General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cornishweb
(learned) Thu 05-May-11 23:34:37
Print Post

Sky

[link to this post]

Been with sky a while now only one thing that makes me unhappy and the reason i am leaving is waiting over 7 days for a new router. cant understand why they don't let you use your own frown

Award Winning Web Hosting
Packages From £1.99 Monthly
Fast Uk & US servers 24/7 Support
cPanel Hosting

Edited by cornishweb (Thu 05-May-11 23:35:19)

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-May-11 00:36:10
Print Post

Re: Sky

[re: cornishweb] [link to this post]

I would imagine that the only reason for sky insisting on you using the router they supply (or fail to supply) would be to make giving out support easier for their staff, though if they are properly trained and knowledgeable in the way ADSL tech works then this would not be necessary ,
probably why they won't enable fast path and set up custom profiles for customers to get a better service than what they get with the standard one size fits all, but to get support staff who are able to carry out the above and give basic support for other routers you the customer would have to pay more for it than what you are currently being charged,

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 06-May-11 00:38:26)

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-May-11 09:42:51
Print Post

You can use your own.
The one my daughter had a rubbish wireless signal and they wouldn't change it so she bought a Wireless N router and it works great
Unfortunately you need a working router to access the necessary details as Sky won't tell you thrm

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-May-11 14:15:35
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Technically you can but not within the terms you agree to when signing up so there is some risk in this path.

Other potentialy reason for sky doing this is that they could implement additional tech in the router to support new services (maybe they will try and introduce QoS for VoIP or VoD services at some point in the future).
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Fri 06-May-11 20:51:39
Print Post

Multiple posts on this issue but Sky are Cheap and cheerfull.

O2 don't stop users using different routers to that supplied but don't give free technical support.

Has anyone been kicked off Sky for using a non issued box?

Issues with deliveries at the moment hence the many posts on the subject.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
  Print Thread

Jump to