Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 04-Jan-19 19:29:45
Print Post

Re: Relocating my Modem and Router - Faceplate question

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm not happy with any of this, unless I'm misreading the OP. To me, the following doesn't make sense:-
At present my master socket is in my living room, in an awkward position. A couple years ago I had my house cabled with Cat6 with the termination point being the garage where the patch panel and network switch are. Whilst doing this, the installer ran what looks like Cat5 or Cat6 from my master socket into the garage too.

I now wish to take advantage of this and move my BT Openreach modem and Asus router into the garage. My knowledge of BT faceplates and sockets isn't great. I've unscrewed the master socket and from the top of my head, terminals 2 and 5 have been punched in and are going into the garage. In the garage, the other end of the cable is waiting to be wired into a socket.
How is the master socket fed, for a starter! The OP says the termination is in the garage, where there is a patch panel and a network switch. Plus an unterminated wire he thinks is from the master ending up back in the garage.

That simply does not make sense unless the patch panel and switch are not in use. In particular not connected to the master.

If either of them is feeding the master then the termination is indeed in the garage and the wiring is all wrong. Classic star wiring.

If neither is, i.e. they are not in use and the termination is still on the A/B terminals of the master, then the feedback to the garage needs to me from the auxiliary A/B terminals of the recommended new master faceplate not 2/5, assuming that particular one has such, and connect to 2/5 or whatever the appropriate terminals on the suggested extension are, as it seems to be a dual socket extension with further auxiliary A/B connectors.

I assume the router will feed the network switch. (It's decades since I used to set up modem <> router <> switch configurations so I may have that part a bit confused). Which makes me wonder how any extensions are currently supplied unless all are on wifi from the router.

I also wonder if we are talking about a boarding house/small hotel.

Have I developed brain-fade somewhere when reading the OP?

Thinks - maybe. Perhaps the current master is fed normally, direct from the incoming line and not through the garage. In other words the garage is the termination for the CAT6 network, not the incoming line. In which case we will still have a mess as the suggested filtered faceplate master socket will output VDSL2 + PSTN into the sitting room from the VDSL2 socket. Not ethernet from the router.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 04-Jan-19 19:41:39
Print Post

[re: bapesta786] [link to this post]

The one I linked to comes with the backbone

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 04-Jan-19 19:55:34
Print Post

Re: Relocating my Modem and Router - Faceplate question *DELETED*

Post deleted by RobertoS

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 04-Jan-19 19:56:26
Print Post

Did your CAT6 installer install an ethernet socket in your living room? Or are you intending to connect wirelessly to your router once it is in the garage?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User bapesta786
(newbie) Fri 04-Jan-19 20:56:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I'm not happy with any of this, unless I'm misreading the OP. To me, the following doesn't make sense:-
At present my master socket is in my living room, in an awkward position. A couple years ago I had my house cabled with Cat6 with the termination point being the garage where the patch panel and network switch are. Whilst doing this, the installer ran what looks like Cat5 or Cat6 from my master socket into the garage too.

I now wish to take advantage of this and move my BT Openreach modem and Asus router into the garage. My knowledge of BT faceplates and sockets isn't great. I've unscrewed the master socket and from the top of my head, terminals 2 and 5 have been punched in and are going into the garage. In the garage, the other end of the cable is waiting to be wired into a socket.
How is the master socket fed, for a starter! The OP says the termination is in the garage, where there is a patch panel and a network switch. Plus an unterminated wire he thinks is from the master ending up back in the garage.

That simply does not make sense unless the patch panel and switch are not in use. In particular not connected to the master.

If either of them is feeding the master then the termination is indeed in the garage and the wiring is all wrong. Classic star wiring.

If neither is, i.e. they are not in use and the termination is still on the A/B terminals of the master, then the feedback to the garage needs to me from the auxiliary A/B terminals of the recommended new master faceplate not 2/5, assuming that particular one has such, and connect to 2/5 or whatever the appropriate terminals on the suggested extension are, as it seems to be a dual socket extension with further auxiliary A/B connectors.

I assume the router will feed the network switch. (It's decades since I used to set up modem <> router <> switch configurations so I may have that part a bit confused). Which makes me wonder how any extensions are currently supplied unless all are on wifi from the router.

I also wonder if we are talking about a boarding house/small hotel.

Have I developed brain-fade somewhere when reading the OP?

Thinks - maybe. Perhaps the current master is fed normally, direct from the incoming line and not through the garage. In other words the garage is the termination for the CAT6 network, not the incoming line. In which case we will still have a mess as the suggested filtered faceplate master socket will output VDSL2 + PSTN into the sitting room from the VDSL2 socket. Not ethernet from the router.

Apologies for not being clearer. The patch panel and network switch in the garage are purely for my Cat6 runs which serve my media players and servers etc. They have nothing to do with anything telephone related.

I live in a 2 year old house which has a master socket in the living room and when I got my Cat6 cabling installed, the installer ran (an extension?) a cable from the master socket to my garage. That cable lies unterminated in the garage however the blue/blue-white wires are connected to terminals 2 and 5 in the master socket.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 04-Jan-19 22:05:39
Print Post

Thanks for that, but in some ways even more confusing. To me at least.

Sorry if I go on a bit, but I'm still not convinced you have been advised correctly wrt the sitting room faceplate.

When you say "... my media players and servers etc. They have nothing to do with anything telephone related", do you mean nothing to do with the internet? To me, the internet is in this context telephone related because it comes over the phone wires. Where do they get their content?

Do you intend only to use wifi to access the internet with any devices in the lounge, such as a smart TV? The proposed setup enforces wifi.

The VDSL2 socket in the lounge is not needed, whatever you do if your modem and router are in the garage, as that socket provides output only to a modem or modem/router.

However if you wish to plug a landline phone into the master then you will need either the suggested replacement faceplate and ignore the VDSL2 socket, or retain the otherwise redundant dangly filter into the existing the socket to provide a phone socket.

(A phone cannot be directly connected to that existing socket. It would get a screaming noise from the VDSL2 signal. The dangly filter and also the filtered faceplate allow both VDSL2 and phone signals through to the VDSL2 socket, but filter out the broadband signal from the phone socket).

If you do install the suggested faceplate in the living room then you do not reconnect that wire from the garage to T2 and T5 of that faceplate. You connect them to another couple of terminals on it labelled A and B. If they exist.

If they don't exist then it isn't suitable, as T2 and T5 should just carry the phone signal. Similar to the description of the recommended extension faceplate for the garage, which does have auxiliary A/B for providing broadband further down the chain as long as it got to the extension in the first place smile.

Assuming the incoming telephone line comes directly to the master socket from outside you simply install the suggested filtered extension socket in the garage and as others have said blue/white wires do go to T2 and T5 on the new extension in the garage. Not to the extension's A/B terminals.

Finally, another possibly strange-sounding question. Are there any telephone extension sockets in the house, probably installed by the builder, whether or not you use them? I ask because if there are, and that wire from T2/T5 does go directly into the garage, then your internet speed is already seriously impacted. Quite apart from being unusable for phones without dangly filters.

Standard User dect
(learned) Fri 04-Jan-19 22:25:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I believe the OP said his master socket was in his living room and he currently has a cat 5 or 6 cable connected to terminals 2 and 5 and that cable goes into his garage were it is not currently connected. All he wants to do is connect an extension socket onto the end of that unconnected cable so he can move his modem and router nearer to his patch panel. I believe the information he has previously been supplied by Andrew and I is valid for what he is trying to achieve

Edited by dect (Fri 04-Jan-19 22:45:00)

Standard User bapesta786
(newbie) Fri 04-Jan-19 22:56:18
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
I believe the OP said his master socket was in his living room and he currently has a cat 5 or 6 cable connected to terminals 2 and 5 and that cable goes into his garage were it is not currently connected. All he wants to do is connect an extension socket onto the end of that unconnected cable so he can move his modem and router nearer to his patch panel. I believe the information he has previously been supplied by Andrew and I is valid for what he is trying to achieve

thanks bud - you're spot on. This is what I need in the garage.
This

Should I notice any performance impact?

I don't use the landline much so I'm not too fussed about the living room. I'm happy to leave the faceplate as is and use a ADSL filter as suggested.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 04-Jan-19 22:57:07
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Only as corrected by myself.

Though on re-reading Andrew's first post in the thread I see his final paragraph there does agree with one of my suggestions. His first suggestion, and your agreement, are incomplete in at least two respects and therefore wrong. One way critical, and one way minor.

We have also been supplied with much more information by the OP as a result of my first post. As the existence of the patch panel and network switch, which you both ignored, made no sense until explained by him. There could have been some nasty side-effects. Still may be, hence my latest questions

I will leave you to work out what those two respects are. I have explained them to the OP.

I have further introduced the question of the possible existence of other extension sockets. Nothing to do with the OP's original question, but highly relevant to the performance of the internet connection.

smile.

Standard User dect
(learned) Sat 05-Jan-19 09:25:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by bapesta786:
Should I notice any performance impact?

Most people will say the best possible setup is to have your modem and router connected directly to the master socket (preferably an NTE 5) and I agree with that. If you extend your wiring it does come with risks to your broadband speed (there are so many factors that can affect it) but as the wiring is already there and all you're doing is putting a socket on the end what you got to loose, you can always revert if your unhappy with the out come. Try not to power on/off too many times while your relocating the kit as that can also cause issues like possibly extra interleaving and banding that you'll want to avoid.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to