General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sc00bi
(newbie) Tue 24-May-11 14:05:52
Print Post

why do VM LIE!!!

[link to this post]

im a new customer to Virgin (installed 50mg in March)

to cut a long story short- it worked well for 7 days, and then was down for 43 consecutive days.....(its been up and running for a week again)

after 3 engineer visits and an upgrade to my local cabinet, its finally working...

However, i have always been told that VM DO NOT throttle newsgroups- they are LIERS!!!

after 5pm , my connection drops so low that i struggle to watch BBC Iplayer..

So my problem is , do i cancel or do i stay on a years contract...im in limbo and really dont know what to do. luckily i remained connected to Be on their 24mg service,and that is way more reliable and often faster than VM...

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-May-11 15:02:46
Print Post

Re: why do VM LIE!!!

[re: sc00bi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sc00bi:
However, i have always been told that VM DO NOT throttle newsgroups- they are LIERS!!!

after 5pm , my connection drops so low that i struggle to watch BBC Iplayer..

Sounds more like too many users in your area connecting and contention kicking in.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Heven \_0-0_/
Powered by Oh 2
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
''''''' Apsotrophe abuser ''''''
Standard User Jonny4911
(newbie) Tue 24-May-11 15:21:45
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

If your connection is poor and your modem stats are fine, your area is probably over subscribed, it will be useless to stay on if that's true as this can sometimes take months to fix! the traffic management bit is below

Straight from VMs website i've highlighted the important bits:

File Sharing:

We also moderate the total volume of file sharing traffic on our network between 5pm and midnight on weekdays and midday and midnight on weekends. This policy, which applies to all broadband packages, is restricted to Peer to Peer (P2P) applications and Newsgroups (which are commonly used to distribute large amounts of data)

This policy does not impact any applications other than Peer to Peer and Newsgroups, so things like watching iPlayer, online gaming, making calls via Skype, downloading music tracks from iTunes or streaming them from Spotify and sending an email or normal browsing are unaffected.

It's important to remember that these traffic management policies only apply at peak times when speeds are most likely to be affected by people using more than their fair share. Outside of peak times we do not manage traffic.

Edited by Jonny4911 (Tue 24-May-11 15:23:21)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(regular) Tue 24-May-11 16:11:30
Print Post

[re: Jonny4911] [link to this post]

Blimey they have not changed, way back in 2006 when they started to roll 20mg service not once did I achieve half of it,also five days every month for a year they would cut my service because they could not set up direct debit I went to BT. Now far away from suburbs and in the countryside on my ADSLmax 42db max 6.45mg and drops to 6.30mg in the peak times, cheers BT! Even if they ran a wire to me; nearest virgin area 40 miles, never would i go back.

My views are my experiences.
Standard User sc00bi
(newbie) Tue 24-May-11 17:53:05
Print Post

[re: NilSatisOptimum] [link to this post]

well, after my recent call to them to sort an engineer to fix my original problem, the person on the phone told me they would extend the 28 day cooling off period due to all the trouble i've had ... guess what?

i called this afternoon to cancel the service- and they tell me i cant unless i pay 10 months up front!!! i explained the last guy told me he would extend the 28 days- they said - we have no record of that, sorry but you have to honour your contract... omfg!!!!

i called Ofcom straight after.. who gave me some advice..

Virgin explained because they credited my account for the last 2 months, that they kept to their part of the deal- when infact that doesnt make any sense, as id have demanded a refund anyway..

So im now locked in this row with VM and will take it as high as i need to, to cancel this shambles of a service

Standard User monkeyarms
(committed) Wed 25-May-11 16:45:37
Print Post

Me personaly in your situation I would cancel payement at the bank, then argue it with VM after. Being disconnected for that long is failing to provide the service they have agreed to.
A contract works 2 ways.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 25-May-11 17:23:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by sc00bi:
i called this afternoon to cancel the service- and they tell me i cant unless i pay 10 months up front!!! i explained the last guy told me he would extend the 28 days- they said - we have no record of that, sorry but you have to honour your contract... omfg!!!!

Tell them you want a copy of the recording made during your call approximately hh:mm on dd:mm:yy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to