Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User longedge
(committed) Thu 11-Oct-18 20:16:49
Print Post

Re: Improving Noise Margin & a Possible Bridge Tap

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

Yes MBAM is blocking outward connections for me with a Trojan warning.
Standard User slimj
(member) Wed 24-Oct-18 16:38:07
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Just to update this.

Openreach engineers visited today as I wasn't satisfied with the resolution (speeds seem to have got stuck at 13mbit!). Discussed everything with them and they checked the line, they found an unacceptable amount of errors, they have determined it may be related to a large tree rubbing on and stretching the dropwire to my property. They also noticed the cover on the box at the top of the post (not sure what this is) where the cables connect to had broken off so could also be a factor as it's exposed to the elements.

I advised about the Bridge Tap and they believe the tree and missing cover could attribute to my issues.

Openreach are coming to fix these issues on Friday morning. Fingers crossed they just run fibre all the way to my property... wink
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Oct-18 18:45:46
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

Hmmm, OH and trees is never a good combo .... but it whilst it might give you an HR fault, it wonít give you a bridge tap ...

Good luck, keep us posted.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User slimj
(member) Fri 26-Oct-18 12:18:28
Print Post

Some good news.

The line was replaced this morning and some of the connectors were also discovered to be faulty (where the dropwire reaches the house).

They ran their usual suite of checks and the line had a max connection speed of 27mbit on his hand held device. However, due to a number of CRC and FEC errors he could only get a max speed of around 22mbit (typical of the speed I have seen for the past 3 years) - he was seeing these errors before the line was replaced.

So while the replacement line has solved an issue, they believe that there could be some electrical interference in the area (REIN) causing the errors as a neighbour was also having a similar issue. Mine and my neighbours faults will now be combined and a REIN engineer should be in touch.

Noise margin tends to be ok from 8am to 6pm, then will drop after this. So I guess it's a matter of finding the source of this interference - My initial thought was street lights but there's nothing in close proximity to the lines from what I can see (only 1 on the main road near where the phone line comes out the ground).

Saga sort of continues smile
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Oct-18 12:50:53
Print Post

Good luck getting a REIN engineer out after 6pm.

Did the errors continue after the line was replaced ?

This has clearly been done during the period you say isnít an issue, and yet there were errors then, so I suspect that REIN diagnosis is a red herring.

Standard User slimj
(member) Mon 29-Oct-18 10:30:14
Print Post

By surprise, after another Openreach engineer turned up at 8.30 on Saturday morning to run a few more tests (he also changed some things in the cabinet). CRC errors seem to have gone too. It definitely feels like things have have notably improved since the line was replaced which is great news!

Router stats are currently showing...
Connection Speed: 23554 kbps / 1109 kbps
Line Attenuation: D0( 26.7) D1( 67.0) / U0( 13.2) U1( 71.5)
Noise Margin: 10.4 / 6.2

Unfortunately my Netgear D6400 doesn't give max attainable or any further stats. But I definitely feel this could improve further over the coming weeks.

The only thing I have noticed is that speed tests seem to top out around 14mbit. Indeed, downloading a 3gb update on Xbox last night I seemed to be hitting this as a maximum speed.

Would I need to get Plusnet to check to ensure there my profile is not stuck? It was stuck at this speed just before I had the drop wire replaced.

Many thanks.
Standard User adrenalize_
(newbie) Mon 29-Oct-18 10:58:15
Print Post

IIRC you can enable telnet on the D6400 by going to the debug page:

http://192.168.0.1/debug.htm (or replace the IP with your router IP if different)

You can then telnet to the router to get further stats. I can't remember on the D6400 if you need to log in (often username gearguy and password geardog).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Oct-18 11:55:53
Print Post

Platforms like Xbox live and others are not good judges of whether a connection is running well

If the sync is 23554 Kbps on the download then speed tests should be well above 14 Mbps, so time to link to one of those speed test results, you may have ISP TCP/IP issues too

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User slimj
(member) Mon 29-Oct-18 16:13:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Platforms like Xbox live and others are not good judges of whether a connection is running well

If the sync is 23554 Kbps on the download then speed tests should be well above 14 Mbps, so time to link to one of those speed test results, you may have ISP TCP/IP issues too

Just tried a test with a wired connection. Appears to be the fastest speed I can manage.

My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Oct-18 16:27:37
Print Post

Log into your PlusNet member centre and check what they have configured for the current speed of your line looks like the IP Profile mirror system has missed out on a sync speed changes

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to