Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User edgrant
(newbie) Mon 18-Sep-17 14:11:35
Print Post

TP Archer VR900 broadband temporary dropout

[link to this post]

I have an Archer VR900 router which works very well. However I do have one annoying problem.
When making or receiving a landline telephone call the broadband connection temporarily drops out for about up to one minute. It resumes as normal until the call ends when it drops out again for the same amount of time. The original router supplied when I changed suppliers, to SSE/Daisy, worked absolutely fine. I only changed routers as the wireless range on the supplied router was not very good.
I have tried changing filters, checked for software updates, restarted it several times but there is no improvement. While it is not to big a problem it is an issue if any one is on the internet.
I just wondered if anyone has any suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Sep-17 14:26:38
Print Post

Re: TP Archer VR900 broadband temporary dropout

[re: edgrant] [link to this post]

What you describe is usually the result of incorrect filter set up, or of a minor HR fault on the line. Is there any noise apparent on the line ?

Standard User edgrant
(newbie) Mon 18-Sep-17 14:31:58
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Our main BT Openreach box has separate sockets, one for the router and one for the landline and is only 6 years old in a new build house. I have only fitted a filter to the telephone line.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Sep-17 14:55:05
Print Post

6 years old is long enough that components might be out of specification, so best to test if this may be the case by removing the interstitial plate and testing the phone/broadband using a microfilter connected into the test socket.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/ shows how things should come apart, but be careful as their may be wiring attached to the smaller faceplate.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User edgrant
(newbie) Mon 18-Sep-17 16:17:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have tested as suggested and also connected with a filter through the telephone socket, but still the same issue. My broadband speed remains the same (65+ down / 18 up) whichever connection method I use. Just seems a strange coincidence that this only arose with the change of router. TP no use.
Standard User robmar0se
(regular) Tue 19-Sep-17 00:05:47
Print Post

Hi I came across this as I was searching for Daisy!

From your description, it sounds as though yr BT NTE5 master socket has the filter built in, so no additional filter should be used for the low frequency voice socket. You are effectively filtering twice. You can undo the face screws in the BT master socket and remove the incorporated filter, which I believe is just a separate add-on. Then you can try putting a standard filter in and see what happens. 1. removing the additional filter may resolve the problem, and 2, trying a standard filter in the master socket may eliminate an issue with the filter add on box.. Good luck
Standard User edgrant
(newbie) Thu 21-Sep-17 20:22:41
Print Post

[re: robmar0se] [link to this post]

I have tried the various alternatives as suggested and unfortunately the issue has still not been resolved ;-((.
I don't no where to go now, so will try the original wireless router and see if the issue remains.
Standard User edgrant
(newbie) Thu 05-Oct-17 16:09:45
Print Post

Okay, so connected the wireless router sent by SSE but same issue remains frown
Don't where to go now, so will just have to live with it I guess.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 05-Oct-17 16:13:37
Print Post

Have you tried a different telephone handset?
Standard User edgrant
(newbie) Mon 09-Oct-17 16:05:54
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestion BatBoy. Tried today with single wired handset as existing setup is wireless base station plus 3 handsets.
As soon as I disconnected the existing handset base station the internet was disconnected and then reconnected after about 20 seconds. Waited until internet re-connected and once I had connected the single handset the internet disconnected and only connected again after about 20 seconds , so same as before. Did a trial call with the single handset and issue is just the same, so have reconnected original base station !!
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 09-Oct-17 16:13:45
Print Post

Can you post a picture of the master socket please? Assuming the router is plugged in there

You'll have to upload an image to a photo sharing website, e.g. https://imgur.com and post a link to it here
Standard User edgrant
(newbie) Mon 09-Oct-17 16:52:53
Print Post

I understand from other photo's that I have a BT NTE5 master socket that has the filter built in so am to using another filter. If you check my previous posts you will see that I have tried a number of suggestions already.
Is there a way I can take a photo with my iPhone and send it to you?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 09-Oct-17 16:57:51
Print Post

I can PM you an email address if you like?
Standard User edgrant
(newbie) Mon 09-Oct-17 17:06:27
Print Post

Yes that would be better, thanks.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to