General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User oztoon
(newbie) Thu 17-Feb-11 16:15:13
Print Post

BE (lack of ) service

[link to this post]

I have been with BE for over a year, quite happily, the customer service people have always been friendly and efficient and the service itself has always been sound if not breathtaking.

I requested a home move on 2 February, to a completely new exchange. I am still waiting. It took the full estimated week for BE to realise that there was a problem establishing the service on the new exchange (for a static IP). It has taken BE since then to not fix it.

They have established that the problem is with their own database, which apparently is putting the exchange port into fault. To date, they have failed to reconfigure the database, or more to the point, whoever the work is backed off to have failed to fix it.

BE still cannot give me a guarantee of when it will be sorted out, but have managed to string me along with guestimates of a couple of days to fix. If I had known it would take this long (still no ttf from them) I'd have shipped off to Plusnet or some other.

I have been told again today that they hope to have it fixed in the next two to three days. But that is only hope and that is what I was hearing a week ago.

They managed about 15 minutes up time on a dynamic IP last night before that went down as well.

If it wasn't such an expensive (I'm having to hobble along on mobile broadband) inconvenience I'd be howling with laughter. What an absolute shower. I work in comms and if I was responsible for something like this I would have my P45 by now.

In the middle of all of this BE still managed to take my direct debit for the service I'm not getting - no problems with that database.

I don't know who BE back this work off to or rely on for it (it's confidential so they cannot tell me), but I wouldn't touch them with a dirty stick.

If Saturday comes with no joy, I'll be enquiring elsewhere.
Standard User nredwood
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Feb-11 20:33:06
Print Post

Re: BE (lack of ) service

[re: oztoon] [link to this post]

See "How do you complain" section here
https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/codeofpractice

Be* Unlimited
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Feb-11 22:03:47
Print Post

[re: oztoon] [link to this post]

Have they not offered to refund you for the downtime?, when i migrated to be, BT openreach some how managed to screw it up, leaving me without both phone & adsl, for 5 days, and then DHL manged to loose the first BeBox they dispatched, be refunded me for the days from the migration date to the actual date i received the bebox and an active be service,
I also got a small refund from bt retail for loss of service

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User oztoon
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 08:05:09
Print Post

[re: nredwood] [link to this post]

Thanks nredwood. I was pointed there last night by the BE tech team I was talking to and will definitely go there after work today. Apparently it is very rare for this problem to come up. Possibly too rare to put the resource into avoiding it repeating on those rare occasions.
Standard User oztoon
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 08:21:44
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Yes tommy45, they said there will be a reckoning when the service is up and running and the tech folk said that they are bound by their T&C's to compensate for more than 5 days without service. But that has to wait until they get things running, if they manage to at all. Even 5 days is way too long in my view.

My point really is that this is just unbelievably sloppy - two weeks to sort a database problem (they say it's a database problem), which had been experienced before? I work in telephony and the tolerance for downtime is close to zero. I'm used to being held to account for that so maybe I expect too much. It's not like this ADSL business is new though is it?

Anyway, it's Friday, hope springs eternal!
  Print Thread

Jump to