Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User fibrecereal
(newbie) Wed 09-Jan-19 09:24:26
Print Post

Looking for Gfast help .... who can i contact at openreach ?

[link to this post]

Hi all

Im posting here in the hope that someone can help / point me in the right direction of a GFAST issue. I tried openreach via twitter who gave me a contact form but I never heard anything back.

Long story short, our area recently had gfast enabled. I'm on the fringe of gfast being available in terms of distance from cab but here's the odd thing, from the same pole which goes to the same cabinet, gfast shows as being available / amber for all properties on that pole EXCEPT for my property and a neighbour who already currently have FTTC. I've spoken to my other neighbours who don't have internet, and they show as gfast available / amber.

Am I going crazy ? gfast should still show on dsl postcode checker even if you have internet or not right ? but ive checked all properties on the same pole and only the ones which have fttc don't show any gfast info in dsl postcode / address checker. All others show as yes you can order it but its on amber.

I feel this is an issue with a BT database somewhere ? but who / how do I speak to someone to get this sorted ? or is it just not worth bothering to check ?

Thanks
Standard User brookheather
(regular) Wed 09-Jan-19 16:25:45
Print Post

Re: Looking for Gfast help .... who can i contact at openrea

[re: fibrecereal] [link to this post]

What is your current FTTC sync rate shown by your VDSL modem? If much less than 80Mbps then G.fast is going to be too slow and so is probably not shown as available. Other properties who don't have FTTC won't have a reliable current speed estimate which is why they show as amber.
Standard User fibrecereal
(newbie) Wed 09-Jan-19 17:26:36
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

hi brookheather

Thanks for responding. What doesn't make sense to me is why all properties on the same pole don't show as gfast amber ? surely it should show irrespective of if you have a current internet connection already or not ?

See here

https://imgur.com/a/IJweDwW

First image with measured vdsl speed is my property, second and third are neighbours either side all on same DP. I cant post all nearby properties but it follows same pattern that those with fttc don't have any entry for gfast, whereas those that don't have fttc do show a gfast entry. When I go into Zen and use the addresses for the properties that do have a gfast entry, if I go to zen, it does show up as ultrafast being available and I can potentially place a gfast order (despite it showing amber)

So why does it feel like im being punished for having FTTC already ? it makes no sense ?

Edited by fibrecereal (Wed 09-Jan-19 17:27:34)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brookheather
(regular) Wed 09-Jan-19 17:34:29
Print Post

The best G.fast estimates for your neighbours are not much better on the download than your VDSL and are substantially slower on the upload - I really wouldn't bother - you are on the distance limit for G.fast and I don't think you will get a stable connection - this is based on other forum posts from someone who had similar estimates to you - they cancelled it after trying it out.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Wed 09-Jan-19 19:26:18
Print Post

fibrecereal

The difference OR know that you will get a g-fast service below the limits they want to sell, while those without FTTC are estimated to be right on the boundary but they don't know until they have a measurable service.

Each DP has an estimate, assuming a standard drop wire distance, once they have service from a fibre cab the estimate is over written by the actual.

If you could optimise your connection in home to get to 80/20 you too would be amber! ( No extensions, short run to the modem/router, best modem/router for the cab type).

Otherwise as brookheather has said, there would be little benefit in G-fast for you and the connection may be unstable. ( Do you need the extra 20 Mb down and to lose 4Mb up?)
Standard User Nightglow
(member) Wed 09-Jan-19 21:29:16
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Got same problem with G Fast here,my cabinet is enable, but I miss out due to cable doubling back,adding 100mtrs plus to my distance.
Did contact OR, they have no plans to sort out G Fast for my end of village, but suggest a Community Fibre Partnerships (CFPs) A CFP is where we work with a local group representing two or more premises to bring superfast, or ultrafast, to an area.

https://communityfibre.openreach.co.uk/

Edited by Nightglow (Wed 09-Jan-19 21:48:20)

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Fri 11-Jan-19 22:10:42
Print Post

The Amber status is very different from available.

If the low range B estimate is below 100Mb then it shows Amber.
All of your neighbours have a Range B Low estimate considerably below this.

I haven't seen a single example of G.Fast showing where the Range A is below 100Mb.
It's possible this is the situation with you and your neighbours line.
It's not necessarily a database issue.

With those type of estimates IF you managed to place an order then you might gain a little downstream, but you'll likely half your upstream.
  Print Thread

Jump to