Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Roksan
(learned) Wed 11-Apr-18 00:02:41
Print Post

IDNET Outage Then Sync Drop

[link to this post]

Hi: Had an outage today from what I was told it was beyond the Cab & affected a fair amount of people. I had to go out & returned later with all still off, I rang IDNET who said as I thought reboot the router, I did that which I was going to do anyway & I found my speed had dropped from the mid 70's to the mid 60's. I rang support & spoke to a decent guy who 'rang their supplier'

He said they can't find anything wrong & at the end of the day sync/speed 10 lower is still within the parameters (which it is) I'm a bit miffed however to lose 10 off my speed & that's it. Any ideas what caused this? My Router is a TP-Link VR9000 & using the inbuilt modem I'm about 120 metres from the cab. I was told to reboot again & left it half hour, but no change. Speed & sync been consistent for several weeks.

Today: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...

Monday last: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...

ISP ~ IDNet

Previous ISPís ~ CompuServe ~ AOL ~ Force9 ~ RedHotAnt ~ Freeserve ~ Virgin ~ BT ~ Zen ~ Demon ~ VM ~ Origin BB <--Yikes ~

Edited by Roksan (Wed 11-Apr-18 00:06:52)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 11-Apr-18 01:52:27
Print Post

Re: IDNET Outage Then Sync Drop

[re: Roksan] [link to this post]

Are you able to get full line stats from your router? A drop of 10Mbps is common for when Interleaving has been turned on due to errors on the line, when previously Fast Path was on.

Whatever caused your outage could well have caused a lot of errors in a short time, which could cause this.

Your latency, if consistent now at 37ms and previously 28ms also points to this change. The first setting of Interleaving introduces a delay of 8ms.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74026/13734Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Apr-18 02:24:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Or G.INP absence.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 11-Apr-18 09:44:19
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

I thought of that, but G.INP sets the delay parameter to zero. It changes the ďdelay fieldĒ additional latency from whatever it was to 0.

Are you thinking of the D: (interleaving depth) field, which it sets normally to 8 for Bearer 0? Occasionally 16.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74026/13734Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 11-Apr-18 09:46:32)

Standard User Roksan
(learned) Wed 11-Apr-18 10:22:19
Print Post

The TP-Link is a very nice & stable router but IMO it's one failing is the 'teletubbies' interface. It can make it a breeze to setup but gives limited stats, I could hook up one of the modems I have but I don't want to make things worse by more disconnections. I haven't found a way to use Telnet.

The only info I can get is

Current Rate (kbps) 19999 69924

Max Rate(kbps) 28790 70561

SNR Margin(dB) 15.3 6.3

Line Attenuation 15.1 6.7

Errors(pkts) 20 50

ISP ~ IDNet

Previous ISPís ~ CompuServe ~ AOL ~ Force9 ~ RedHotAnt ~ Freeserve ~ Virgin ~ BT ~ Zen ~ Demon ~ VM ~ Origin BB <--Yikes ~

Edited by Roksan (Wed 11-Apr-18 10:23:04)

Standard User Roksan
(learned) Wed 11-Apr-18 14:38:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Are you able to get full line stats from your router? A drop of 10Mbps is common for when Interleaving has been turned on due to errors on the line, when previously Fast Path was on.

Whatever caused your outage could well have caused a lot of errors in a short time, which could cause this.this change. The first setting of Interleaving introduces a delay of 8ms.

Is there an approximate time frame for interleaving to end do you think? As the router never gets switched off & has its own socket. Of course further outages are out of my control?

ISP ~ IDNet

Edited by Roksan (Wed 11-Apr-18 14:40:49)

Standard User Roksan
(regular) Wed 18-Apr-18 20:14:13
Print Post

[re: Roksan] [link to this post]

After much effort on IDNet's part there wasn't a lot that could be done, there were various theories about the sync drop but at the end of the day my connection is within the parameters BT set - I must say the service & effort from IDNet was first class!
And hopefully in time the sync will increase.

I imagine there are lots on here would like a 65 speed anyway. But again, thanks to IDNet for the effort & phone calls they made to me. Reinforces my increasing feeling that at almost 59 years, 'you get what you pay for' smile

ISP ~ IDNet

Print Thread

Jump to