Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bapesta786
(newbie) Wed 09-Jan-19 09:21:17
Print Post

Re: Relocating my Modem and Router - Faceplate question EDIT

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
So you have an extension wired to the faceplate but nothing at the end of the wires

If going to do it so there is minimal impact on any FTTC speeds

Replace the small removable faceplate with https://amzn.to/2SA79aj (when wiring in the new faceplate the extension will need connecting to the A/B terminals on the faceplate rather than simply reconnecting to 2/5 - plate should come with set of instructions showing this) and at the end of extension install https://amzn.to/2Rtrilc

This avoids the needs for microfilters

You can get by without changing anything at the master socket, just make sure that any phones plugged in use a microfilter and then fit the https://amzn.to/2Rtrilc on the end of the extension.

EDIT to make it clear that if going the faceplate route that will need to wire up to A/B on the faceplate for the extension to support ADSL/VDSL

So I attempted to install the extension in the garage. I connected the wires to terminal 2 and 5 however I got no dial tone. I did use the cheap yellow non impact punch down tool however I've borrowed a Krone tool off a friend so I shall re-attempt using this.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Jan-19 10:32:13
Print Post

[re: bapesta786] [link to this post]

Might be worth getting a cheap test meter. Twist the two wires together at one end and check continuity at the other - you might find it is either a duff cable or possibly the wrong cable...
Standard User bapesta786
(newbie) Wed 09-Jan-19 10:39:19
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Might be worth getting a cheap test meter. Twist the two wires together at one end and check continuity at the other - you might find it is either a duff cable or possibly the wrong cable...

Any chance of an Amazon link to one?
I know that it's definitely Cat5 or Cat6.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Jan-19 10:51:33
Print Post

Just a simple electrical test meter would do for a continuity test assuming you can get to the cables at both ends (I am assuming they don't have connectors on the end of them for what you are doing). Something like this.

It won't test the LAN capabilities but if you just want to test the wires have continuity and you definitely have the right cable/pair then it does a simple job very well.
Standard User bapesta786
(learned) Wed 09-Jan-19 10:58:51
Print Post

Just a simple electrical test meter would do for a continuity test assuming you can get to the cables at both ends (I am assuming they don't have connectors on the end of them for what you are doing). Something like this.

It won't test the LAN capabilities but if you just want to test the wires have continuity and you definitely have the right cable/pair then it does a simple job very well.

Nice. Same day too - ordered lol.
I can get to the wires on both ends. So basically twist the blue and blue/white wires on the unterminated side, and remove the faceplate in the living room and contact terminals 2 and 5 using the meter?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Jan-19 11:01:23
Print Post

You will need to take the cable out at the master socket as well otherwise you will be testing the continuity of the master socket as well - it may be ok but better if you can temporarily remove them - and if you have a Krone tool then putting them back in should be no issue.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 09-Jan-19 11:04:01
Print Post

Re: Relocating my Modem and Router - Faceplate question

In reply to a post by bapesta786:
So I attempted to install the extension in the garage. I connected the wires to terminal 2 and 5 however I got no dial tone. I did use the cheap yellow non impact punch down tool however I've borrowed a Krone tool off a friend so I shall re-attempt using this.
Another of my seemingly daft questions, when you got no dial tone, was the master face plate plugged into the wall socket, or hanging loose?

It has to be plugged in.

Edit - Firmly.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 09-Jan-19 11:05:47)

Standard User bapesta786
(learned) Wed 09-Jan-19 11:12:40
Print Post

You will need to take the cable out at the master socket as well otherwise you will be testing the continuity of the master socket as well - it may be ok but better if you can temporarily remove them - and if you have a Krone tool then putting them back in should be no issue.

thanks - i'll try this
Standard User bapesta786
(learned) Wed 09-Jan-19 11:13:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by bapesta786:
Another of my seemingly daft questions, when you got no dial tone, was the master face plate plugged into the wall socket, or hanging loose?

It has to be plugged in.

Edit - Firmly.

Was plugged in smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 09-Jan-19 11:23:36
Print Post

The obvious can be missed smile. Even by people who have been doing the job for years.

Be careful not to strip back much of the inner insulation for this test. You could end up with unreliable ends of the cable.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to