General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AlistairS
(newbie) Sun 25-Jul-10 11:48:55
Print Post

Moving Home & O2 farce

[link to this post]

Moving home in September & currently have O2 for Home Phone, Broadband & Mobile
I.emailed them a few weeks back to ask for advice as the property I'm moving to doesn't have a landline currently connected. Took about 2 wks to answer my question & was told to contact BT & ask for a Opereach Line to be installed. Did this & was told by BT that O2 would have to instruct this.

So phoned them & Cust Service take my details but say that they would have to cut off my landline where i currently am to enable it at the new place as I can't have 2 active landlines at both places at once! I said that I as more than willing to pay line rental at the other place too & just wanted them to active the broadband on my entry date as has been possible with other providers in the past..

I recently renewed my contract with them for broadband via a retentions offer around the same time as I moved my home phone over to them. My mobile is a simplicity 30 day contract so now probs with getting out of that.

I emailed their complaints dept last week but haven't heard a thing. The irony is I like the service I get from them, but all they are doing is pushing me away

What to do - any thoughts?
Standard User MarkHampshire
(member) Sun 25-Jul-10 12:01:39
Print Post

Re: Moving Home & O2 farce

[re: AlistairS] [link to this post]

I think this phones business is all a bit new to O2 and not all of the advisers are quite as clued up a they could be:

I don't think O2 do line activations, so I'm not sure how they can help you here as you have no line at the new property - unless they are equipped / prepared to handle house moves. If not:

First you'd need to get a line, and then have O2 put the broadband on that, and then optionally, migrate the phone service to O2 Home Phone if you wanted to.

For the line, you could go to BT but you'd then be locked in on a long line rental contract and (IMO) absolutely abysmal service. You could go to The Post Office and have them install it, but on a one month contract leaving your options open for later.

Basically O2 is not (IMO) a "full" telephony supplier, although they might become one in time and this is perhaps why the problem exists. If you had gone with say IDNET or AAISP they could handle this for you as they provide the full range of services. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that O2 was a mistake)

If the above is true, and perhaps others will confirm, you will be able to "move" your O2 service but it involves you doing all the work. ("move" in quotes, because it's really a cancellation and a new setup)

As far as the move goes, the bit about terminating the first line before activating the second one is bizarre.

BT were right to tell you to have O2 perform the move. O2 can do all of this for you. It's just a question of whether they're capable and more importantly, willing to do it to keep your custom.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by MarkHampshire (Sun 25-Jul-10 12:16:30)

Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Sun 25-Jul-10 13:02:53
Print Post

A relevant recent thread.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Jul-10 16:11:36
Print Post

As far as the broadband is concerned you will have to make sure that the exchange which will supply the connection to your next home is LLU provisioned by O2 and that they can supply it to you ,as you don't want to end up on their very poor performing Access product supplied via BTw IPstream.

You may have to ask any neighbours to your next home about what the local exchange is, try putting a phone number or postcode into this checker.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User AlistairS
(newbie) Sun 25-Jul-10 20:44:42
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
As far as the broadband is concerned you will have to make sure that the exchange which will supply the connection to your next home is LLU provisioned by O2 and that they can supply it to you ,as you don't want to end up on their very poor performing Access product supplied via BTw IPstream.

You may have to ask any neighbours to your next home about what the local exchange is, try putting a phone number or postcode into this checker.

The exchange is Cumbernauld It is is enabled on LLU for O2,Sky, Talk, Talk, AOL & Orange, so that shouldn't be a problem. TBH, I checked this before puting the offer in on the house smile Pity someone from O2 can't have a look into this for me. As far as I'm aware O2 like The Post Office can instruct a line request from Openreach
ISP Representative Paul_O2
(isp) Mon 26-Jul-10 16:26:52
Print Post

Hi AlistairS,

I'm sorry to hear about the frustrations you've been experiencing.

Just to recap what you've already said, you already have an active O2 Home Broadband and O2 Home Phone service.

So long as that's the case, I don't see any reason why we can't move your service to the new address.

If you'd like, you can send me a PM with your details and I can take a look at your account for you.

Paul
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User AlistairS
(newbie) Mon 26-Jul-10 16:36:53
Print Post

[re: Paul_O2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Paul_O2:
Hi AlistairS,

I'm sorry to hear about the frustrations you've been experiencing.

Just to recap what you've already said, you already have an active O2 Home Broadband and O2 Home Phone service.

So long as that's the case, I don't see any reason why we can't move your service to the new address.

If you'd like, you can send me a PM with your details and I can take a look at your account for you.

Paul

I have home phone, broadband & mobile with yourselves
Thanks Paul PM on the way

Edited by AlistairS (Mon 26-Jul-10 16:51:41)

Standard User AlistairS
(newbie) Wed 28-Jul-10 23:39:04
Print Post

Hi Paul
Did you have a chance to look at my account yet?

TIA

Alistair
Standard User AlistairS
(newbie) Mon 02-Aug-10 21:13:33
Print Post

Just to update this thread Paul gave me some useful info & suggested contacting O2 around 2 wks before entry & everything should be fine...

However, I got a call tonight from my official complaint I sent to them & was told I would have to buy my o2 home phone contract out & get a BT line installed as O2 don't install landlines - round & round in circles frown

Have PMed Paul & asked him to make contact with the complaints guy
Standard User AlistairS
(newbie) Fri 06-Aug-10 19:59:32
Print Post

Apparently there is a line at the new house but according the the complaints guy this will still involve a 4 day minimum loss of service, by moving home.

I find it quite astonishing that in previous house moves with other providers inc. Virgin Media & BT I never had these issues
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to