Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User freeflowfruits
(newbie) Sun 25-Feb-18 16:06:27
Print Post

Openreach thinking of withdrawing service

[link to this post]

We have been problems for month now with internet/adsl disconnecting randomly and every time the phone rings. Openreach have changed many items at the exchange ,but have not fixed the problem. They have know told my service provider, who has been pressurizing openreach to fix the fault,that they( openreach want to withdraw the service/cease the line, as they can not fix the fault!Can they legal do this, leave us with no telephone and broadband and no mobile reception in a very rural hamlet? Can we not insist to keep the line running?

Any ideas welcome.
Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Feb-18 16:33:50
Print Post

Re: Openreach thinking of withdrawing service

[re: freeflowfruits] [link to this post]

They can withdraw broadband not not basic telephone.

Issue may be if you are with a bundled provider ceasing broadband also ceases phone line

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Feb-18 17:10:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by freeflowfruits:
Can they legal do this, leave us with no telephone and broadband and no mobile reception in a very rural hamlet? Can we not insist to keep the line running?

They can as MrS says, but only for the broadband. Once that is done, it is likely you won't be able to re-order broadband with any provider (who uses Openreach) as the address will be marked as not suitable for service (with current technologies).

You may be able to insist but it may be on the understanding that there may be nothing more than can do and the fault you have isn't one that can be raised any further or has any alternative solutions.

These kind of outcomes are rare but not unheard of.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host

Edited by uno (Sun 25-Feb-18 17:10:53)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sun 25-Feb-18 17:43:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Strange if they can supply my neighbors surely they can supply me? Who can one turn to and complain about unfair treatment with openreach?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Feb-18 19:08:26
Print Post

The contract is with the company you pay for your broadband and phone with.

There is NO legal obligation for Openreach to provide broadband, only obligation is a voice phone line - so question is this, does the phone work when you have unplugged all the broadband kit?

Fixed a missing NO

Edited by MrSaffron (Mon 26-Feb-18 22:13:23)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 69bertie
(member) Sun 25-Feb-18 19:31:23
Print Post

Start thinking political - your MP would be a good place to start.

You really need to find out why OR are going down this route. Maybe you are in the same boat that I was in when I moved in - had a phone line on the house but never gave it a thought that the main box didn't have any spares going back to the exchange. My original set of wires had been given to someone else while the house was empty. Maybe they haven't any spares and your set of wires are naff. Might be OK for voice but not for the internet.

I contacted my MP, I also contacted the CEO of BT (presumably OR have the same setup). I can remember at the time writing to BT along the lines of, 3rd world countries can do better....... I'd just come back from Vietnam where you got connected the same day you ask for an internet connection!

Took 6 months to sort but in the meantime I was given free WiFi access - basically piggybacking on my neighbours already dire connection using their FON side. Not a good way to surf the internet though. Like you, mobile networks were pretty bad at the time - still are, if I was to be so blunt. Go upstairs, or outside, to make a call!

After about 6 months! BT/OR eventually laid new ducts etc back to the next village (3km) and ended up running in a new cable - seems I wasn't the only one waiting.

You don't say what part of the country but a fairly popular way to get connected round these parts is Wireless. Even though we have fibre now, quite a few properties have since gone for the wireless setup, Some have even ditched the phone line totally. You need to find out what is available in your area. Time to think outside the box!

(newbie) Mon 26-Feb-18 07:30:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes the phone always works, it is just a bad line sometimes, it just broadband disconnects when phone rings and at other times. There are not many people here where we live and this happens to about 25% of subscribers according to my research. i would have thought openreach would just say we can not fix it,but you can keep the service as it is now??

Thanks
Standard User kingbiscit
(member) Mon 26-Feb-18 07:39:33
Print Post

I had the exact same issue a few years ago.

I was with Zen internet and had ADSL on a long line. I got a download of 2mbit. Whenever the phone rung ADSL dropped.

I must have had around 15 - 20 engineer visits and no one could fix it. In the end ZEN suggested I try a provider who have there own kit in the cab e.g. SKY, TalkTalk etc T

I switched to SKY and the problem instantly went away.

I'm now back with ZEN with FTTC.

You would just need to be sure your cab is unbundled by the provider you choose.

Edited by kingbiscit (Mon 26-Feb-18 07:41:56)

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Feb-18 10:07:59
Print Post

[re: kingbiscit] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kingbiscit:
I had the exact same issue a few years ago.

I was with Zen internet and had ADSL on a long line. I got a download of 2mbit. Whenever the phone rung ADSL dropped.

I must have had around 15 - 20 engineer visits and no one could fix it. In the end ZEN suggested I try a provider who have there own kit in the cab e.g. SKY, TalkTalk etc T

I switched to SKY and the problem instantly went away.

I'm now back with ZEN with FTTC.

You would just need to be sure your cab is unbundled by the provider you choose.

Sky don't unbundle cabinets.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Feb-18 10:10:50
Print Post

Without access to exactly what Openreach has said this may be exactly what they've said...i.e. providers interpretations of Opennreach messages are not renowned for being 100%.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to