General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User barry10201
(newbie) Sat 25-Jun-11 20:23:59
Print Post

BT Rip O

[link to this post]

Of all the ISP's, I think BT is the most greedy. Even when the whole world slashed their International Call rates BT still charges their existing customers (mainly old loyal pensioners who donít move) four to five times. BT has charged me £130 for an engineerís visit to rectify their own mistake.

This is the terms of my contract: Phone installation
Engineer visit - As your home doesn't have a phone line that can be reactivated, or needs a new line, we'll send an engineer. The standard connection charge will be added to your first bill for the engineering work in your home or at the telephone exchange. The charge was £130 and I received a credit (offer) because I took a GOLD package , Broadband, TV the works. Engineer was booked but never came and they connected me to an old TALK Talk socket near my loft.
I was not happy and after 2 months of calls to BT, an Engineer calls and re-connects to a ground floor old NTL socket (illegal?). Then BT charges me £130 for engineers visit and £75 for an extension. If I could upload the BT line manager's conversation I had onto Youtube, it is so funny it would have a million hits.
Lets hear how friends out here would define a special offer and an Extension

Edited by barry10201 (Sat 25-Jun-11 20:25:12)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Jun-11 23:24:47
Print Post

Re: BT Rip O

[re: barry10201] [link to this post]

You should have been charged nowt for the connection fee if you took BB, or only £30 if not.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Jun-11 13:02:14
Print Post

Where did you ask the engineer to connect you originally? If they were given no guidance then it is not unusual to re-use suitable socketry.

This talktalk socket, is it branded talktalk or was just one that had had a talktalk service on it, i.e. really was BT wiring.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User barry10201
(newbie) Sun 03-Jul-11 10:39:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

When I placed my order, I wanted BT to connect my line near my TV because I took a gold package BT Vision. Engineer was booked for a new line and I got a date for this job. BT in the evening I got a text from BT that my line has been connected without the need for an engineer. The connected me to my Talk Talk line which I cancelled a few months ago. I paid Talk Talk £50 for this line connection.This line is near my loft in my office area. However I was promised a new line.
Standard User bioraptor
(learned) Sun 03-Jul-11 20:30:03
Print Post

It sounds like BT have exploited your situation to there advantage.
I truly do sympathise with you on what should have been a straight forward and cost free connection.
(If you had and old active line?)
Although if you ask for a new line to be placed some where else in your property? then A charge would be implemented although 130 pounds is ridiculously high.

In reply to a post by bioraptor:
Corruption of the soul is a fate that be-faults the weak

Edited by bioraptor (Sun 03-Jul-11 20:31:05)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 03-Jul-11 21:08:18
Print Post

[re: bioraptor] [link to this post]

Although if you ask for a new line to be placed some where else in your property? then A charge would be implemented although 130 pounds is ridiculously high.
So a call-out and an hour or so work. What would a plumber charge?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 03-Jul-11 23:04:43)

Standard User camieabz
(legend) Sun 03-Jul-11 22:03:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
So a call-out and an hour or so work. What would a plumber charge?

The OP:

Engineer was booked but never came and they connected me to an old TALK Talk socket near my loft. I was not happy and after 2 months of calls to BT, an Engineer calls and re-connects to a ground floor old NTL socket (illegal?).

What refunds should he receive agaist not attending, costing the customer in time and phone calls, and doing work which does not satisfy the customer?

Personally, I would not pay for the work.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 03-Jul-11 23:04:05
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Sorry, I should have made it clear I was replying to this bit:-
I'll edit it!

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User bioraptor
(learned) Mon 04-Jul-11 08:33:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Sorry, I should have made it clear I was replying to this bit:-
I'll edit it!

To answer your sarcasm question I would not know I have never had to use a plumber.
Although as the OP as stated BT messed him around,I would have thought 130 pounds was a little high considering the engineer never came on the first visit.
I would have thought BT may have knocked something off for the inconvenience.
Also at the sounds of things the only work he did was at the cabinet.

When I moved into my house I had no line (nothing) I had a new line and sockets installed with engineer call out for under 100 pounds.
So I say again BT I believe over charge the OP with there silly prices.(Opinion) !

Corruption of the soul is a fate that be-faults the weak

Edited by bioraptor (Mon 04-Jul-11 08:44:31)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 04-Jul-11 09:27:48
Print Post

[re: bioraptor] [link to this post]

No sarcasm intended at all. Sorry if it came across that way.

I was merely using plumbers as an example to point out that Openreach provide a costly service which has to be paid for somehow. The fact that your CP chooses in some cases to pass on charges and in others not is a different matter altogether. They get it back from you in other ways, or else they would be paying out more than they get in.

Hence my edit! I fully agree that the poster was badly treated, so far as we can tell from having only one side of the story. The fact remains a charge of the level mentioned in the edited quote is not unreasonable in this day and age. How much does replacement of two or three roof and ridge tiles cost after a storm?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to