General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mikesmotors
(newbie) Wed 13-Apr-11 11:11:57
Print Post

PlusNet "Priorities"?

[link to this post]

Did Plusnet really say that they prioritise people using BBC iPlayer, internet phone calls and online gaming?

I do none of those things ... frown
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 13-Apr-11 11:22:40
Print Post

Re: PlusNet "Priorities"?

[re: mikesmotors] [link to this post]

I don't think it's anything new that they prioritise time-sensitive applications, and they're not the only ISP to do so.

Brief losses of speed, packet loss etc when downloading a file or web page etc are mildly irritating, but they can render streamed video, gaming or VOIP completely unusable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 13-Apr-11 15:59:48
Print Post

I think it's slightly badly worded. I'm sure it only means those applications are prioritised when in use. Not that individuals are prioritised, because it's on record they use those things.

In other words, I don't have a better default priority than you, because I watch iPlayer, and you don't. I will get higher priority whilst actually watching iPlayer - but then again, so would you, if you ever chose to. Hardly discrimination!

T.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 13-Apr-11 19:34:43
Print Post

Full explanation.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to