Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gary333
(newbie) Wed 06-Feb-19 14:20:07
Print Post

Re: Wifi Dropped only on.2.4GHz, 5ghz working Fine.

[re: jingerman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jingerman:
In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
If you get chance run inssider - it lets you see visually the channels in use by APs and the overlaps of channels. It can be quite useful for choosing a channel.

https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/free/

It also makes you realise how 5Ghz overlap is likely to be a problem soon smile

Yes got inssider, n 5ghz will definitely be next.

By the way my neighbours moved in recently and I can hear baby crying. Your theory of baby monitor might be spot on. I cannot tell them to turn it off ?

Baby monitors can certainly cause a reduction in performance. I have one of the BT camera ones that appears to cause slow downs on devices that are at the furthest reaches of the house when it's on and in a certain position. However, this is no different to when next door moved their routers location (signal went from 1 bar to 4 bars) and I would see drops or slow reactions at certain times on 2.4ghz network.

Obviously you cannot tell them to turn it off as it's their house to do as they please and you don't have a right to owning the airwaves in your own house. You could however overpower their signal by putting the mesh network devices around your house.
Standard User jingerman
(newbie) Wed 06-Feb-19 16:43:08
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
If you get chance run inssider - it lets you see visually the channels in use by APs and the overlaps of channels. It can be quite useful for choosing a channel.

https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/free/

It also makes you realise how 5Ghz overlap is likely to be a problem soon smile

Yes got inssider, n 5ghz will definitely be next.

By the way my neighbours moved in recently and I can hear baby crying. Your theory of baby monitor might be spot on. I cannot tell them to turn it off ?

Baby monitors can certainly cause a reduction in performance. I have one of the BT camera ones that appears to cause slow downs on devices that are at the furthest reaches of the house when it's on and in a certain position. However, this is no different to when next door moved their routers location (signal went from 1 bar to 4 bars) and I would see drops or slow reactions at certain times on 2.4ghz network.

Obviously you cannot tell them to turn it off as it's their house to do as they please and you don't have a right to owning the airwaves in your own house. You could however overpower their signal by putting the mesh network devices around your house.

Would it be cheaper buy 5ghz usb adapters from china? only 2 devices use 2.4
Standard User jingerman
(newbie) Sun 10-Feb-19 14:38:52
Print Post

Neighbours with baby moved out, so I can forget that theory. frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Sun 10-Feb-19 16:17:26
Print Post

Neighbours with baby moved out, so I can forget that theory. frown

IMO using channel 13 while your neighbors use 11 is more likely to cause issues than someone using a baby monitor.
I get zero issues with a baby monitor in use.
Standard User jingerman
(newbie) Wed 13-Feb-19 11:33:58
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Update:- I have resolved my 2.4ghz wifi issues by plastering tin foil on walls surrounding my router. I hope this will help others.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to