Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User itm1960
(newbie) Wed 19-Sep-18 11:12:50
Print Post

Am I forever locked to the same Openreach cabinet?

[link to this post]

I live in an area (Richmond, West London) where fibre broadband is relatively widely available (FTTC). I live about 1/4 mile from the local telephone exchange. Unfortunately fibre broadband has never been available to me because the local council has refused planning permission for the upgrade of my nearest OpenReach cabinet in the street to fibre. Many/most other cabinets in the area have already been upgraded, so most of my neighbours have FTTC connections.
At the end of last year I switched to Virgin Media broadband as it was the only way to get a faster connection, but the reliability has been appalling (on average, I have had drops in my connection on at least 50% of the days since the service was connected 10 months ago).
I'm now looking at going back to ADSL2, but was wondering whether there was any way that my line could be moved to one of the other OpenReach cabinets in the area which have been upgraded to fibre? Would this be technically or financially unfeasible for the supplier?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Sep-18 11:26:46
Print Post

Re: Am I forever locked to the same Openreach cabinet?

[re: itm1960] [link to this post]

Technically it is of course possible. However, ducts may not be available between them so the cost of doing it could be very high. On a practical level Openreach do not allow this as an option to buy so it is pretty much impossible to actually even ask for a quote.

The fact you have Virgin Media means you won't be covered by any USO or other work and Openreach have no enforced driver to do anything - you already have a connection that is (on paper) "better" than is available to most people who can't get VM.
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Wed 19-Sep-18 12:43:07
Print Post

[re: itm1960] [link to this post]

Do you know why planning permission was refused? If not, find out. Then contact as many people as you can who are on the same cabinet and complain.

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Iain M. Banks -- Feersum Endjinn

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Wed 19-Sep-18 13:33:03
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Conservation area/ heritage site I'd bet
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Wed 19-Sep-18 13:56:30
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
Or the council trying to limit the amount of roadworks.

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Iain M. Banks -- Feersum Endjinn
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Thu 20-Sep-18 20:33:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by micksharpe:

You can't refuse the street works (roadworks) for cabinets as such. If the area is a Conservation area then the local planning authority can refuse planning permission.

The majority of the time, cabinets do not need planning permission to be placed on the public highway. If the local highway authority have an issue with a proposed cabinet location then they can still refuse a location due to safety issues (blocks sight lines at a road junction or similar safety issue). If this happens then generally Openreach/Virgin Media can find an alternative location or move the proposed cabinet so it no longer poses a safety concern.

Take a look at the Electronics Communications Code which covers the companies rolling out fibre networks:
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-interne...
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Thu 20-Sep-18 22:45:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by micksharpe:

A cabinet doesn't need planning permission unless in a specially designated area, like conservation/heritage area.

Council planning departments also have strict guidelines they need to follow.
  Print Thread

Jump to