Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 11-Jan-19 14:58:18
Print Post

Re: RJ11 cable issue

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

One of the cables I've bought was that very one from Kenable. I have 4 from different suppliers, can't see them all being faulty.

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 11-Jan-19 15:09:16
Print Post

[re: radar] [link to this post]

A faulty NTE5c is possible. I will try going in to the test socket with a splitter and see what results I get there.

EDIT: Just had a look, it's the latest Mk4 type 5C.

At present I'm waiting for bits to arrive so I can test various scenarios. I have a new EE Smart Hub arrived this morning. This has a 3 metre RJ11 cable in the pack. I've also bought a spare splitter/filter and that came with a 1.3 metre cable. Going further down the thought path that adding 3 metres reduced the speed by 12Mbps I've bought a 0.5metre lead as well, to see if that increases the speed smile

For various reasons, I don't want to be swapping kit about during the daytime. I'm waiting until I have all the items I need and will then spend a while experimenting with various setups. I'm also loath to lose my current connection as it's the strongest and fastest I've seen in ages. I'm logging speed tests of 60/10 whereas I was getting 56/9 - not much difference but it was in the right direction for once.

EE Fibre Plus

Edited by TMCR (Fri 11-Jan-19 15:12:14)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 11-Jan-19 15:25:47
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

I'm waiting until I have all the items I need and will then spend a while experimenting with various setups.
Just remember not to do too much re-sync'ing in a short period, you may find you achieve a good result then get banded overnight to a speed 10Mbps lower or worse.

That can prove problematical for a long time unless you are very lucky.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 11-Jan-19 15:26:23)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Psychoviking
(newbie) Fri 11-Jan-19 16:14:04
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

Hi

Have you tried one of these from Amazon:

MCL 5m RJ11 6/4 Cable for ADSL Lines - it is of far better quality than the one supplied by Plusnet but that is no real surprise. It will set you back £6.70 plus delivery.
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Fri 11-Jan-19 21:55:36
Print Post

Copper clad steal can be detected with a magnet.
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sun 13-Jan-19 13:49:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Just remember not to do too much re-sync'ing in a short period, you may find you achieve a good result then get banded overnight to a speed 10Mbps lower or worse.

That can prove problematical for a long time unless you are very lucky.

Bearing that in mind, keeping off/on cycles as low as I can.

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sun 13-Jan-19 13:51:16
Print Post

[re: Psychoviking] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Psychoviking:
Hi

Have you tried one of these from Amazon:

MCL 5m RJ11 6/4 Cable for ADSL Lines - it is of far better quality than the one supplied by Plusnet but that is no real surprise. It will set you back £6.70 plus delivery.

I've tried 4 different cables so think I can dismiss those from the problem. Thanks for the tip though. The cable supplied by EE was giving the best results so their's cannot be as bad as Plusnet's smile

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sun 13-Jan-19 14:13:09
Print Post

OK - here's where I am now.

I tried the old setup direct to the test socket with a BB splitter. Made no difference to the speed with the original cable and still got a 12mbps drop when I swapped to a 5 metre length. The NTE5c is therefore ticked off as 'OK' I think.

EE sent a new Superhub to replace the BrightBox2 I had. I've now set this up and had to spedn some considerable time setting everything back up as the 'backup' from the old device obviously didn't work in the new, and configuring that was very much a learning curve I can tell you... Took me over an hour to get things reconnected here. But that's not the issue.

The SuperHub came with a longer RJ11 cable, it's about 3 metres, and I've used that whilst setting everything up. The speed I am getting is similar to what I had before, and without using a 5m length as yet. I'm wary of upsetting 'external forces' by reconnecting the router too often.

I was about to try the longer cable when the EE service went off on it's own... I'll retry later.

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User dect
(regular) Sun 13-Jan-19 19:22:47
Print Post

Am looking forward to the next instalment of you solving this issue smile
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sun 13-Jan-19 20:36:03
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

I wish I was solving it... Latest was to try a 5 metre RJ11 cable, speed before was
My Broadband Speed Test
but the speed after putting that in line was
My Broadband Speed Test

I despair...

EE Fibre Plus
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to