Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Dbren09
(newbie) Tue 20-Nov-18 18:59:51
Print Post

Talktalk router still accessible even though removed

[link to this post]

Hi everyone. I apologise first off if this is in the wrong section, but I am lost for an answer. We have just moved into a new house and had sky q connected. We connected to a talk talk router that was here before we had sky broadband switched on the following day.
Sky broadband was then switched on so I unplugged and disposed of the talktalk router. We then connected our devices to sky, and the signal is great. However, the talk talk router is still showing and accessible. I have forgotten the network and rebooted all devices. On top of this, the sky q box is still showing as connected to talktalk meaning a slow download of on demand programmes.

Again, I apologise if this is not the place, but if anybody has had similar issues, is there a solution?

Thanks in advance smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 20-Nov-18 19:22:00
Print Post

Re: Talktalk router still accessible even though removed

[re: Dbren09] [link to this post]

That sounds to me as though you are or it is connecting to somebody else's TalkTalk router.

If you are on Windows please can you do this:-

Press the Windows key or click the Windows icon at the bottom left of your screen;

Start typing Command prompt

Almost straight away it will come up with that labelled as a Desktop App. Click that and a small black window should appear.

In that type tracert -4 bbc.co.uk
then press Return

That should give you similar to what I get:-

C:\Users\Bob>tracert -4 bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [151.101.192.81]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.asus.com [192.168.1.254]
2 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms bottomless.aa.net.uk [81.187.81.187]
3 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms o.aimless.tch.aa.net.uk [90.155.53.105]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 20 ms 20 ms 19 ms 151.101.192.81

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Bob>

That will tell us if I'm right, then we can shift you to your own connection.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 20-Nov-18 19:24:04)

Standard User Dbren09
(newbie) Tue 20-Nov-18 19:44:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi. Thank you for your response.

I get the same apart from it shows skyrouter.home and sky.com

The talk talk router is unplugged so wondered if the issue was with initially connecting to talktalk and not resetting the sky box or something. I don't know... i am at a loss as to what to do or who to contact.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Nov-18 20:01:12
Print Post

Dumb question, but you say the TalkTalk router is ‘unplugged’

.... but is it unplugged from the mains too ?

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 20-Nov-18 20:09:47
Print Post

Right. So it is definitely just the SkyQ box that seems to be connecting to someone else's router. Take a look at this video to see if you can alter that by changing the Network Connection.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User Dbren09
(newbie) Tue 20-Nov-18 20:13:55
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Completely removed and disposed of at a local refuse site. All i have connected to the socket is the sky router
Standard User Dbren09
(newbie) Tue 20-Nov-18 21:03:13
Print Post

Ok. I have borrowed my father in laws router and his connects everything fine. Think there is an issue with my router. Will get onto sky. Thank you for your help on this and kudos to all
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 20-Nov-18 21:06:17
Print Post

Good luck smile. Let us know how things go.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Nov-18 21:11:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

What would be good to see is a picture of where you are seeing that something is connected via a TalkTalk router.

I suspect that something is saying it is connected to a 'TalkTalk' box but it is really the Sky router, i.e. Sky Q TV box has not refreshed the name of the device it is connecting to the internet by whereas in reality the underlying connection has actually changed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Nov-18 22:35:40
Print Post

If you try to run a speed test on this web site what does this web site think your ISP is?

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to