Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User freeflowfruits
(newbie) Sun 14-Jan-18 08:50:58
Print Post

leaving phone of hook slow broadband down

[link to this post]

Hi
Bt openreach has been trying to fix my broadband problem now for 4 month, when my phone rings i get disconnected. I got adsl and a 8km direct line to exchange,no cabinet

yesterday i was in an important conference and the phone disconnected that conference and my broadband when it rang ,so i decided to take the phone of the hook now ,but my broadband download has now slowed down from 700 kpbs to just over 350 kpbs, is this just a coincidence or can taking phone of hook cause this?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Jan-18 09:45:39
Print Post

Re: leaving phone of hook slow broadband down

[re: freeflowfruits] [link to this post]

Phone off hook changes the current on the line so can have an effect.

Generally if lifting phone changes things either you have a filter issue in the home or a joint that is heading towards faulty on the line somewhere

The key indicator is how are the ADSL stats changing between no phone connected, phone connected, phone connected and handset picked up, phone ringing

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sun 14-Jan-18 10:10:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

We got a new face plate with filter, also plugged in router direct to test socket with new filter and no telephone or any other appliances on in the house yet when i ring my line adsl link goes down, openreach changed line card dslam (cease and re provide) still adsl disconnects, openreach even apparently checked by disconnecting the physical line at exchange and adsl still goes down when phone rings (simulated at exchange end).
so only temporary solution phone of hook, thanks for your answer re the current usage affecting the broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Jan-18 10:18:22
Print Post

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/connectionprobs.htm

John Lewis Broadband
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Jan-18 15:35:13
Print Post

Depends how they are simulating the set up in the exchange when testing ... the use of attenuators to simulate line distance can cause the dropping of sync on calls.

However I have, just once, seen the PSTN equipment in the exchange cause disconnections of sync.

Ask Openreach if they have swapped out the LIC, and if not, try it.

Otherwise, I’m with Mr.S, HR fault coming on

(newbie) Sun 14-Jan-18 18:35:28
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I will try to find out re lic, according to them everything that is concerned with connecting my line at the exchange was swapped for different parts., but when say simulate i mean when line was disconnected the would ring number and monitor at the exchange to see if it was drooping adsl sync without any of my copper wire attached., but if you are referring to high Resistance fault by HR then the engineer apparently tested with his equipment for that and says no fault on line or hr fault.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Jan-18 06:01:51
Print Post

That’s the thing with the faulty LIC hypothesis, since it sits ‘before’ the broadband equipment it is usually ignored, as shouldn’t affect ADSL .... but I have found this to be the cause once.

Worth a punt.

Standard User mikejp
(committed) Mon 15-Jan-18 08:05:02
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

How I hate these TLAs.

For other luddites, found this
" *LIC the PSTN 'port' in the exchange, Btw equipment."
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Jan-18 10:10:56
Print Post