General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bulletguy
(newbie) Tue 31-May-11 17:29:07
Print Post

Virgin down almost THREE DAYS!!

[link to this post]

What on earth has been going on with Virgin????

My connection went down on Sunday 29th and have only just got it back today! Anyone else had the same problem and if so how long were you down for?

I live in a non-cable area and have Virgin Broadband + evening and weekend free phone calls package. I pay £15 per mth (assuming I make no daytime calls) plus the BT standing charge of £12, so £27 per mth minimum total.

Contacted Virgin on Sunday who told me two servers had gone down and they were 'in talks with BT' about the problem. Monday was the same again. No connection. I must have spent a small fortune on phoning Virgin stuck in a damn queue before I could get a human on the line only to be told the same nonsense.

I'm now seriously considering switching but my choice is limited due to living in a non-cable area. Thought about a BT package as obviously BT still call the shots no matter which isp you choose.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 31-May-11 18:07:01
Print Post

Re: Virgin down almost THREE DAYS!!

[re: Bulletguy] [link to this post]

Urm the BT who call the shots are BT Wholesale, which has the same interface to BT Total as does Virgin, Zen, IDNet, Plusnet and 100's of others.

Is there any LLU operators on your exchange? This removes BT slightly more from the equation, and can be cheaper. O2/Sky/Be are the ones to look at in that regard, and even TalkTalk might give a better experience.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-May-11 18:55:02
Print Post

Following on from MrSaffron's post see who is in your exchange, there might be some of the better LLU providers.

Alastair

omadasafisho live BQM graph

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bulletguy
(newbie) Wed 01-Jun-11 18:22:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Is there any LLU operators on your exchange?

No none at all. At least not according to Sam!

To give you some idea of my locality the exchange is small by most standards and I live in a medium size village seven miles from the nearest town.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 01-Jun-11 20:33:18
Print Post

Virgin ADSL does not have a great reputation. There are better ISPs - some charge more, some charge less.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-Jun-11 23:25:33
Print Post

Can you post the link to what samknows says please? There are a few other entries that may (or may not frown) be useful.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Bulletguy
(newbie) Thu 02-Jun-11 14:17:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john2007:
Virgin ADSL does not have a great reputation. There are better ISPs......

Which ones?
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Can you post the link to what samknows says please? There are a few other entries that may (or may not frown) be useful.

My post code is CW3 9EQ.

If I change i'd look for a comparable package to what I have but a better deal on the phone side.....ie free calls anytime rather than limited.

Edited by Bulletguy (Thu 02-Jun-11 14:17:56)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Jun-11 14:51:53
Print Post

If this is your exchange, then if cost is important and you want the same provider for phone and BB have a look at Plusnet's packages.
As far as the BB is concerned be aware they traffic manage their network as explained within their website.
As the exchange is market 1 you will not get the cheaper headline rates from Plusnet, as they're for market 3 exchanges.

EDIT > You would need to check but it looks like PN would want you to also switch your line rental (+line rental at £11.99 a month) over to them as part of the phone side of the package.

Alastair

omadasafisho live BQM graph

Edited by Apprentice (Thu 02-Jun-11 15:02:56)

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Jun-11 15:20:00
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Plusnet don't care about line rental for broadband as long as it is through BT and not LLU but Virgin almost certainly will object
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 02-Jun-11 15:38:07
Print Post

Nothing there that I was hoping for frown. You could look at IDNet and Zen, but they are pricier, or Plusnet as mentioned by Apprentice. Unfortunately we don't seem to be able to see the Market 1 prices on their website any more frown. You have to put your phone number into their checker.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 02-Jun-11 18:42:07)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to