Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Hullabalou47
(newbie) Tue 05-Jun-18 16:10:26
Print Post

Openreach cabinet 19, Holmewood, Chesterfield

[link to this post]

I have been told by my ISP (Vodafone) that the reason Iíve had no internet since 21st May is due to the whole cabinet needing to be replaced due to fire damage! I can see this cabinet from my home and thereís no sign of damage plus, Iíve spoken to neighbours and other locals at my local shop and park and no one else has issues with their internet. Surely if a whole cabinet was not in use more than 1 single household would be affected. Iíve asked vodafone if itís just copper wire that needs replacing to fix mine (which is fairly simple) or fibre. Openreach just keep giving them dates to call back but each time they have no fixed dates for when itís being resolved. Something doesnít make sense to me. I didnít have a landline for a while either but thatís working now
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Jun-18 16:25:35
Print Post

Re: Openreach cabinet 19, Holmewood, Chesterfield

[re: Hullabalou47] [link to this post]

Is this VDSL2 or ADSL that you have?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Tue 05-Jun-18 16:34:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Iím sure itís ADSL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Tue 05-Jun-18 16:49:49
Print Post

Re: Openreach cabinet 19, Holmewood, Chesterfield *DELETED*

Post deleted by Hullabalou47
(newbie) Tue 05-Jun-18 17:07:54
Print Post

Re: Openreach cabinet 19, Holmewood, Chesterfield *DELETED*

Post deleted by Hullabalou47
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jun-18 17:36:27
Print Post

[re: Hullabalou47] [link to this post]

... so itís signal doesnít originate from the cabinet you can see, it is coming from the exchange.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Jun-18 17:50:20
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

This is a speed test
http://tbb.st/1528213032896408355
but you have run it across your Vodafone mobile connection since one presumes the broadband is not working, therefore impossible to know what speed you get your from telephone line based broadband.

The cabinet is around 800 to 1000m away and is believed to be just outside the exchange, so is that the one you can see and it has no damage? NOTE: Likely two cabinets, a PCP (phone connection) and VDSL2 cabinet, and a fire in one might have affected some lines, e.g. fire starter but did not take hold but just a few lines damaged.

The Vodafone App may give some clues i.e. if under the Info Support area its should say what speed you are syncing at, and if it mentions a guarantee at all then you are on VDSL2/FTTC since their ADSL2+ service has no guarantee.

Another way to confirm is logging into the router http://192.168.1.1 and in the status section there is a DSL status area.

If you are on VDSL2 the DSL mode should show VDSL (G.993.5) and further down the page it will show the actual connection stats.

Though if you have no connection at all it may be blank or say something like training.

NOTE: You can have an active DSL connection, but other things are stopping you from having an Internet connection.

Edited by MrSaffron (Tue 05-Jun-18 17:51:28)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Jun-18 18:10:58
Print Post

I believe this is cabinet 19 and the phone exchange is around 200m to the south down the B6039 so if looking for fire damage that is where to look.

That said it does not matter what the cause was, it is about the provider chasing to get it fixed.

If you by some luck have sync i.e. DSL is saying up and reporting connection speeds, then it suggests that the local hardware is OK and it may be something specifically impacting Vodafone broadband customers, and they are still fairly well hence why neighbours probably are all happy.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 05-Jun-18 18:31:24
Print Post

I think you meant to include a link there Andrew smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70370/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Jun-18 19:20:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Believed cabinet 19 location

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.1869457,-1.362435,...

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to