Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-Nov-17 01:55:16
Print Post

VDSL FTTC vs Modem on Master or Extension

[link to this post]

Recently I've had issues with a new network setup at home in which I've received a lot of useful feedback on my thread in this sub forum http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser.html

However I'm at the point where I want to resolve things the easiest way I can and avoid as much hassle as possible. So basically at present I have a Plusnet home hub on Fibre in the bedroom and a Netgear Managed switch in the lounge. The reason the PN HH is in the Bedroom is that when BT were last here they discovered that the telephone socket in the bedroom which is of a generic BT type socket (ie type fitted by the builders) was in fact the Master socket. The BT engineer replaced it with a BT NTE5 but left the lounge generic "BT socket" as it was.

I believe all current xDSL techologies are affected by cable length but now I am on VDSL as opposed to ADSL I wondered if it was likely (I know no one has a crystal ball) that moving the PN HH to the extension "BT generic socket" in the lounge which I'm guessing adds another 10 metres approx to the run would likely impede my VDSL connection badly?
My Connection to the exchange is very stable and my PN HH syncs at:- Downstream: 79.9 Mbps, Upstream: 19.98 Mbps.
The last time I noted the wiring between the Master and slave sockets it appeared to be the BT solid single core type cable.
If i did move the router to the extension socket in the lounge, Id probably leave my DECT phone base station connected via filter into the master socket where it resides now.

So my question is, does this sound silly contemplating adding albeit another 10metres of cable length to my FTTC connection or is it certainly worth trying?
Thanks.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Nov-17 05:59:55
Print Post

Re: VDSL FTTC vs Modem on Master or Extension

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

DONíT DO IT.

Itís not the additional length, but what you propose will create a bridge tap on your VDSL service. This will provide errors, instability and speed loss.

If you want my suggestion, pay to have the NTE professionally shifted.

Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-Nov-17 10:25:29
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks for the feedback.
So basically keeping the Modem/router connected to the NTE5 master socket is the best way to go. The 2nd generic BT type socket in the lounge has been wired properly as an extension socket by the BT engineer via the NTE5.
I guess some people do have their modems connected to extension sockets without realising it. If the BT engineer hadn't of changed the generic BT socket in the bedroom for an NTE5 I wouldn't have known which socket was the Master or Extension without "investigating".

It was good that he had replaced the generic socket for an NTE5 because the demarcation point for the flats was/is at the ground floor riser. Unfortunately the BT connections at the bottom of that said riser (last time I saw them) were a bit of a dogs dinner as there are many lines coming into the building as it once was offices (now converted to flats).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 24-Nov-17 11:52:17
Print Post

If you had a separate modem you could plug it into the master socket, then assuming there is ethernet nearby, you could put the router in the lounge and plug the WAN port into the modem using the network.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-Nov-17 15:54:17
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks Batboy for the feedback, I'm just weighing up the best and hopefully easiest option too at present.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Nov-17 16:32:43
Print Post

What are you trying to achieve by moving the router? Plenty of people use an extension, I have in the past, it will work but absolutely could reduce your speeds due to the additional errors.

Once DLM reduces your speeds, it often does not increase them again for a few months, if at all. Even if you return to master, it wont just bounce back.

Overall, your choice.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 24-Nov-17 16:39:21)

Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Nov-17 20:44:12
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

The idea of moving the modem/router has been thought about before and at one stage was moved when I was using adsl.
Reason being most of my network enabled devices are in the lounge, but the Master BT socket is in the bedroom.

I would have stuck to WiFi, but after having initial problems with the PN HH and later realising it was due to an abundance of neighbours WiFi at peak times causing my WiFi connections to downgrade in speed, I looked at a wired network to solve the issue. I found the Inssider 4 software by MetaGeek a help in sorting the WiFi situation.

A while back I had a flat cat6 cable laid from Bedroom to Lounge and it's only recently I've made use of it. I'm also dubious about it's contacts making a good connection but that's a story in another thread.
So it would have been easier to have a modem/router in the lounge so as to serve most of my network enabled devices and possibly do without a switch too.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Nov-17 07:26:24
Print Post

You may find NetSpot very useful for checking WiFi as well as inSSIDer.

NetSpot has facilities for conducting and recording WiFi surveys - which I have done for my own property including garden etc; and also within two houses of relatives.

--------

When I first switched to VDSL in June 2014, I continued to use the mixter-maxter of internal phone wiring from NTE to ADSL Modem that had "grown" and functioned very satisfactorily over the years. About 10 Metres length.

Some months later, I substituted a Cat 6 round cable; getting about 0.2 Mbps improvement - not readily observed or measured.

Recently I realised that there are Cat 7 cables available; and that the example I have acquired (about 1 M long), has additional protection for the flimsy locking spigots on the plugs - which may be of interest to others.

It would require slightly larger holes to feed through walls etc.

Looking at the structure of that Cat 7 cable, it may be better screened etc than Cat 6.
Standard User mrc99
(learned) Sun 26-Nov-17 10:29:31
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
If you had a separate modem you could plug it into the master socket, then assuming there is ethernet nearby, you could put the router in the lounge and plug the WAN port into the modem using the network.

Another option along these lines but if dedicated Ethernet cabling isn't feasible is to use 2 Powerline adapters to link the modem and router.

Cabled Ethernet is always best but it's not always the most practical and sometimes Powerline fits the bill. I've had some very good experiences with this sort of setup.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 27-Nov-17 22:06:10
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

I tend to buy the Flat Cat 7 cables that apparently meet a higher specification - although I believe Cat 7 wasn't ratified. Their RJ45 plugs appear more robust and are screened too.

Edited by Vorlon (Mon 27-Nov-17 22:07:21)

Print Thread

Jump to