Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CoupeRacing
(newbie) Tue 09-Jan-18 10:33:19
Print Post

Speed between master socket and router

[link to this post]

Hi

Just joined so please excuse me if this is old news.

I have been suffering on going connection problems via my ISP which is PlusNet.
This has all been put down to the distance from the Green Cabinet (2.4KM)

So , after having 3 BT engineer call outs recently to address the issue , a strange fact has come to light , hence my main question.

The Engineer tells me that I am getting 20Mbs at the Test socket using his test equipment , however my download speed at my hard wired PC is less than 10Mbs.
The house is wired via CAT5 and a Powerline network to everything except the mobile phones.

I have just ordered a CAT5 RJ11 to RJ45 cable to connect between the faceplate and PlusNet router [ same as BT Homehub 5 ] , but fail to see where I'm losing 50% of my speed ??

Any thoughts please ?

Many thanks

Steve
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Jan-18 11:43:40
Print Post

Re: Speed between master socket and router

[re: CoupeRacing] [link to this post]

Where is your router normally plugged in? Do you have any phone extensions? If you have extensions are they all properly filtered?

Also, PowerLine can run very slowly depending on the setup in the house.

Ideally you would plug your router into the test socket and plug a PC/laptop into the router directly and test from there. If that gives full speeds then it is a matter of starting to work your way outwards to see what is causing the speed loss.
Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Tue 09-Jan-18 12:34:08
Print Post

You would be better placing the router near the master socket and then running some CAT6 to your computer. If you wanted other devices to use the wired connection but still use the Powerline adapter, then just install a simple network switch near to your computer so that your computer gets a wired connection as well as other devices like the Powerline adapter.

This way you will get the maximum speed without suffering the loss you are currently getting.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Tue 09-Jan-18 13:03:30
Print Post

20Mbps is the sync speed. Your download speed will be lower than that. I'm not sure what the overhead is these days. When I started out with networking, it used to be 50%, but things may have got better since then. It's been 30 years.

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Iain M. Banks -- Feersum Endjinn
(member) Tue 09-Jan-18 13:15:08
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

50%???? Didn't even get that loss when using old coax connections back in the early 90's
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Tue 09-Jan-18 14:07:43
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

I'm talking 10BASE5 with a [censored], repurposed Z80A-based comms controller. 50% was fairly typical. It might have been a lot better if my company had designed decent comms controllers. They could handle 16 serial ports well enough, but a single LAN adapter was hopeless.

Edited by micksharpe (Tue 09-Jan-18 14:08:10)

(member) Tue 09-Jan-18 14:29:43
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

It shows that something was seriously wrong at your company then. Also 10BASE5 was coax based
Standard User burble
(member) Tue 09-Jan-18 16:21:06
Print Post

As you mention 2.4km from green cabinet I guess this means you are on FTTC, if so 20Mb at that distance sounds very unlikely, I had a OR engineer tell me something similar once, it was complete bull. What speed is you router synching at?
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Tue 09-Jan-18 16:31:23
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

The computer type was nearing end of life, so they didn't want to invest too much money in it. There wasn't even a full TCP/IP stack. It was quite a slow machine, anyway, and not selling well. It was coax - thick ethernet, in fact.

Edited by micksharpe (Tue 09-Jan-18 16:44:58)

Standard User TheInstaller
(newbie) Tue 09-Jan-18 16:46:21
Print Post

Plug your router into the test socket of your master socket and have all other extension sockets unplugged in your property. With just the router connected, plug an ethernet cable into the router and test the speed via a laptop. Make sure this is hardwired and not using wireless. Don't use powerline adaptors as these could cause a bottle neck too. If your speed is fine, then you know it is your extensions or powerline adaptors slowing your speed down.

The next thing to try would be leave everything setup as above, but then reconnect your extensions. If your speed drops, then you need an SSFP fitted to your master socket. Using an SSFP is the ONLY way you can properly filter out extensions in a property. Putting a microfilter on the end of each cable does nothing to stop a slow down caused by extension cabling.

Also, if you aren't using an extension cable, disconnect it. Ensure there are no bridge taps present on your cabling too.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to