General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User McPoel
(newbie) Sat 23-Apr-11 22:42:26
Print Post

Appalling Virgin Customer Service (from Bombay or so)

[link to this post]

Hello Forum,

I really need to pass this on as this is amazing:

Received broadband recently. With it came a Virgin branded Netgear VMDG280. Before I had network storage and IP cam on the router with port forwarding. Was an O2 branded Thompson router. Now I cannot access any of these after I simply guessed their IP. But only under MAC- or IP filtering in the menu one can find some devices listed. However, called Virgin for technical support. I wanted to know simple things like:

- where can one get an overview of which devices are currently leasing an IP address from the router
- cannot access IP cam, cannot ping (timeout). It apparently leased fixed IP 192.168.0.69 as it may have a static IP still set to it. How can I connect to it?
- IP/MAC filtering excludes certain devices on a negative list. How can I make a positive list of allowed devices?

A ("Sunny") person who sounded as if he was somewhere in Bombey answered. I had to explain the problem 3 TIMES. He then said he wasn't trained for that but he'd call back. He did call back though. BUT he told me to go to "basic settings" and read the IP (which was the one leased from VM, no LAN IP). He insisted there is onle ONE IP for all devices (oh really?). I asked how I would know how to access e.g. the storage device. He said it would be the one shown under "basic settings", so VMs server which leased the internet IP.

Otherwise he confirmed "you cannot see the IP of any other devices".

-> HOW STUPID do they think their customers are?

We are paying a monthly fee for the broadband and the device which we haven't volunteert for. I wanted a different device but they insisted that we need to use the so called "home hub" ( I assume they check the MAC address of it on connection).

Technically it was all fine with O2. the Thompson router was ok. Only moved because O2 messed up the booking after moving house. Now: No IP overview, no port forwarding, no LAN access to other devices and a robotic incompetent customer service. WHAT A "GREAT" SERVICE.

It is really upsetting. Would like to move back to O2 now. Their service was OK and you even got real people to speak to on the phone. No call centre robots who haven't got a clue. Or can any one recommend another provider who does all these positive features?

Hope Virgin Atlantic will not get down to this competence level with their pilots...

Steph

PS: Does any one have got an idea what this Netgear piece of rubbish can be replaced with?
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 23-Apr-11 23:08:31
Print Post

Re: Appalling Virgin Customer Service (from Bombay or so)

[re: McPoel] [link to this post]

Might be worth asking for info in the Virgin Media (cable) forum.

Does this help?

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.contr...
Standard User McPoel
(newbie) Sun 24-Apr-11 23:12:37
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Hello,

Yes thanks for that. I've had a look before. However, it doesn't resolve the problem that the devices are not accessible through the browser or ping test.
And one can only conclude it's got to do with this Netgear variant because it all worked on the Thompson before. Nothing has changed in the devices.
I'm clueless, now pursuing the way back to O2 or a different provider where I can simply choose my router and basta.

Or does any one have a good recommendation on which device this would-be cable router could be replaced with (would need to include the ability to adjust the MAC address)?

In reply to a post by john2007:
Might be worth asking for info in the Virgin Media (cable) forum.

Does this help?

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.contr...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Apr-11 11:32:17
Print Post

[re: McPoel] [link to this post]

Hi, I would ask Virgin Media to replace that Netgear VMDG280 router with a modem, so you can use any cable/DSL broadband router.

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ wireless router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
  Print Thread

Jump to