Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Wed 09-Jan-19 15:04:15
Print Post

RJ11 cable issue

[link to this post]

I am with EE and have a Brightbox 2 router. I get around 59mbps download (9.2 up) speed using the 2 metre RJ11 cable that came in the box. The Openreach socket is a new-ish Master 5C with 2 outlets. No phone line plugged in, we don't use the landline.

I want to move the router and bought a 5 metre RJ11 cable. To my dismay, changing the cable resulted in a 12mbps drop in speed ! I changed the cables a few times, in case I had a bad link, same result. I bought another new cable, in case the first one was faulty. Nope, same result.

I then found a 5 metre cable made with CAT5e so bought that, the drop was only 10mbps, but still very significant. All told I now have four 5 metre cables, from different sources (to rule out a bad batch) and get the same problem if I swap in a 5 metre one.

I brought this up on the EE community forum and have also contacted EE tech support. Nobody seems to know why changing the cable for the same spec or even better spec would cause such a drop in speed.

EE have done remote tests on the router, all is OK as far as they can tell. They have no idea why I should see such a drop in speed and have nothing on their system from other customers like this. The line itself was re-provisioned in July 2017 and fully checked by Openreach at the time.

I've a few ideas to try. One is to swap out the router and try another, I have one on it's way. Another is to make an extension to the Openreach socket and put a broadband splitter on so the change in distance is via phone line, not the RJ11 wire.

But, it still sounds odd that a short distance change in a bit of cable can cause such issues... Just to test the theory that it is significant I'm going to try a short run of cable too, see if that bumps the speed up at all smile

Has anyone ever seen anything like this though ?

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 09-Jan-19 15:28:42
Print Post

Re: RJ11 cable issue

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

When you change the 2-metre for a 5-metre, are you checking with the router in the original location, or at the desired new location?

I assume you are doing it at the current one, but I'm just making sure. In case something at the desired location is causing the problem.

Edit: Also are you talking about the sync speed, or speed test results?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 09-Jan-19 15:30:32)

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Wed 09-Jan-19 16:03:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Good point, but at the same location, no move made apart from change of cable. Knowing that I'll need to swap it back... smile

Speed test results and sync speed - both are affected by changing the cable.

Sync speed changed from
Upstream 9928 (Kbps)
Downstream 59460 (Kbps)
to
Upstream 9865 (Kbps)
Downstream 48292 (Kbps)

Speedtest from
59.30 Mbps 58.55 Mbps 9.03 Mbps
to
42.94 Mbps 30.17 Mbps 7.59 Mbps

giving typical examples from my profile results.

EE Fibre Plus

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dect
(learned) Fri 11-Jan-19 08:41:57
Print Post

Hi TMCR

Just a pure guess.

could all the 5m replacement RJ11 cables you bought be using either CCA (copper clad aluminium) or CCS (copper clad steel) rather than just copper as that could affect the speed over a short distance.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 11-Jan-19 13:28:37
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Or are constructed so that the twisted pair is not used.

A 5 or 10m cable SHOULD NOT introduce anything like this sort of speed drop

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Fri 11-Jan-19 14:35:13
Print Post

I've used a >20m cat5e cable to connect my router to the master socket, and there is absolutely no change in stats.
Standard User brookheather
(regular) Fri 11-Jan-19 14:43:20
Print Post

I use a 5m RJ11 cable and have no issues with speed drop compared to the standard 2m flat cable. I purchased the "kenable ADSL 2+ High Speed Broadband Modem Cable RJ11 to RJ11 5m WHITE" from Amazon for a couple of quid.
Standard User radar
(regular) Fri 11-Jan-19 14:53:21
Print Post

It could be a fault with NTE5c in that the inbuilt VDSL/ADSL filter is faulty.
It could be causing a dip in the HF response of the overall line combined with the extra 3m of cable on the rj11 lead. Just a wild guess, but it may be worth replacing the NTE with a new one.

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 11-Jan-19 14:56:11
Print Post

Copper clad is a possibility, but no way of knowing without stripping the cable back.

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 11-Jan-19 14:57:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

One of the extensions uses CAT5e cable... ?

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 11-Jan-19 14:58:18
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

One of the cables I've bought was that very one from Kenable. I have 4 from different suppliers, can't see them all being faulty.

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 11-Jan-19 15:09:16
Print Post

[re: radar] [link to this post]

A faulty NTE5c is possible. I will try going in to the test socket with a splitter and see what results I get there.

EDIT: Just had a look, it's the latest Mk4 type 5C.

At present I'm waiting for bits to arrive so I can test various scenarios. I have a new EE Smart Hub arrived this morning. This has a 3 metre RJ11 cable in the pack. I've also bought a spare splitter/filter and that came with a 1.3 metre cable. Going further down the thought path that adding 3 metres reduced the speed by 12Mbps I've bought a 0.5metre lead as well, to see if that increases the speed smile

For various reasons, I don't want to be swapping kit about during the daytime. I'm waiting until I have all the items I need and will then spend a while experimenting with various setups. I'm also loath to lose my current connection as it's the strongest and fastest I've seen in ages. I'm logging speed tests of 60/10 whereas I was getting 56/9 - not much difference but it was in the right direction for once.

EE Fibre Plus

Edited by TMCR (Fri 11-Jan-19 15:12:14)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 11-Jan-19 15:25:47
Print Post

I'm waiting until I have all the items I need and will then spend a while experimenting with various setups.
Just remember not to do too much re-sync'ing in a short period, you may find you achieve a good result then get banded overnight to a speed 10Mbps lower or worse.

That can prove problematical for a long time unless you are very lucky.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 11-Jan-19 15:26:23)

Standard User Psychoviking
(newbie) Fri 11-Jan-19 16:14:04
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

Hi

Have you tried one of these from Amazon:

MCL 5m RJ11 6/4 Cable for ADSL Lines - it is of far better quality than the one supplied by Plusnet but that is no real surprise. It will set you back £6.70 plus delivery.
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Fri 11-Jan-19 21:55:36
Print Post

Copper clad steal can be detected with a magnet.
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sun 13-Jan-19 13:49:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Just remember not to do too much re-sync'ing in a short period, you may find you achieve a good result then get banded overnight to a speed 10Mbps lower or worse.

That can prove problematical for a long time unless you are very lucky.

Bearing that in mind, keeping off/on cycles as low as I can.

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sun 13-Jan-19 13:51:16
Print Post

[re: Psychoviking] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Psychoviking:
Hi

Have you tried one of these from Amazon:

MCL 5m RJ11 6/4 Cable for ADSL Lines - it is of far better quality than the one supplied by Plusnet but that is no real surprise. It will set you back £6.70 plus delivery.

I've tried 4 different cables so think I can dismiss those from the problem. Thanks for the tip though. The cable supplied by EE was giving the best results so their's cannot be as bad as Plusnet's smile

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sun 13-Jan-19 14:13:09
Print Post

OK - here's where I am now.

I tried the old setup direct to the test socket with a BB splitter. Made no difference to the speed with the original cable and still got a 12mbps drop when I swapped to a 5 metre length. The NTE5c is therefore ticked off as 'OK' I think.

EE sent a new Superhub to replace the BrightBox2 I had. I've now set this up and had to spedn some considerable time setting everything back up as the 'backup' from the old device obviously didn't work in the new, and configuring that was very much a learning curve I can tell you... Took me over an hour to get things reconnected here. But that's not the issue.

The SuperHub came with a longer RJ11 cable, it's about 3 metres, and I've used that whilst setting everything up. The speed I am getting is similar to what I had before, and without using a 5m length as yet. I'm wary of upsetting 'external forces' by reconnecting the router too often.

I was about to try the longer cable when the EE service went off on it's own... I'll retry later.

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User dect
(regular) Sun 13-Jan-19 19:22:47
Print Post

Am looking forward to the next instalment of you solving this issue smile
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sun 13-Jan-19 20:36:03
Print Post

I wish I was solving it... Latest was to try a 5 metre RJ11 cable, speed before was
My Broadband Speed Test
but the speed after putting that in line was
My Broadband Speed Test

I despair...

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Jan-19 21:01:28
Print Post

Hmm it can only be the cable really, or interference in the home.

I have used this in the past, and found it gave me a slight boost over the 3M cable supplied with a BT Smarthub, which is the same as the EE Smarthub + 3M cable as far as I know.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Telephone-Extension-Broadba...
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Jan-19 21:45:26
Print Post

Could it not be that the issue isn’t with the RJ11 cable ?

There’s an awful lot of stuff before the cable.

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sun 13-Jan-19 21:52:46
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Hmm it can only be the cable really, or interference in the home.

I have used this in the past, and found it gave me a slight boost over the 3M cable supplied with a BT Smarthub, which is the same as the EE Smarthub + 3M cable as far as I know.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Telephone-Extension-Broadba...

Well, I've tried 4 different cables and all gave similar results.. Even one made with Cat5e cable. I'm a little hesitant in ordering yet another one but will give it a try.

Not sure what sort of interference would be so consistent. The socket and router are left in the same place, I just change the bit of wire.

I still have to try using a phone extension cable and a BB splitter with the short RJ11 connection. I'm just holding back on making too many changes at once to prevent the service being restricted.

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sun 13-Jan-19 21:56:28
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Could it not be that the issue isn’t with the RJ11 cable ?

There’s an awful lot of stuff before the cable.

Well, that's a possibility. The EE tech person ran a lot of tests and said the line was OK, as was the router as far as they could tell.

I've run a couple of tests using the test socket and got similar results so am still stumped as to why this happens every time I swap the cable up to a 5 metre length.

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Jan-19 21:56:41
Print Post

It's the weirdest issue I have ever seen, to be honest!

Can you take pictures of your setup?
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Mon 14-Jan-19 09:56:12
Print Post

Hi

The most likely cause is signal reflection due to the daisy chaining a long length of a different wire and/or the total length now hits the sweet spot for signal reflection. What is the power output being reported as on the extended cable and as it was? I'm guessing the DSLAM is reducing power when the longer cable is added, this reduces your sync speed.

You may find a longer length is okay, so if you can try 7 metres or 10 metres that might be better. Also if you are testing this with the cable coiled up rather than at the actual location with the cable length run out, that may also be causing issues, as you will be giving yourself cross talk with your own line, this will be arriving back at the DSLAM where it reduces power in order to reduce the amount of cross talk.

Regards

Phil
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Mon 14-Jan-19 14:12:48
Print Post

The vast majority of patch cables are cheap tat and are either untwisted, stranded, CCS/CCA or a combination of all of the above.

I use a 0.5mm solid core copper, twisted pair, and see zero drop in sync over 0.5m or 10m.
CW1308!
I have a 1000m+ run of it from the cabinet to my master socket so a couple metres of Cat5e isn't going to make a huge difference.

I used to recommend people buy patch cables from Vince aka MrTelephone on eBay. He made fantastic cables but is no longer selling these.

I also like these
https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-patch-leads/
They are Cat5e and have the correct connectors on each end, RJ45 to RJ11. Their delivery is expensive though.

The OpenReach filtered faceplates have an RJ45 port and although RJ11 fits it isn't as sturdy as a proper RJ45 connector.

With what you've probably spent you may have been cheaper buying a crimping tool, plugs and a length of decent cable and making your own.

Edited by j0hn83 (Mon 14-Jan-19 14:14:28)

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Wed 23-Jan-19 16:56:55
Print Post

OK, an update on this... I've not been well and also a bit wary of disconnecting and reconnecting the line too often, so spaced tests a few days apart.

Using a new EE SuperHub I get the following results:

With 5m cable:
My Broadband Speed Test
46.92 Mbps / 8.19 Mbps

with 5m CAT5e cable:
My Broadband Speed Test
56.41 Mbps / 8.16 Mbps

using 3m cable that came with router :
My Broadband Speed Test
60.76 Mbps / 8.28 Mbps

The download speed has improved since using the new Superhub instead of the old Brightbox2 although upload speed has dropped. That is, when using the supplied cable as that gives best download results.

The Brightbox 2 gave me (using the supplied 2m cable)
My Broadband Speed Test
58.49 Mbps / 9.77 Mbps.

The best I ever got from the Brightbox2 was
My Broadband Speed Test
60.21 Mbps / 10.86 Mbps

I'm lost when it comes to finding info about power output but I'm not daisy chaining cables, I'm swapping out the supplied RJ11-RJ11 as it's too short to put the hub on a safe shelf. Instead it's sat at the far end of my desk with the wire over the fireplace between it and the Openreach socket.

I'm also confused by the suggestion to use a RJ45 to RJ11 cable? The RJ45 is the phone outlet isn't it? That would need a filter, which then goes to a RJ11 socket. I have such a bit of wire but it does nothing when connected to the hub. I didn't think it would.

CW1308 is mentioned, that is telephone cable - I am talking about the router connection, connected to the RJ11 (filtered) socket of the Openreach 5e.I don't have any extensions. The Openreach socket was a new install in July 2017, I hadn't had a 'BT' line in about 20 years so the line had to be re-provisioned. Lots of tests done at the time, some of the external wire replaced, all OK. The only change was to swap the front plate to the dual outlet, rather than have a splitter dangling.

Again, looking at the four different cables I've tried, I would discount them all being dodgy. One is, as noted, made with CAT5e cable and gives the inbetrween result, but still lowers the download speed.

I think I have previously said that the cables are run over the same route, I don't move the router to a different position, even though that's what I want to do. I don't leave them coiled, I unroll them and do my best to have a straight run without bends. But, for the hell of testing, I tried running the new 5m cable where I wanted it to go, under the carpet edge around the fireplace and up to the shelf where I want the hub to go I lifted the hub up, connected it, and got the same results...

It's got to the point where I don't think I'm going to get this to work. A suggestion to try a longer length has not yet been tried. I will order one and see what happens, but am giving up on this one. Te hub will have to stay where it is. It's got it's own patch in the dust on the end of the desk now...

For those that want to know. Here are the cables I bought:
5m - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-RJ11-ASDL-Cable-Black-...
5m CAT5e - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5M-Metre-RJ11-to-RJ11-Hig...
I had bought another 5m RJ11-RJ11 but it's gone off my purchased items list now.
I also used the supplied cabled from the brightbox2 (2m) and the superhub (3m)
All were run the same distance between the hub and the socket. I also tried taking the faceplate off an using a splitter in the test socket, no difference noted.

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User tripslaw
(newbie) Fri 25-Jan-19 10:05:10
Print Post

A long shot – check whether good cable has only two wires, but others have four. If connected via the telephone circuit, extra wires might introduce noise.
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 25-Jan-19 14:10:15
Print Post

[re: tripslaw] [link to this post]

I have two 'good' cables, the ones supplied with routers by EE. These have only 2 pins connected, but look to have 4 wires. The other 4 cables I've bought, including the one made with CAT5e, have 4 pins connected.

These are not in the telephone circuit as such, they are connected in the faceplate in the Broadband socket or, in testing, to the test socket behind via a filter. As I've said before, I've tried 4 different 5m cables and all have resulted in a speed drop. The CAT5e to a lesser degree.

If it had been a bad cable then perhaps one of the four would be playing up, but the puzzling issue is that all 4 produce a speed drop. I am awaiting a 10m length to follow someone else's suggestion that 5m was a 'sweet spot' and maybe a longer length may reduce the speed drop. It sounds crazy but I've seen dafter things produce results.

Several people have said that a 5m length should not result in a speed drop. I've done lots of swapping about to get the results I've had. I've been told I need to be reporting the synch speeds, not the speed tests, so when I try again I'll use those.

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User tripslaw
(newbie) Fri 25-Jan-19 17:56:07
Print Post

The connection needs only two wires acting as a balanced transmission line. If the “good” cables both have only 2 gold contact pads, and the “bad" ones all have 4, a possibility is that the extra wires somehow unbalance things. In particular, look for connections at the sockets to the additional wires.
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sat 26-Jan-19 13:54:30
Print Post

Getting a bit beyond my capabilities now... However, all the cables I've bought are sold as replacements to the supplied ones. I'm told that other people don't have this problem using the same cables, one supplier commented that they had sold thousands of these and had never heard of a drop in speed like this.

Once again, I'll point out that I've had 4 different cables from 4 different suppliers and a bad cable does not seem to be the diagnosis, unless all 4 are bad and that's one heck of a bout of bad luck ! smile

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User tripslaw
(newbie) Sat 26-Jan-19 21:37:05
Print Post

The speed you get with a DSL connection is in part determined by the signal to noise ratio, as I am sure you know. Therefore it is a fair bet that line noise is somehow increased by the “bad" cables. Common mode noise (induced equally on both conductors of a balanced pair) should be largely rejected by the modem input stage.

You may therefore be looking for something that unbalances the configuration. This might be capacitance to an additional wire in the cable which is connected to ground, or to some other wiring. You could make up a longer 2 wire cable to try using a RJ11 coupler, and indeed try different cable pairings. You could also try a common mode filter core.

Also check if your master socket has an earth connected, and if so try it disconnected.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Jan-19 22:16:43
Print Post

Also check if your master socket has an earth connected, and if so try it disconnected.

.... because you may not have noticed the humming noise on the line ???

.... because your installation has remained unchanged since lines needed an earth connection way back when ???

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Jan-19 02:20:28
Print Post

It would be more meaningful & fairer to be comparing sync speeds with the various cables & routers & noting the attenuations & NM that go along with them.

It is the sync speed that these RJ111 cables are "carrying" not the throughput. Why introduce the variability of speedtests & their remote servers into a purely local problem?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Wed 30-Jan-19 20:57:22
Print Post

.... because your installation has remained unchanged since lines needed an earth connection way back when ???

No phone connected normally, unplugged. Checked, no hum or crackle.using a wired handset.

New install June 2017 by Openreach engineer. No 'earth' connected

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Wed 30-Jan-19 21:05:17
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
It would be more meaningful & fairer to be comparing sync speeds with the various cables & routers & noting the attenuations & NM that go along with them.

It is the sync speed that these RJ111 cables are "carrying" not the throughput. Why introduce the variability of speedtests & their remote servers into a purely local problem?

OK, I did tests with synch speeds noted but got lost with finding other info on new Smarthub. If you want more than this I'll try, I've added the info for the final/current connection now I know what else was required.. Having swapped out several times this evening I am loathe to do any more in case the system decides I have a fault...

Old brightbox2

Upstream 9820 (Kbps)
Downstream 48292 (Kbps)
Noise Margin 6.2 (dB) 6.3 (dB)
Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 19.4 (dB)
95.146.235.nnn (5m black wire)

Upstream 9865 (Kbps)
Downstream 48292 (Kbps)
Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 19.3 (dB)
95.144.53.nnn (5m black wire)

Upstream 9928 (Kbps)
Downstream 59460 (Kbps)
Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 19.2 (dB)
2.30.226.nnn (original wire)

Upstream 9995 (Kbps)
Downstream 64350 (Kbps)
Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 19.2 (dB)
2.28.227.nnn (original wire)

new Smarthub

Downstream sync speed: 65.06Mbps
Upstream sync speed: 8.99Mbps
95.145.0.43 (original wire)

Downstream sync speed: 55.95Mbps
Upstream sync speed: 9.06Mbps
2.26.82.nnn (10m wire)

Downstream sync speed: 58.97Mbps
Upstream sync speed: 9.23Mbps
2.26.82.nnn (5m CAt5e)

Downstream sync speed: 56.34Mbps
Upstream sync speed: 9.34Mbps
Data rate:9.34 Mbps / 56.34 Mbps
Maximum data rate:9.53 Mbps / 56.71 Mbps
Noise margin (up/down):6.2 / 6.1
Line attenuation (up/down):27.4 / 19.1
Signal attenuation (up/down):27.2 / 17.7
2.27.229.nnn (5m white)

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Jan-19 06:09:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by TMCR:

No phone connected normally, unplugged. Checked, no hum or crackle.using a wired handset.

New install June 2017 by Openreach engineer. No 'earth' connected

Yes, I was being sarcastic about an ill informed post by ‘Tripslaw’

Standard User ironman12345
(member) Thu 31-Jan-19 19:51:26
Print Post

I have read most of the posts and they are all making sense.
But the problem might not be in the RJ11 cable as there is also the internet adapter to consider and also the device settings [PC or other device].
The adapter usually has a settings part that might be causing some bottlenecks.?
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Thu 31-Jan-19 20:02:11
Print Post

[re: ironman12345] [link to this post]

What do you mean by internet adapter? The latest posts show varying modem/router sync speeds with different cables which would not be affected by device settings or the mysterious internet adapter.
(member) Thu 31-Jan-19 20:46:36
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Realalemadrid:
What do you mean by internet adapter? The latest posts show varying modem/router sync speeds with different cables which would not be affected by device settings or the mysterious internet adapter.

The "internet adapter" that I am referring to is a hardware card that is part of the internet settings and where the RJ45 cable is plugged in.
There are setting in windows to change the way that card see`s and reacts to the internet , so I would check those settings.

Edited by ironman12345 (Thu 31-Jan-19 21:02:41)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-Jan-19 21:18:33
Print Post

And does not affect the sync speed as reported by the modem

You are heading off down a blind alley in my opinion

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Thu 31-Jan-19 21:40:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
And does not affect the sync speed as reported by the modem

You are heading off down a blind alley in my opinion

That is true , but if the RJ11 cable is not at fault and according to the OP there is a no noise phone line then I just thought it might be an idea.
But other things like distance or the ISP could be at fault.?

Edited by ironman12345 (Thu 31-Jan-19 21:41:54)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-Jan-19 21:53:38
Print Post

The distance from master socket to exchange/cabinet is a constant if the only thing changed is a cable in the home
The ISP is a constant to.

Remember noise that you can hear is just a little fraction of the noise across the radio spectrum

(member) Thu 31-Jan-19 22:03:42
Print Post

The distance from master socket to exchange/cabinet is a constant if the only thing changed is a cable in the home

Remember noise that you can hear is just a little fraction of the noise across the radio spectrum

Then there is nothing the OP can do , but I guess he/she could contact the ISP with the same question.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Fri 01-Feb-19 14:56:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by ironman12345:

Then there is nothing the OP can do , but I guess he/she could contact the ISP with the same question.

What would that achieve?

Hello my ISP the cable you supplied me works brilliant and gives me a great sync but the cheap longer cable from eBay is useless?

This isn't the ISP's issue, it's the OP's.

I've had similar from multiple cables. The worst performing being the most expensive, a Belkin cable costing about £12.

In the end I purchased a solid core cable from a trusted seller based on the recommendation of others and achieved a satisfactory result.

My end result is a drawer full of cheap, poor performing cables that cost considerably more than the 1 guys cable I should have bought in the 1st place.
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sat 02-Feb-19 14:40:30
Print Post

Yes, I was being sarcastic about an ill informed post by ‘Tripslaw’

I was using the opportunity to fill in those gaps wink

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sat 02-Feb-19 14:50:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by ironman12345:

But this OP is puzzled as to why changing the bit of wire makes such a difference when many others have said it shouldn't have that effect.
4 different 5 metre lengths tried, one made with CAT5e cable, plus one 10 metre because someone suggested that 5m might be a magic number that was causing the issue
I have contacted my ISP and they're as puzzled as anyone else but, as pointed out, the cable they supplied is the one giving best results. It's just not long enough to site the router on a safe shelf instead of the end of my desk where I've had to use cable ties to stop it falling off.
Going back over this thread will show that I've tried all sorts of things, removing the faceplate to use the test socket was one of the first.
It looks like I had better tighten up the cable ties as the router will be staying where it is.

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 02-Feb-19 15:04:16
Print Post

Is it a router than can hang on a wall, and if it is - maybe on the side of the desk?

Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sat 02-Feb-19 15:29:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Is it a router than can hang on a wall, and if it is - maybe on the side of the desk?

Nope, new EE Smarthub. Can't see any way it would hang anywhere, apart from by cable ties.

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Feb-19 18:45:02
Print Post

I went through an excersize of trying (and buying) various modem cables wrt sync speed and came to the conclusion from about 10 different cables including cat6, that a billion 7800 supplied flat cable was the best for my line. The difference was about a megabit.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sun 03-Feb-19 13:14:03
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
I went through an excersize of trying (and buying) various modem cables wrt sync speed and came to the conclusion from about 10 different cables including cat6, that a billion 7800 supplied flat cable was the best for my line. The difference was about a megabit.

As you can see from the various tests I did, there was a difference of up to 10GB in download speed, although upload speed often went a touch higher but didn't have a great difference between the many cables I tried.

I am now back on the 3m cable that was supplied with the SmartHub. I have just managed to move the hub to the back of my desk where it will now remain. The reason I've moved it there, as it would not quite reach the shelf above, is to make use of the 4 Gigabit ports on the back. The previous router (brightbox2) only had one such port, the rest were only 100Mbps throughput and that slowed things down.

Todays synch speed is 9.35 Mbps / 65.36 Mbps and I'll stick with that. Seems silly losing up to 10GB download speed to move the hub a few feet but that's how it is and I've done as much as I can to try and resolve it without any luck.

EE Fibre Plus
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to