Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rbz5416
(newbie) Sat 10-Feb-18 12:19:28
Print Post

Is There an Openreach Engineer in the House?

[link to this post]

I'm looking to understand exactly what happens in the exchange to move a FTTC service from one ISP to another.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Feb-18 12:47:22
Print Post

Re: Is There an Openreach Engineer in the House?

[re: rbz5416] [link to this post]

FTTC is terminated at the street cabinet, at the exchange it is just another service using the fibre handover node, so if staying within same wholesaler at the exchange no difference. If moving to a provider with its own fibre handover link then you'll be remapped to join all the other customers on that bit of fibre.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Feb-18 16:55:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Afternoon Andrew

Am I correct in thinking that by "remapping", you mean by software/listing, rather than any obvious physical work?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Feb-18 17:46:00
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Yep, the ‘circuits’ virtual path is rewritten to point it towards the new ISP’s Home gateway.

Standard User rbz5416
(newbie) Sat 10-Feb-18 19:06:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew, but I'm none the wiser, so some context.

I booked a switch from Vodafone to BT for Wednesday. The phone line is switched but the broadband isn't. I'm still connected to Vodafone using their logon credentials & have a Vodafone IP address & speeds (38mbps as opposed to BT's 52). I cannot connect to BT either with their hub or my own router.

All I can get out of BT is the the switch is complete so they just want me to go through endless router reboots & answer the same old questions about extension wiring & master sockets. No one at BT is able to comprehend the issue, so I'm trying to establish what might have gone wrong.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Feb-18 20:44:41
Print Post

It is possible that there may have been a connection to different tie pairs in the cabinet ... and this may not have been successfully carried out by Openreach ...

Or maybe the remote build of the existing port hasn’t been correctly performed ...

Be strong and just carry out the tests they request, tell them it hasn’t resolved it and insist they arrange a ‘BOOST’ visit from Openreach.

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Feb-18 07:59:36
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Morning Zarjaz

Thanks for your earlier confirmation, regarding re-mapping.

Why would such a move from Vodaphone to BT, need a move of the tie pairs in the cabinet, presumably the PCP, given that very rarely is work needed in the FTTC?

I would have thought that your second explanation is much more likely; and if it is confusion with another existing connection, someone elsewhere on the PCP may be encountering problems.

Alternatively, if it has been initiated by BT as a totally new connection rather than a transfer, then there is the possibility of a new, unused tie pair being involved.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Feb-18 08:10:47
Print Post

Morning Eckie,

Well I agree that the 2nd idea of mine offered seems most plausible.

I can imagine a possible scenario where they are running out of spare ties, so the original got allocated to an awaiting order ... and then there’s a mistake made when connections are made at the cab (PCP)

But with no further detail from the OP ... we’re in the dark for now.

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Feb-18 10:44:10
Print Post

Thanks - I had overlooked that strange queue disruption - if one is changing ISP.

Going to the back of the queue if all existing VDSL circuits in the FTTC are occupied.

Makes me very wary of changing ISPs without trying to get an update on the local FTTC situation - and contrary to the supposed ease of changing ISPs.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Feb-18 10:49:32
Print Post

Wait till you see the next engineer you see working at your cab outside, offer tea, ask how many ties are spare ... this doesn’t take into account stopped lines still going through non allocated ties ..

If the answer is, oh there’s 50 spare, feel reassured that your request should go through OK.

Standard User rbz5416
(newbie) Tue 13-Feb-18 20:48:44
Print Post

Well according to the engineer, ISPs rent a number of ports in the cab, necessitating a move of cabling. He said in this instance the cable had been jumpered to BT but hadn't been disconnected from Vodafone.
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Tue 13-Feb-18 20:53:43
Print Post

What a Jackanory!
Standard User rbz5416
(newbie) Tue 13-Feb-18 21:55:54
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Well it's now working & he had nothing to gain from lying...
Standard User TheInstaller
(newbie) Tue 13-Feb-18 22:17:34
Print Post

Yes, you would be moved to a new fibre port in the pcp with a change of provider. The old one you had Vodafone on, will be turned off and then become free for future use by another customer when required.
Standard User rbz5416
(newbie) Wed 14-Feb-18 11:27:36
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
What a Jackanory!

You seem to have forgotten to post your explanation?
Standard User jdigz7
(regular) Wed 14-Feb-18 11:37:31
Print Post

Any moves from FTTC suppliers i've had from BT Wholesale ones or TTB backhaul have all been switched over just after midnight so unless we have engineers visiting cabs at 0:24am and 3am then there is no 'physical' work done as far as my cases.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Feb-18 13:09:57
Print Post

[re: jdigz7] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jdigz7:
Any moves from FTTC suppliers i've had from BT Wholesale ones or TTB backhaul have all been switched over just after midnight so unless we have engineers visiting cabs at 0:24am and 3am then there is no 'physical' work done as far as my cases.

This is my experience as well.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Feb-18 13:48:44
Print Post

????

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Feb-18 13:50:30
Print Post

[re: TheInstaller] [link to this post]

Not always, sometimes just the current port is reconfigured remotely.

Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Thu 15-Feb-18 01:00:17
Print Post

[re: TheInstaller] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheInstaller:
Yes, you would be moved to a new fibre port in the pcp with a change of provider. The old one you had Vodafone on, will be turned off and then become free for future use by another customer when required.
That's certainly not the standard procedure. A switch of supplier requires no visit to the cabinet. OpenReach remotely reconfigure the existing port, usually in the middle of the night.

The OP seems to have had issues with his port being reassigned. In this situation the engineer will have called the DCOE, who probably configured a free port and the engineer rejumpered the line to the new port.

He then went to the OPs property and blurted out a bunch of "Utter and absolute hog-wash" about ISP's renting a set number of ports.
Can you imagine the issues that would cause?
If you wanted to switch ISP you may only have the choice of a single provider as everyone else has used all their ports.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to