Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Jan-19 13:47:26
Print Post

Re: Relocating my Modem and Router - Faceplate question *DEL

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

A simple 'you forget to mention that wires will need connecting to the A/B on the faceplate rather than 2/5' would suffice.

As for the rest, there seems to be a disjoint in attitudes so can I suggest chill pills all round, rather than continue down an escalating longer and longer set of explanations that serve no-one.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Jan-19 13:50:49
Print Post

Re: Relocating my Modem and Router - Faceplate question

I think given the attitude shown in later posts the original poster and anyone else is not reading this now...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Jan-19 15:27:57
Print Post

[re: bapesta786] [link to this post]

I'm thinking if you don't understand what is required for a basic fitting then get someone, who knows what they are doing, to do the installation.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 05-Jan-19 15:51:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I think given the attitude shown in later posts the original poster and anyone else is not reading this now...
The only person that matters is the OP. I shall be replying to him in a moment with something else that is rarely mentioned in instructions, that he needs to know.

The fact remains I have been right throughout, you never acknowledged that I was right about the terminals despite dect claiming everything necessary had been said, when it hadn't, and nobody seems at all bothered about the possible bridge taps if there are any phone extensions builder-installed. (Not directly relevant to the original question but important given what now appears to be a sophisticated internet-facing server system).

If there are phone extensions the single wire which may go direct to the garage is a clue. If the wire emerging in the garage is in fact the end of a daisy-chain things are probably OK. If it is direct then those extensions will be screwing up the internet speeds.

You may not care. Dect may not care. The OP needs to be aware of the phone extensions question frown.

Dect may boast of decades in telecoms. I can boast of being a highly successful project manager, which you only become by making sure all contingencies are covered. Avoiding project failure and non-completion, or very late over-budget completion, both of which remain prevalent in the IT world.

My posts did not warrant snotty supercilious sarcasm like:-
In reply to a post by dect:
Good morning Bob,

I am here to use the 30+ years of telecoms knowledge I gained by working for PO/BT during the 70s, 80s and 90s to help others where I can. I am sorry if you feel I made a critical error while trying to help this OP.
It was my mild annoyance at that which you deleted. Dear me frown !

If my post was reported then we clearly have someone with a delicate disposition around who can give but not take. Whether or not it was, an injustice was done by the deletion.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 05-Jan-19 15:53:31
Print Post

Re: Relocating my Modem and Router - Faceplate question *DEL

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
A simple 'you forget to mention that wires will need connecting to the A/B on the faceplate rather than 2/5' would suffice.
See, in my first reply to the OP:-
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The VDSL2 socket in the lounge is not needed, whatever you do if your modem and router are in the garage, as that socket provides output only to a modem or modem/router.

However if you wish to plug a landline phone into the master then you will need either the suggested replacement faceplate and ignore the VDSL2 socket, or retain the otherwise redundant dangly filter into the existing the socket to provide a phone socket.

(A phone cannot be directly connected to that existing socket. It would get a screaming noise from the VDSL2 signal. The dangly filter and also the filtered faceplate allow both VDSL2 and phone signals through to the VDSL2 socket, but filter out the broadband signal from the phone socket).

If you do install the suggested faceplate in the living room then you do not reconnect that wire from the garage to T2 and T5 of that faceplate. You connect them to another couple of terminals on it labelled A and B. If they exist.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 05-Jan-19 16:03:41
Print Post

One thing you also need to note, that is rarely covered in instructions, is that when punching down the wires into the IDC connectors do not strip back the inside insulation. The connectors are designed to cut through it to contact the wire. IDC = Insulation Displacement Contact.

Standard User bapesta786
(newbie) Sat 05-Jan-19 21:09:06
Print Post

Thanks for the replies all. And yes I'm still reading this of course however it seems this escalated quickly. To answer your question - there are no other extensions or sockets in the house other than the master socket.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 05-Jan-19 22:00:16
Print Post

smile

Standard User dect
(learned) Sun 06-Jan-19 10:31:13
Print Post

hopefully when the Cat 5 or Cat 6 cable was connected to the master socket (aka NTE 5) the Blue/White was connected to terminal 2 and White/Blue was connected to terminal 5, if this is the case just make sure you connect the same colours to the same terminals in the extension socket
This clearly refers to what is already there and what the OP needs to do to connect an extension socket to the unterminated cable which was the second option by Andrew, I made no reference to Andrew's first suggestion to replace the master socket faceplate.

I believe the information he has previously been supplied by Andrew and I is valid for what he is trying to achieve
This just confirms our posters were valid it does not say your posts weren't.

The only correct info in this thread other than what I have given
The fact remains I have been right throughout
I will leave others to make up their mines on how you portray yourself in these two posts while communicating with Andrew the moderator

incomplete in at least two respects and therefore wrong
Incomplete doesn't mean wrong! it mean incomplete. If you follow your own theory you would have to tell people even how to use a screwdriver for the advise to be complete.

I am here to use the 30+ years of telecoms knowledge I gained by working for PO/BT during the 70s, 80s and 90s to help others where I can.
This is true so no error here although someone who is looking for a fight and being very aggressive could call it snotty supercilious sarcasm.

I am sorry if you feel I made a critical error while trying to help this OP.
Again not snotty supercilious sarcasm, It was an honest attempt to say sorry for something you wrongly thought I had done.

I can boast of being a highly successful project manager, which you only become by making sure all contingencies are covered. Avoiding project failure and non-completion, or very late over-budget completion, both of which remain prevalent in the IT world.
This explains a lot and not in a good way, the ability to ask relevant questions and separate out waffle from key facts quickly is a skill sadly not everyone has I'm afraid, those who don't have this skill just keep asking more and more irrelevant questions.

an injustice was done by the deletion.
Your post was deleted because it must have over stepped the mark and not for any other reason so no injustice was done. Sadly some people never think they are wrong.

Edited by dect (Sun 06-Jan-19 10:38:29)

Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Jan-19 15:40:08
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

"This explains a lot and not in a good way, the ability to ask relevant questions and separate out waffle from key facts quickly is a skill sadly not everyone has I'm afraid, those who don't have this skill just keep asking more and more irrelevant questions."

Doesn't help!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to