General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User petermjames
(newbie) Tue 01-Feb-11 20:51:32
Print Post

Orange Broadband Crawling to a Halt

[link to this post]

Is anybody having problems with dreadful download speeds on Orange Broadband over the last few days?

I've been getting about 400Kbps during the day falling to 100Kbps in the late afternoon and evening. At times pages just won't load.

My sync speed is still about 6Mbps so it looks like network/exchange overloading problems.

As I've also been hit by their blocking external SMTP traffic it looks like it's MAC time for me.
Standard User neil99
(learned) Tue 01-Feb-11 21:25:42
Print Post

Re: Orange Broadband Crawling to a Halt

[re: petermjames] [link to this post]

Hello Pete,

I'm on Orange and have had dreadful speeds over the past two nights. Whereabouts are you located? TQ13 for me.

Normally, pretty good, not ace but not bad for the price. But last night and tonight a completely different ballgame altogether.

BT Speedtest reported 59Kbps last night and 57Kbps tonight. Spoke with Orange, not much help - insisted that I had run a minimum of three hard-wired speedtests before any line diagnostics could be run.

Out of interest tried a speedtest.net this morning via Wi-fi on my iPhone which came in at about 3.38Mbps (about normal) which indicates to me network/exchange congestion during the peak evening period.

Anyone reading this with any hints/tips as to what to say to Orange/tests to do to get them to speed up with the fault diagnosis would be much appreciated!

Thanks.
(newbie) Tue 01-Feb-11 22:19:13
Print Post

[re: neil99] [link to this post]

Hi Neil, I'm in RG7.

There are quite a few tweets about Orange Broadband problems over the last day or so from many areas.

When I last checked I was only getting 50Kbps.

They told me I had to run 3 tests with the BT speed tester. They gave me the wrong URL and when I found it it kept on crashing.

I've done tests with the thinkbroadband speed tester and will be asking for a MAC tomorrow.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Feb-11 22:50:53
Print Post

[re: neil99] [link to this post]

You are both on Orange IPStream (non-LLU) which is notoriously bad and is well known to be congested during peak times..

Migrate to an LLU provider. if you have one in your area.

RG7: move into RG1-3 wink

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User ccxo
(learned) Wed 02-Feb-11 22:49:08
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Im on Orange IPStream as well having the same normal problems over in RG18.

LLU would be great, its only a few hundred meters down the road from me- different exchange which will have FFTC soon and thats down the road from me as well.

My Broadband Speed Test
(newbie) Thu 03-Feb-11 21:32:33
Print Post

I got a MAC and have just signed up with Eclipse.
Standard User shrimper1
(newbie) Fri 04-Feb-11 02:24:37
Print Post

Yes, we have a strange situation. Our original FREE account was with our heldest son's Orange mobile deal, and we were getting 6.7Mb download, and something decent upload. Then he dropped Orange mob for a better deal & new fone somewhere else. As our other son still has an Orange mobile deal, we arranged to stick with Orange, but pay £7.50p a month for up to 20 Mb download. Of coure our postcode area cannot get anywhere near 20Mb, but what we are getting now is not just acceptable, it's beyond the pale! Upload 0.5Mb; download 0.5Mb. These readings have been taken throughout an 18 hour period yesterday.
Naturally we have complained, but with little success. However on following up with a fone call tonight to Orange customer NON-service frown
I landed a Chinese lady, who spoke even quicker than her max keyboard speed, and screamed the words as well ! ....... and BTW, I ain't hard of hearing wink
Having been round the bloc a few times in some key jobs with global auto manufacturers, I'm pretty sure that the Chinese lady was @ the point of melt-down. So I offered her the way out, by informing her that I would get my phone line checked by BT, to take them out of the equation - and her relief that she was temporarily off the hook was deafening!
Anyone else been down this path recently?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Feb-11 13:42:25
Print Post

[re: shrimper1] [link to this post]

Post your router stats.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
(newbie) Sat 12-Feb-11 14:35:22
Print Post

I'm now with Eclipse.

So far, much better download speed.
Standard User shrimper1
(newbie) Sat 12-Feb-11 14:47:15
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I was not sure about how to get router stats, but after upteen calls to Orange, I have now got a "plan" from them to correct something @ my local exchange (which they requested, and forgot to request to put back to normal setting). Next Monday should be the date when all is sorted, so I will run another speed check then. One can live in hope! but this one is going to request a MAC number if this latest promise is another false dawn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to