Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Baker999
(newbie) Sat 13-Oct-18 11:02:48
Print Post

SSE - upgrading from stock router to Netgear X6, no Internet

[link to this post]

Hey guys

I've upgraded my stock SSE DSL router to an Netgear Nighthawk X6. I also had to buy a basic modem in order to convert the Rj11 connection from my wall socket to ethernet, then connect ethernet into the new router. I've logged into the router etc without issue and have my sse uname and pw for the service (acc#@ssebb.co.uk /password) - the isp had to provide me this. I'm adding these credentials into the routers Internet connection setup page (and choosing PPPoE) but no joy, it just won't connect. I've tried other protocols (L2TP and pptp) no idea why it's not connecting. I suspect the new modem perhaps needs to be logged into and enter the details there instead? However it's not got Wireless and my laptop doesn't have an ethernet connection, so not sure how I'm going to configure the modem!

Any one else had this problem? Any suggestions on why it's failing to connect to Internet?

Cheers!
Dave
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Oct-18 11:20:36
Print Post

Re: SSE - upgrading from stock router to Netgear X6, no Inte

[re: Baker999] [link to this post]

Which “basic modem” is it? And no, modems never require login details. Are you on an ADSL2+ or an FTTC service?

Is the DSL light on the modem showing a connection?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User Baker999
(newbie) Sat 13-Oct-18 11:40:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry its a Netgear DM200-100EUS (amazon). Connected to a Netgear nighthawk X6.

From what i can tell its DSL connection (or ADSL?)... There's a small box (looks like a converter of some kind) that has a telephone socket connection and converts it to rj11... Rj11 then runs into the Netgear modem, then ethernet from the modem to the router. Pretty sure its adsl /dsl connection.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Oct-18 11:56:38
Print Post

Which SSE package have you subscribed to?

'SSE Unlimited Broadband' >>> up to 24 Mb/s (ADSL2+)

'SSE Unlimited Fibre' >>> up to 40 Mb/s (VDSL2 capped at 40 Mb/s)

'SSE Unlimited Fibre Fibre' >>> up to 80 Mb/s (VDSL2)

Some useful info here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-DM200-100EUS-High-S...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Baker999
(newbie) Sat 13-Oct-18 12:23:47
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Unlimited BB.

I've now logged into the modem, added the creds and it seems to have authed and connected. I've then plugged in the router and booted it up. I have tried running the genie app, this fails and page times out. I then set the connection manually by entering the public ip and dns servers into the connection window and this worked. I then changed the connection to "detect automatically" and this also worked, so the Internet is showing as connected, but browsing to any websites is bringing up a cert eror saying the connection is not private etc. So i can't view any web pages.

I'm wondering if the firmware is [censored] or there's a prob with the router, I got it as a warehouse deal...
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Oct-18 12:34:33
Print Post

In that case do a factory reset on both your modem and router, fire them up and let the X6 ''áuto-sense" your connection using the setup wizard - do NOT choose 'manual configuration'. If you really do need to enter PPPoE login credentials then the X6 will automatically bring up up the PPPoE box.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Baker999
(newbie) Sat 13-Oct-18 12:40:03
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Now that (i think) the modem is configured with the ppoe details, I've done a factory reset of the router, powered it up and its created the default WiFi networks. I've connected to it, gone through the setup wizard, and it's showing as "good" status against Internet. There's an ip of 192.168...private ip against the "Internet address"... Surely this should be public ip, or is it getting a nat address from the modem?... I open the browser and try to Google. Com and it says my connection is not private, advanced >proceed > and it redirects me back to the router login page?!! Infuriating!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-Oct-18 12:40:49
Print Post

You may have the Netgear DM200 in its basic router mode and you need to switch it to bridging mode

Is the WAN IP address that is given the X6 corresponding to a public IP address that you would expect from SSE

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Oct-18 13:07:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
You may have the Netgear DM200 in its basic router mode and you need to switch it to bridging mode
Quite. It is very misleading that even the Netgear website itself describes it as purely a modem, when it is obvious from all the setup instructions we have seen that it is a modem/router.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User Scottish_Pete
(member) Sat 13-Oct-18 13:45:41
Print Post

Have tried to get this modem/router set up twice, eventually getting it to work, not without some cursing. Then got rid of it as it kept dropping the connection speed.
As Mr Saffron has said the DM200 has to be in modem only mode, as done here.
Your ISP details are put into the router. Then it is recommended that you switch everthing off, start the modem, leave for couple of minutes, connect LAN port on modem to *EWAN/LAN port of router, start the router up, again leave it a couple of minutes, start computer.

Should find plenty of people with the same problem on the Netgear Forums.

*Not sure which Port it was.

Scottish_Pete

Zen Big Deal Fibre 2 connected to Local Exchange
TBB SPEEDTEST
My BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to