Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User wdg
(newbie) Mon 19-Feb-18 09:36:31
Print Post

Safari vs Chrome Speed difference

[link to this post]

I've just been running the BTW speed test. with Safari it gives me about 4Mbps but with Chrome it gives me about 16Mbps. This is consistent!

Any ideas why please? In both sets of runs the "Further diagnostics" cannot give me the full results that I used to get: i now get: "Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information"

Please note - these disparities are ONLY with the BTW test - the thinkbroadband tests come up with the anticipated speeds of about 4Mbps

I do know that there has been a new (fibre) cabinet installed down the village a ways but does this explain the inconsistencies?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Feb-18 09:52:19
Print Post

Re: Safari vs Chrome Speed difference

[re: wdg] [link to this post]

STOP using the BT Wholesale speed test, it is not a useful speed test for day to day testing.

If this was due to cabinet changes then it would show up on all browsers and not just one.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wdg
(newbie) Mon 19-Feb-18 11:27:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your input; I use it periodically to check against past history (never improves!) but I always check against others - mainly thinkbroadband which also has my history.
Still in the dark as to why Safari and Chrome differ tho'!

TerryB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-Feb-18 12:01:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Interesting Andrew.

I am on a 40/10 Contract with EE.

Generally the BTW Tests have been consistent with that, about 37/8.

However over the past week, frequently first BTW Test each morning around 07:00 has been astonishingly high, over 100/8, an extreme being 148/8.

On a couple of days, similar has happened on the first of a group of BTW Tests, repeated to be a group due to the high first reading.

With those very high readings, there has been no obvious shortening of the initial "setting-up", before the 5 second count-down and actual tests - With the 148/8 test, that setting-up period was in fact unusually slow initially, followed by a pause, then bormal, in to the 5 second count-down.

TBB readings have been "normal" at about 36/8, taken immediately after.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Feb-18 13:39:23
Print Post

[re: wdg] [link to this post]

Java, flash, HTML5 differences between browsers and whether speed test author has mitigated for the many oddities that exist or not

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to