Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Tue 22-Jan-19 12:25:01
Print Post

Re: Line Errors

[re: Alucidnation] [link to this post]

I was on 55Mb sync for about 9 months.
Then a neighbour ordered FTTC and the instant they connected their modem (I did it for them) my SNRM dropped a few dB, as did my attainable rate.
This didn't show as a deep in sync till I resynced my line.

Crosstalk from certain lines can be very very bad.
This is particularly bad with lines (pairs) that are close together (in the multi pair cables) for long distances to the cabinet.
Such a crosstalk can knock up to 20Mb off your sync as soon as they connect their modem. Yes you read that right, a single crosstalker can knock 20Mb off your sync.
It knocks so much off your SNRM it causes your line to immediately resync.

It just isn't possible to know if something is crosstalk unless you are in control of ALL the factors, which would require you to be controlling everyone's modems.

A drop in sync from a fault and a drop in sync from a new crosstalker can appear the same on a graph of your sync speed.

There's a reason most other countries run Vectoring (crosstalk cancellation) on their FTTC networks.
BT picked kit that doesn't do Vectoring unfortunately (ECI).
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Tue 22-Jan-19 12:26:49
Print Post

That's much more than I've ever seen a line improve just from removing a filtered faceplate, and suggests it's duff to me.
Standard User Alucidnation
(regular) Tue 22-Jan-19 12:44:33
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Wow, i didn't realise crosstalk could have that much of an instant effect, although it does make sense.

Yes, this morning i was syncing at just over 58, and removing the faceplate has pumped it up to just under 62.

Maybe something to note if anyone else is suffering with their sync speeds.

I will try the phone again later but i can't imagine this would make much difference, and certainly not enough to improve errors, so I will try and hunt down an unpowered phone, that will at least give me a missed called notification.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Jan-19 13:08:40
Print Post

If the speeds stay good when using the test socket, then suggests a duff faceplate - what actual faceplate do you have, the one with a single socket (i.e. it does no filtering) or the one with two sockets? (i.e. phone and DSL sockets)

Some have moaned about the quality of the new 5C faceplates, alas due to curved shape not aware of any third party faceplates that would work. So suggest sticking to a microfilter for now

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Wed 06-Feb-19 13:39:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi guys, apologies for not keeping up to date.

Aaaaaaaaaanyway.......

Not sure where i got to but since my last post, the ISP (through no request from me) organised another OR engineer to perform a lift and shift and when he did this, for some reason had problems.

He called to say that another engineer was going back to the cab to sort it and eventually my sync came back the same..... fair enough.... and this was all sorted within an hour.

That night, re-synced at 54 so reported this and another engineer was arranged.

He knocked the door and said that he was asked specifically to do a lift and shift, and when i said to him that this was already done, he said there was nothing in the notes about it and probably wasn't.

So, off he went and he said you will be offline for around 30 mins which was fine with me.

In the meantime, i was informed that it had early indications of a faulty port.

Nearly two hours later he makes his way back and knocks the door. I asked if there was a problem and if everything was alright and he didn't really give an answer and was a little cagey, but he said have a look and make sure you are back on, and lo and behold, syncing at nearly 65! He also said that he was on the phone to his support team and they apparently did something their end as well, but wasn't sure what exactly.

So off he went and for the rest of the day and evening it was all working fine, holding at 65 with absolutely zero errors!....

CRC:0
FECS:0
ES:0

His notes were not all that specific once i had read them, so i don't know if the reason he was on the phone to support was trying to sort out a problem, or for them to assist with the lift and shift.

However, they did report that my sync was at 65 and all tested good!!!!

Yay!!!

Until this morning.....

Checked my stats and at 3am a re-sync saw me back down to 58, and i cannot see any reason why.

uuurggghh.
(regular) Wed 06-Feb-19 15:45:58
Print Post

OK, Now i know the reason why.

OR did not do what they said they were going to do / had done.

It's no wonder they have such a bad rep.

Stay tuned for the next episode!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Feb-19 15:57:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by Alucidnation:
OK, Now i know the reason why.

OR did not do what they said they were going to do / had done.

It's no wonder they have such a bad rep.
Compared to?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Feb-19 08:27:40
Print Post

What are your day to day issues with streaming, downloading, browsing, etc?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
(regular) Sat 09-Feb-19 15:01:42
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Ok,

Left the line up and running without any interference from me and so far has been 'stable'.

Thought i would plug in the problematic phones to see how bad they affected the errors.

At first glance, it seemed to be very minimal, but after leaving it plugged in for around 10 mins they started to climb at a reasonable rate, although nowhere near as fast before.

So, IMO, whatever he did at the cab, did start to deal with the line issues, but appeared to be short lived and not as much as could be done.

Another engineer is booked for Tuesday so i'll keep you informed!

Assuming you haven't lost interest yet.

laugh
(regular) Tue 12-Feb-19 16:19:19
Print Post

Ok, another update.

Engineer today has found a bad joint buried in the pavement outside where my line connects into the outside cable, however, this joint is inaccessible.

OR have now been out and marked where the joint is likely to be and are coming back to dig it up and investigate.

He said that if they still have a bad reading between there and my socket, they will install a new 'lead in'.

Getting there, slowly but surely!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to