Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jingerman
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-19 23:15:50
Print Post

Wifi Dropped only on.2.4GHz, 5ghz working Fine.

[link to this post]

Asus n56u and BT modem.
2 PS4's connected via lan using Lan adapters.
3 Iphones and a ipad using 5ghz signal.
2 laptops using 2.4ghz signal.

Now the problem I have is I get 42mb DL & 5.9bm UL speedtests for over 5 years on all devices wired or wireless. I have not moved the router from its position or added any new devices to it.

The router is on channel 13 for over 5 years as my neighbours are using ISP supplied routers and fight over 1,6,11.

Suddenly overnight all my 2.4ghz laptops started running slow to kpbs in speedtest and then shoot up to 42mb or sometimes start at 42mb and drop all the way down.

I've double checked surrounding wifi channels and no one is on my channel 13.

I even checked the iphones using the 2.4ghz and it the same, but work fine on 5ghz.

I contacted my ISP and they say all good on line and no faults show and telephone works fine.

So I decided to swap out the router with ISP's and it started off good, but eventually went downhill like the Asus n56u.

I could do with some help here, if anyone has experienced something similar.

Many thanks
Standard User mbames
(committed) Mon 04-Feb-19 12:32:44
Print Post

Re: Wifi Dropped only on.2.4GHz, 5ghz working Fine.

[re: jingerman] [link to this post]

If you are only seeing the issue on 2.4Ghz with the laptops, and have changed routers/Wifi APs, thenthe issue may be with the latops - are they both the same hardware spec?

What has changed on the laptop?
Driver updates
s/w Firewall
OS

Could you try a USB wifi adaptor on one of the laptops?

Vodafone Fibre (Superfast2 - 80/20), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2
(Gone but not forgotten: AP-700, 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Feb-19 13:43:59
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

Or a device is co-sharing the 2.4GHz spectrum now, e.g. neighbours wifi or some other device

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jingerman
(newbie) Mon 04-Feb-19 14:51:17
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

Not just laptops, I put the ipad n iphone on 2.4ghz and does the same, Laptops different models and specs. Its All 2.4ghz problem no matter what device I use.
Standard User jingerman
(newbie) Mon 04-Feb-19 14:52:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Neighbours using 1,6,11, Ive got option for 13 and have been using it for years.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 04-Feb-19 14:58:15
Print Post

But have you looked what wireless connections are being made to your router is the question. Nothing to do with what other wireless SSIDs/routers are near you.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User jingerman
(newbie) Mon 04-Feb-19 16:43:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Only my devices are are on router, no change in years.

I use as stated in original post, mixture of 2.4ghz n 5ghz, Only 2 items are 2.4 and all others 5ghz. But for test purposes i switched between 5ghz to 2.4 to diagnosis. I hope thats what you were referring too.

Edited by jingerman (Mon 04-Feb-19 16:45:41)

Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Feb-19 17:19:39
Print Post

Channels 11 and 13 overlap by quite a large margin.

It could be that your neighbour(s) on channel 11 have added more devices or are just transferring more data.

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Feb-19 18:19:19
Print Post

Your choice of channel 13 will not be helping anybody:

https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/adjacent...
&
https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/why-chan...

I would use 1, 6 or 11. Given 13 is poor, try the opposite end of the spectrum e.g. Channel 1. Plenty of APs now only have the option to select 1, 6 and 11 as channel options as vendors have noted adjacent channel congestion is causing problems, and increasing returns etc.

You may get lucky using 13, as some APs will try to "avoid" using 11 once they realise there is adjacent channel congestion on 13, and revert back to 6 or 1. This naturally degrades performance overall. This probably explains your years on 13... APs are increasing in power however, and this behaviour is changing, where vendors realise their 7 antenna device will overpower post APs.

To check, you are using 20MHZ right?

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 04-Feb-19 19:11:28)

Standard User jingerman
(newbie) Mon 04-Feb-19 19:54:28
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Your choice of channel 13 will not be helping anybody:

https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/adjacent...
&
https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/why-chan...

I would use 1, 6 or 11. Given 13 is poor, try the opposite end of the spectrum e.g. Channel 1. Plenty of APs now only have the option to select 1, 6 and 11 as channel options as vendors have noted adjacent channel congestion is causing problems, and increasing returns etc.

You may get lucky using 13, as some APs will try to "avoid" using 11 once they realise there is adjacent channel congestion on 13, and revert back to 6 or 1. This naturally degrades performance overall. This probably explains your years on 13... APs are increasing in power however, and this behaviour is changing, where vendors realise their 7 antenna device will overpower post APs.

To check, you are using 20MHZ right?

Yes 20mhz, i changed it from 20/40. still no joy
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to