Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rog_dee
(newbie) Wed 23-Jan-19 14:45:54
Print Post

BT/Openreach master socket installation

[link to this post]

Looking for some advice on a bt/openreach master socket. Currently at first fix stage of a barn conversion. Ideally I want the master socket installed just inside my entrance. However I want to be able to plug my router directly into the master socket as I understand that gets me the best connection. So my two computers and router will be in my office, several rooms away. Is it correct that an extension can be taken from the back of the master socket and run through the building structure to another socket in the office to in effect give me the same direct connection as I would have from the actual master socket in the entrance? Just to clarify, I donít want openreach to install directly into my office as this would entail their cabling on the outside of part of the building that I donít want it to be on.
Hope this makes sense and I look forward to some advice. Please bear with me as I only have internet access when at home and I am out on site much of the time but will check back here when I can.

PS: I am hoping to opt for a fibre connection as FTTC is supposed to be available in our area, donít know if that makes any difference to my original question.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Wed 23-Jan-19 20:00:39
Print Post

Re: BT/Openreach master socket installation

[re: rog_dee] [link to this post]

Goto https://www.dslchecker.bt.com and use the address option to see what sort of connection speeds are predicted 1st.
How long would the cable run be from the socket to the proposed location?

Edited by witchunt (Wed 23-Jan-19 20:48:27)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Jan-19 22:08:14
Print Post

Is there a reason why the router cant be by the master socket and then run an Ethernet cable to the office? That would give the best possible speed. In the office you'd have either an Ethernet switch, a wire access point or a combined wireless access point/switch depending on the connectivity you need in the office.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rog_dee
(newbie) Thu 24-Jan-19 01:02:16
Print Post

Hi witchhunt and jelv, thanks for replying. The dsl checker shows for my postcode:
VDSL Range A (clean) 35.6 High and 22.4 Low download and 7.6 High and 5.2 Low upload
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 34.8 High and 19.3 Low download and 7.4 High and 4.8 Low upload
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Ė Up to 3.5 download and up to 0.5 upload
I donít understand difference between clean and impacted.
I reckon the actual cable length run would be around 15 metres from proposed master socket location to my preferred router location in office.
I guess technically there is no reason I could not put the router in the entrance next to the master socket but would prefer not to. I have always liked having the router next to where I am working so I can see what is happening if I get connection problems which I currently do from time to time. Maybe a fibre connection at our new property will be better?
Incidentally we are only moving about a half mile to the new property so will still be on the same exchange etc.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 24-Jan-19 01:12:30
Print Post

For your postcode, or the actual new full address?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 24-Jan-19 01:12:51)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Jan-19 02:02:16
Print Post

A good setup should not be dropping or causing any alarm that needs you to "investigate."

I would run the modem in the master 100%. If the setup is good, it should run flawlessly without drops. Just buy a console table or something and stick the router/cordless phone on it.

Use wireless AC and AC boosters as required.

If you want a wired office, run ethernet from the hall to the office, you could stick a second wireless AP into this ethernet if you also want a WiFi boost (again get wireless AC stuff).

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 24-Jan-19 02:03:42)

Standard User rog_dee
(newbie) Thu 24-Jan-19 10:18:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
For your postcode, or the actual new full address?

Figures given are for address of my next door neighbour on same postcode. Our property Is newly registered and the broadband checker will not recognise our address. However we are recognised by Openreach for getting a line installed.
Standard User rog_dee
(newbie) Thu 24-Jan-19 10:42:37
Print Post

New setup idea. Will this work ok:
Master socket site in entrance.
Router (4 port) site next to master socket and plug directly into master socket faceplate.
Ethernet port faceplate on wall next to router wired through building (approx. 15m) to office to terminate at another Ethernet faceplate.
Connect from office faceplate to xxxNo. ports Ethernet switch.
Connect from Ethernet switch to two desktop pcís and one printer in office.
Seven other Ethernet faceplates (data points my sparky calls them?) around the property all terminating in the office. Also connect all or some of these to Ethernet switch.

So to summarise. My master socket and router in entrance but direct linked to office and all other Ethernet circuits running from the office.

Thanks in advance for any more advice. I am just trying to think how to make things work best in our new property.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 24-Jan-19 10:59:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by rog_dee:
New setup idea. Will this work ok:
Yes. Perfect.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User threelegs
(regular) Thu 24-Jan-19 12:01:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

you could fit a filtered faceplate where the line comes in and take a non filtered ext from the terminals on the back to the office and plug the router in to that the mk3 plate is deemed to be the better of the ones that bt produced

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BT-Openreach-MK3-F...

it is exactly what i used for years with no problems(till we got FTTH!!) the ext for the router in the office just needs to be a standard phone ext socket (or you could use an RJ11 socket as some routers seem to be supplied with a RJ11 to RJ11 lead to connect with

sorry for out of date link but you get the idea

Edited by threelegs (Thu 24-Jan-19 12:06:13)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to