woodley, 5 times we went out, informed whoever that the ties had been provided in the wrong cab, and still it didn't get connected. .......

The OP will have to push and push again with his CP.

He is seeing ADSL speeds because that's what he has.... ADSL

Standard User jez9999
(member) Tue 13-Jun-17 22:19:47
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

What is CP?

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Jun-17 22:58:46
Print Post

CP = Current provider.

This is something likely needed to be handled by executive level / a complaints handler. I have details for the teams at sky, BT and talktalk but not for zen. Anybody here able to point the op to somebody at zen who can handle the case end to end in the best way possible? IE Executive level support email or something similar?

I doubt standard customer services will get anywhere on this.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 14-Jun-17 00:47:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
CP = Current provider.
Uh uh smile. CP = Communications Provider. Can be an ISP, a line rental provider, or both for a particular end user.

It probably (I haven't checked) also includes mobile providers and wireless broadband. Virgin Media as well of course.

IIRC it is Ofcom-speak and Openreach-speak. Just an umbrella term.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 14-Jun-17 00:47:38)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Jun-17 07:24:22
Print Post

Zen should be able to escalate from the people who you deal with to someone who can recognise what everyone here has, that something is amiss and needs resolution.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Jun-17 10:22:10
Print Post

Always learning, I read that it was current provider years ago on the Sky Forum. At least it always read ok for me! smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 14-Jun-17 10:31:02
Print Post

smile
I found out a few years ago when I first went to read the actual Ofcom General Conditions document, in particular Section 22 that covered the MAC process at the time. Now updated of course to the GPL system.

The Sky forum one sounds like a reasonable assumption that looks plausible, as you say, but breaks down when you read Ofcom documents. And, IIRC, BT SINs.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Jun-17 14:13:55
Print Post

CP = Current provider.

Communications Provider is what I meant it to mean.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Jun-17 15:38:23
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yep my bad, some poor advice on the SkyUser forum where they stated it meant that a few years back.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 14-Jun-17 16:38:01
Print Post

A classic internet myth smile.

Standard User jez9999
(member) Fri 16-Jun-17 17:09:49
Print Post

It's fixed today. smile Modem syncing with VDSL2 PTM traffic, and speeds a bit slower than my last house... not too bad though.

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Jun-17 20:49:56
Print Post

So what was needed to fix it?
Standard User jez9999
(member) Mon 19-Jun-17 22:12:27
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Beats me. I think they put in a request with Openreach to install it again? I didn't get an engineer visit to the door.

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware
Standard User ConsumersFriend
(committed) Tue 20-Jun-17 12:36:33
Print Post

Interestingly we have been having a similar problem - ongoing some 3-4 mths, with the fibre install being cancelled (no explanation) then going to a different Cab than expected (resulting in speeds under half predicted, below the so called "handback" threshold), then as a last resort a new line (using existing pairs) that should have gone to the near cabinet according to BTOR but them claiming that the fibre (which Zen had ordered to that near cabinet) was on the wrong cabinet, and the whole order starting all over again. No one seems to want to take ownership of the issue at BTOR & sort it - the "correct" ie near cabinet that the cables go through/past has half its space empty rather than being provisioned with vdsl modules according to the engineers, but each time an individual engineer starts to deal with it, he goes off to get management approval & then it all stops again!
Interestingly one of the engineers was from Romania, and he commented that the service was much improved there after it was taken out of the control of a single state monopoly & he had a 1gb down 500mb up service for around £15....sounded almost too good to be true, but monopolies that are not answerable to their end user will never encourage innovation or service improvements!
Standard User jez9999
(member) Tue 20-Jun-17 15:51:00
Print Post

[re: ConsumersFriend] [link to this post]

And even the UK is good compared to much of America where there's a total monopoly and no real regulation.

=== Jez ===
Internet
Hardware
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to