Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Fri 07-Dec-18 13:22:06
Print Post

Telephone cabling over CAT6

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Is it possible to have a standard telephone socket/cable over CAT6? I understand I will need some sort of adapter, something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-RJ45-Socket-Adapter...

But I can't figure out how to 'link' them all together from the network switch point of view.

Is there a simple way to achieve this? Or am I better off with laying a long cable of telephone cable to other building?

Thanks,

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Dec-18 14:58:41
Print Post

Re: Telephone cabling over CAT6

[re: hypertony] [link to this post]

Do you mean can you use cat6 as telephony calbe (with appropriate plugs/sockets at each end) or do you mean can you carry the telephone calls over an IP network.

If it is the former then the switches are irrelevant - the cable doesn't plug in to any active equipment. Use standard telephone sockets at each end and you can carry the call over cat6 cable.

If you meant the second option then you would need equipment to turn the call into an IP call. I suspect this isn't what you are trying to do. But if you want to carry both network and standard telephony over the same piece of Cat6 then you would have to have a PBX of some kind to turn the incoming telephone line into a VoIP service.

EDIT : One other option that might work is to use some of the pairs in a Cat6 to provide the data and a separate pair to provide the telephone. That way you could use a single cable to do both but would have to split the pairs out at each end to the separate types of socket.

Edited by ian72 (Fri 07-Dec-18 15:00:13)

Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Fri 07-Dec-18 15:32:12
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

1st option... thank you. I'll buy the bits and give it a go. Cheers.

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Dec-18 15:38:10
Print Post

Just make sure the socket connections match the cable core type. Cable can be stranded or solid core - the connections within the socket are designed for one or the other (I believe that IDC push down connectors need solid core but screw terminals I think would be stranded - others here will be able to confirm as I haven't done this type of cable install for ages).
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Mon 10-Dec-18 09:52:52
Print Post

Perfectly possible. What is normally done is that the POTS is punched down on one or more outlets of a patch panel and you can then just patch the telephone to whatever outlet you want using a standard patch lead. At least that is how it is done at my work place and my house, and for that matter my sisters house which I wired. Works just fine.
  Print Thread

Jump to