Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bapesta786
(newbie) Sat 05-Jan-19 09:32:05
Print Post

Re: Relocating my Modem and Router - Faceplate question

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
In reply to a post by bapesta786:
Should I notice any performance impact?

Most people will say the best possible setup is to have your modem and router connected directly to the master socket (preferably an NTE 5) and I agree with that. If you extend your wiring it does come with risks to your broadband speed (there are so many factors that can affect it) but as the wiring is already there and all you're doing is putting a socket on the end what you got to loose, you can always revert if your unhappy with the out come. Try not to power on/off too many times while your relocating the kit as that can also cause issues like possibly extra interleaving and banding that you'll want to avoid.

Ta. I definitely want to avoid multiple power cycles for the reason you mentioned.

I have a spare one of these (link below), would this be ok to use in the garage (with a filter of course) or should i go with what's been mentioned above?

NTE5a
Standard User dect
(learned) Sat 05-Jan-19 09:39:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Good morning Bob,

I am here to use the 30+ years of telecoms knowledge I gained by working for PO/BT during the 70s, 80s and 90s to help others where I can. I am sorry if you feel I made a critical error while trying to help this OP.
Standard User dect
(learned) Sat 05-Jan-19 09:58:58
Print Post

[re: bapesta786] [link to this post]

I have a spare one of these (link below), would this be ok to use in the garage (with a filter of course) or should i go with what's been mentioned above?

NTE5a

Really not a good idea using a master socket (e.g. NTE 5) on extension wiring as it will introduce a second resistor, capacitor and lighting arrester across the incoming line.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bapesta786
(newbie) Sat 05-Jan-19 10:02:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by dect:

NTE5a

Really not a good idea using a master socket (e.g. NTE 5) on extension wiring as it will introduce a second resistor, capacitor and lighting arrester across the incoming line.

Ok ill go with what's been suggested and report back in due course. I have a tool running on a server which connects to the modem to provide me all sorts of line stats for the past few months. At least I've got something to compare to should there be any performance issues.

Thanks for your help on this.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 05-Jan-19 11:32:52
Print Post

Re: Relocating my Modem and Router - Faceplate question *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 05-Jan-19 11:41:56
Print Post

[re: bapesta786] [link to this post]

Ok ill go with what's been suggested and report back in due course. I have a tool running on a server which connects to the modem to provide me all sorts of line stats for the past few months.
I didnít see this post before posting my reply to duct, as Iíd been drafting it for a while and this wasnít there when I started. Then I was interrupted by a couple of long phone calls.

So you do have some sort of internet/ethernet connection to your servers. That clears that up, to some extent at least.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Jan-19 12:18:57
Print Post

Re: Relocating my Modem and Router - Faceplate question *DEL

Removed post due to inappropriate comment about another poster.

Feel free to question/correct/show mistakes but name calling and derogatory phrases are not welcome.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Jan-19 12:21:58
Print Post

On the solwise faceplate filter being wrong

The user guide at https://www.solwise.co.uk/downloads/files/adsl-ntefa... which one presumes comes with the faceplate shows what to do, i.e. connect the unfiltered extension to the A/B connections on the back of the Solwise plate

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 05-Jan-19 12:38:31
Print Post

Re: Relocating my Modem and Router - Faceplate question *DEL

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

How about you agree with what I have said repeatedly in the thread about your (forgivable, as I explained) omission of the vital information about the required connections if the OP had adopted your top suggestion, about fitting the Solwise filtered master socket faceplate?

My corrections have been ignored throughout by yourself and contradicted more than once by the person I seem now to have upset with a very mild colloquial expression frown.

As it stands, and as the now delighted but wrong poster seemed ignorant, the OP could innocently have adopted your first solution and it would simply have not worked!

T2-T2 and T5-T5 would be incorrect with that faceplate. Fine with the existing one which is the way he is going.

You should not have let dect act as he did with his own cocky but invalid statements and comments about my correct posts.

I am still concerned about the other issue I have repeatedly raised, as to whether there are telephone extensions in the house, used or unused. If that wire from the living room to the garage is straight through as implied then are phone extensions must be being fed pre-master, creating bridge taps and severely impacting xDSL.

The only correct info in this thread other than what I have given is your second suggestion and the wiring advice relevant to that, whilst leaving the living room faceplate alone and just fit the filtered extension in the garage. The other poster has been wrong throughout when contradicting me. No wonder I got displeased with him and his ignorance on a subject he claims thirty years plus experience of.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 05-Jan-19 12:41:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You posted whilst I was drafting. But this reply of yours, whilst correct, would rely on the OP reading, understanding and being confident enough not to come back and query the instructions given by the other poster.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to