Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User doharrow
(newbie) Mon 22-Jan-18 13:13:35
Print Post

Own router for O2 (Business) Fibre broadband

[link to this post]

Hi all,
Through work, I have an O2 Fibre broadband connection. I believe this is an FTTC connection, and I have the stock O2 router (TG589vn v3).

I'm having problems with the router:
1. Every few days I need to reboot it otherwise strange things happen - some devices can't connect, etc.
2. Every time I reboot, the router loses track of all local LAN DNS entries, so for devices to talk to each other, I basically have to reboot all of them to re-register them in the routers DNS.

So, I have a spare router at home (Billion Bipac 7800N) which I'm hoping I can use to replace the O2 router.

I've tried the Home Access instructions here but without any luck. All I get is:

Jan 01 00:07:17 user kernel: Line 0: xDSL G.994 training
Jan 01 00:07:23 user kernel: Line 0: ADSL link down
Jan 01 00:07:26 user kernel: Line 0: xDSL G.994 training
Jan 01 00:07:32 user kernel: Line 0: ADSL link down
Jan 01 00:07:35 user kernel: Line 0: xDSL G.994 training
Jan 01 00:07:41 user kernel: Line 0: ADSL link down
Jan 01 00:07:44 user kernel: Line 0: xDSL G.994 training

The O2 router is plugged directly into the phone socket, so that's what I tried with the Bipac. Do I need to put a BT modem box (I do have one I was sent originally) between the Bipac and the phone socket? And how would that change the setup params? Or is there some other trick I'm missing?

Thanks
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Jan-18 14:49:59
Print Post

Re: Own router for O2 (Business) Fibre broadband

[re: doharrow] [link to this post]

Iím no expert, but the Billion appears to be trying to connect using ADSL settings rather than VDSL ...

From your description it may be that you need to use the Openreach modem also, but as for other settings .... not sure.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Jan-18 19:09:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by doharrow:
Do I need to put a BT modem box (I do have one I was sent originally) between the Bipac and the phone socket? And how would that change the setup params? Or is there some other trick I'm missing?

http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/index.php?/Knowle...

Hope this helps.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andy88
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Feb-18 22:45:28
Print Post

Looking at this Description...
Billion 7800N

Seems you have to use the (2nd) WAN port for FTTC,
and connect that to an OpenReach Modem... (or other VDSL model in Modem mode)

just at the end of the description it gives the game away
"also has a second Ethernet WAN port, which can be connected to a second ADSL modem or cable modem (and fibre services when they become available - FTTC/FTTP) "

i.e. it is an ADSL/ADSL2+ modem only
with WAN connection mode also available.

OK, does not explain the problems on the line/box for the TG589vn but would get you going on the 7800n
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 01-Feb-18 23:29:34
Print Post

If you think of going the way of the Bipac 7800N that two posters have talked about, I suggest better would be the relatively modern 8800NL R2 that I have. A good all-in-one for FTTC. I'm very pleased with it.

It only has 2.4GHz wifi, but good coverage.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User ninjaef
(newbie) Mon 05-Feb-18 09:11:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Pick up an "EchoLife HG612 Rev 3" VDSL modem off fleabay for about £15. These can be unlocked very easily using standard LAN cable and a PC/laptop, and then open up a whole host of monitoring and stats.

And connect a router to the modem
  Print Thread

Jump to