General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mayrhofen
(newbie) Sun 05-Jun-11 13:49:53
Print Post

Namesco: Looking at leaving

[link to this post]

Looking for some help and advice from experts please.

Have been with Namesco for several years now and have had no problems with the connecton or customer service.

Namsco decided in their wisdom to migrate me from a fixed 512k connection to an 'up to' connection back in November last year. When I queried this move I was told that they were forced to do this as BT had closed all fixed speed connections. (They still advertise a fixed speed 512k connection as of today). That was not really a problem as surprisingly I had a speed increase, my router began to sync at sufficient speeds to give an IP Profile of 750k. (We have a long line).

Starting Saturday morning the connection became unstable and had to be reconnected and since then the connection speed and IP Profile has been through the floor. At the moment the IP Profile is 150k with a connection of 448k.

I have spoken with their Uk based call centre in India who were very little use and were constantly reading from scripts, they have agreed to open a case with BT regarding the IP profile being low currently but not were not interested in the fact the line will not sync fast enough to have the previous IP profile of 750k.

Been somewhat of a geek, I have managed to locate the following information about the exchange I connect to "BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification. At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected. You should only contact support if there is no current ETA date set.

The ETA fix time is: Not provided by BT
Start date of issue: 21 May 11
Record last updated: 27 May 11"

I have noticed also that I am getting some DNS errors of sites not being found.

I use a Netgear DG834N (firmware V1.02.08).
Downstream - 63.5db, 4.8db
Upstream - 31.5,m 11.db

Stats have never been fantastic but the downstream used to be in the 6 - 7db range when connected at about 900 - 1000k with an IP profile of 750k.

Any help and advice would be appreciated?

On a seperate note, I left BT years ago due to scripted Indian call centres and am therefore looking again at leaving Namesco due to the same. I have no objections with foreign call centres but I do with scripted call centres that treat you like an idiot and therefore do not want to grasp the problem.

I am not a big user, obviously with a slow connection, any recommendations. I am looking at Zen internet at the moment.

Apoloiges for the long post

Paul
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Sun 05-Jun-11 14:52:23
Print Post

Re: Namesco: Looking at leaving

[re: Mayrhofen] [link to this post]

Well I would probably look at BT, Plusnet or Zen. Given your speeds and demands, you might as well look for the cheapest available setup.

Also see:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm#attenuation...

Might want to consider googling or searching here for a good router for a long line (for all I know the DG834N is a good one).

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Jun-11 15:56:18
Print Post

Check out the exchange to see if there is any LLU provision.

Alastair

omadasafisho live BQM graph

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 06-Jun-11 12:44:49
Print Post

That message about Virtual Paths means the throughput at the exchange can be below normal. It does not affect the connection speed, (sync), or IP Profile that you have.

Sounds like a line problem has developed somewhere. Have you tried the test socket inside the master, as any ISP support should ask you to do that?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User cdsmith15
(newbie) Tue 02-Aug-11 01:42:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have been having very similar problems with Namesco recently. I have not had a problem in 4 years and now the speed has dropped through the floor. According to BT the line is fine.

As for changing, I am looking to moving to BT as Infinity is coming to the area in March 2012 but I was waiting for nearer the time. Was wondering if it's worth my while moving now or perservering with Namesco for a solution.

Many Thanks.
Standard User Invictel
(newbie) Tue 02-Aug-11 15:48:34
Print Post

[re: cdsmith15] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cdsmith15:
I have been having very similar problems with Namesco recently. I have not had a problem in 4 years and now the speed has dropped through the floor. According to BT the line is fine.

As for changing, I am looking to moving to BT as Infinity is coming to the area in March 2012 but I was waiting for nearer the time. Was wondering if it's worth my while moving now or perservering with Namesco for a solution.

Many Thanks.

Personally I wouldn't be paying for a service that I wasn't happy with. You could always change and then swap to infinity when its enabled in your area?

That said, alot of the ISPs will all be jumping on board with FTTC, us included, so you could probably just keep with the same provider and swap packages.

There are also ISPs that offer shorter contracts, so if you dont want to tie yourself in for a 12-18month contract. Check out our website as we offer one month contracts, we will also be offering FTTC as and when its enabled throughout the country.

Invictel Ltd
http://www.invictel.co.uk
Home and Business broadband and telephone packages.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Aug-11 16:53:50
Print Post

[re: Invictel] [link to this post]

As I understand that BTw impose an 18 month contract on fibre installation I would be interested to hear how you think that you will be able to do it on a one month contract
Standard User Invictel
(newbie) Tue 02-Aug-11 17:09:01
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
As I understand that BTw impose an 18 month contract on fibre installation I would be interested to hear how you think that you will be able to do it on a one month contract

I was referring to the standard ADSL being on a 1-month term.

As we're still in the process of launching FTTC, we havent finalised the contract terms yet, but I would imagine it would be 12-18 months, yes.

Invictel Ltd
http://www.invictel.co.uk
Home and Business broadband and telephone packages.
Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Wed 03-Aug-11 11:39:21
Print Post

[re: Invictel] [link to this post]

It looks like you haven't finalised anything yet, having only been established a week and operating from a council flat

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 03-Aug-11 12:08:07
Print Post

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

Looks like just a new Entanet reseller. Box on the bottom right of the Home Page, and the ADSLx packages offered. Nothing much available about his previous, non-internet, company except it doesn't seem to have traded and has been dissolved.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 03-Aug-11 12:27:50)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to