Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ironman12345
(member) Thu 31-Jan-19 20:46:36
Print Post

Re: RJ11 cable issue

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Realalemadrid:
What do you mean by internet adapter? The latest posts show varying modem/router sync speeds with different cables which would not be affected by device settings or the mysterious internet adapter.

The "internet adapter" that I am referring to is a hardware card that is part of the internet settings and where the RJ45 cable is plugged in.
There are setting in windows to change the way that card see`s and reacts to the internet , so I would check those settings.

Edited by ironman12345 (Thu 31-Jan-19 21:02:41)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-Jan-19 21:18:33
Print Post

[re: ironman12345] [link to this post]

And does not affect the sync speed as reported by the modem

You are heading off down a blind alley in my opinion

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Thu 31-Jan-19 21:40:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
And does not affect the sync speed as reported by the modem

You are heading off down a blind alley in my opinion

That is true , but if the RJ11 cable is not at fault and according to the OP there is a no noise phone line then I just thought it might be an idea.
But other things like distance or the ISP could be at fault.?

Edited by ironman12345 (Thu 31-Jan-19 21:41:54)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-Jan-19 21:53:38
Print Post

The distance from master socket to exchange/cabinet is a constant if the only thing changed is a cable in the home
The ISP is a constant to.

Remember noise that you can hear is just a little fraction of the noise across the radio spectrum

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Thu 31-Jan-19 22:03:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The distance from master socket to exchange/cabinet is a constant if the only thing changed is a cable in the home

Remember noise that you can hear is just a little fraction of the noise across the radio spectrum

Then there is nothing the OP can do , but I guess he/she could contact the ISP with the same question.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Fri 01-Feb-19 14:56:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by ironman12345:

Then there is nothing the OP can do , but I guess he/she could contact the ISP with the same question.

What would that achieve?

Hello my ISP the cable you supplied me works brilliant and gives me a great sync but the cheap longer cable from eBay is useless?

This isn't the ISP's issue, it's the OP's.

I've had similar from multiple cables. The worst performing being the most expensive, a Belkin cable costing about £12.

In the end I purchased a solid core cable from a trusted seller based on the recommendation of others and achieved a satisfactory result.

My end result is a drawer full of cheap, poor performing cables that cost considerably more than the 1 guys cable I should have bought in the 1st place.
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sat 02-Feb-19 14:40:30
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Yes, I was being sarcastic about an ill informed post by ‘Tripslaw’

I was using the opportunity to fill in those gaps wink

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sat 02-Feb-19 14:50:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by ironman12345:

But this OP is puzzled as to why changing the bit of wire makes such a difference when many others have said it shouldn't have that effect.
4 different 5 metre lengths tried, one made with CAT5e cable, plus one 10 metre because someone suggested that 5m might be a magic number that was causing the issue
I have contacted my ISP and they're as puzzled as anyone else but, as pointed out, the cable they supplied is the one giving best results. It's just not long enough to site the router on a safe shelf instead of the end of my desk where I've had to use cable ties to stop it falling off.
Going back over this thread will show that I've tried all sorts of things, removing the faceplate to use the test socket was one of the first.
It looks like I had better tighten up the cable ties as the router will be staying where it is.

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 02-Feb-19 15:04:16
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

Is it a router than can hang on a wall, and if it is - maybe on the side of the desk?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sat 02-Feb-19 15:29:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Is it a router than can hang on a wall, and if it is - maybe on the side of the desk?

Nope, new EE Smarthub. Can't see any way it would hang anywhere, apart from by cable ties.

EE Fibre Plus
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to