Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User agkq62
(regular) Fri 30-Mar-18 19:24:47
Print Post

WBMC

[link to this post]

My connection is exchange-only-line from the exchange, MYBBY, in the next village so too far for fibre. Until last week my router would sync at around 7000 giving a test speed of 6.0. Now the router is syncing at 10030 giving a download test speed of 8.4.

I have checked the Line Data page on the Zen portal and it says "your current line technology is WBMC." Previously I think it was something like ADSL2.

Not complaining but just wondering what has happened.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Mar-18 22:26:28
Print Post

Re: WBMC

[re: agkq62] [link to this post]

WBC (Wholesale Broadband Connect) and WBMC (Wholesale Broadband Managed Connect) are and always were the two ADSL2+ services available to ISPs from BT Wholesale. Nothing has changed in that respect.

What you may have experienced is a move from either Zen's own backhaul, or don't they also use TalkTalk Business for some as well. I'm not sure about the latter.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71357/13895Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Mar-18 23:34:30
Print Post

BT are supposed to be upgrading all remaining exchanges so that they can run ADSL2+ by year end. Previously these exchanges could only run ADSL which has a maximum connection speed of 8Mbps. I would think that you have just benefited from this upgrade.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Mar-18 23:36:35
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

That looks likely.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71357/13895Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User agkq62
(regular) Sat 31-Mar-18 19:43:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info. It is only a small exchange with BT as the only provider. When it was enabled for fibre I wasn't expecting any ADSL upgrades to take place.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 31-Mar-18 22:02:44
Print Post

smile
By "BT", I assume you mean BT Wholesale? Especially as your OP suggests you are already with Zen.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71097/14070Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-Mar-18 22:33:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by agkq62:
Thanks for the info. It is only a small exchange with BT as the only provider. When it was enabled for fibre I wasn't expecting any ADSL upgrades to take place.
As it is a small exchange it is quite likely that fibres to any cabinets go back to some large exchange. The exchange I am connected to at the moment does not have ADSL2+ yet, but I do have FTTC.

Michael Chare
Standard User agkq62
(regular) Mon 02-Apr-18 09:05:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry, yes BT Wholesale.
  Print Thread

Jump to