General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User alpha66
(newbie) Mon 04-Jul-11 23:59:48
Print Post

Vivaciti/Entanet Sub-Dialup Speeds - 17kBps (136 kbps)

[link to this post]

Since Sunday 26th June I have been getting no better than 136 kbs (17kBs) speeds.
I immediately connected (only) to the BT Test socket via ADSL Filter, and when matters did not improve first swapped out my ADSL filter, then later swapped out my router. No improvement. I have been in conversation with Entanet Support daily since Tuesday 28th June. Initially the support guy said to wait and my speed will come up, After a couple of days he said my line was dropping, which was causing my speed to stay as low as it was (136 kbps). Then he agreed to get BT into the action, but each time I ring he says it's in their hands and that there is nothilng he can do.

I've tried to get into Vivaciti's website, but my browser times-out. Then I tried the same via my friends conputer/ISP and still couldn't get into Vivaciti's website.

HAS VIVACITI GONE BUST ????

What more can I do, since Entanet Support keeps telling me that it's BT's problem and there's nothing more he can do ?

I'm paying £30 per month for an Office account - surely seven days at 17 kBps with no signs of improvement is a bit excessive !!!!
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Jul-11 00:36:40
Print Post

Re: Vivaciti/Entanet Sub-Dialup Speeds - 17kBps (136 kbps)

[re: alpha66] [link to this post]

Hi,
If your getting issues speaking to Enta support, give us a call on 01702 410043 option 1, explain the issues and ask for your support case to be escalated, we will then find out what is going on with your case.
I am afraid I have no idea why your friend is unable to access our site, but can assure you it is up.
If you ever need to check a web site bookmark this link:
http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User alpha66
(newbie) Tue 05-Jul-11 22:18:54
Print Post

LATEST NEWS

Following Vivaciti's response here and his email to me, I spoke (again) with Entanet Support. They eventually said that Iíd have to get a BT engineer to have a look at my problem. They had previously told me that this had already been done and that nothing amiss could be found. They said that thy would arrange the BT engineer because I would be unable to get an ADSL engineer, but I would have to pay for it.

I had nowhere to go but to agree.

20 minutes after the support guy told me that an engineer was booked for tomorrow morning, my speed miraculously went up from 133 kbps to 4.2 Mbps. Spooky or what ???? It was a sudden jump right there before my eyes (I have DU Meter on my desktop)..

I waited for thirty minutes to make sure it was stable, then rang Entanet support to cancel the BT engineer for tomorrow.

Do you know what this tells me? Itís pretty obvious that either Entanet Support, or BT just hadnít been bothered to do anything whatsoever about my problem. Cynical? Perhaps.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Jul-11 10:01:39
Print Post

Hi,
I responded to you here, and asked for the details on your case, I had seen the connection history (you can see this in your own control panel) and this shows that your line was very unstable for a while, what ever was causing this instability had cleared and then it was just a waiting game for the system to raise your profile back up. Although the response you had received from the engineer at Enta was not the best it could have been and the information does not seem to have been passed over to you as it should have been, this has been passed up the line.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 06-Jul-11 11:31:12
Print Post

Unfortunate re the Entanet support, but it seems you don't know about the BT DLM and the IP Profile system (see link on that page). Useful to know smile. The Trouble-shooting section may also be helpful, as the cause of the original problem may be covered there.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User alpha66
(newbie) Thu 07-Jul-11 17:17:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I belive in KISS. I prefer not to massage my ego by pontificating about things tekky when such discorse does nothing to help me, nor does it help other people.

I used to work for BT Ignite, variously at Apsley, Baynard House and West Malling. I also spent a period at Martlesham Heath.

But if you had cared to focus a little, you should have seen that I had done all the "local-installation" ("subscriber" in BT-speak) tests/procedures possible. With nothing more than a router via ADSL filter IN THE BT TEST SOCKET and NOTHING ELSE CONNECTED while I waited eight days for the profile to climb - how long; do you suggest? A month? A year?

And you should have noticed that it was only after I had agreed to pay BT £130+ that a reset was made - ONLY 20 MINUTES AFTER A CALL-OUT (with charges) was agreed.

Can your expertise please explain?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 08-Jul-11 14:13:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by alpha66:
Can your expertise please explain?
Easily.

If you have been dealing with the support people in the god-like way you just replied to me, no wonder you got nowhere.

Your eight-day wait for a profile rise seems not to be relevant, given that on 30 June or later your line appeared to be still suffering from frequent drops.

As for your highfalutin language, and quite unnecessary shouting, it would carry more weight if you could spell "techy" and "discourse". I will accept "belive" as a typo.

Your telecomms career history could easily not have covered for example the possibility of a duff Sky box, or even a simple filter failure. Did it include in-depth knowledge of the BT Wholesale DLM and its weak points? Your apparent failure to have run a BT speed test, and not posting line stats, do not suggest a high level of diagnostic expertise, nor a real desire for help. Your only quoted figure of 136kbps, (133 being another typo?), looks highly suspect as well, seemingly just multiplying 17 by 8. Not much use to anyone, and in "techy" terms completely meaningless.

Thinking about it, your shouted ridiculous question about vivaciti perhaps having gone bust does indicate a rather self-regarding attitude. I wonder if your username is because you consider yourself an alpha male?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Sat 09-Jul-11 12:15:05
Print Post

You came here seeking answers, you got a viable one (well, as sane & viable as can be considering you've provided very little information such as router statistics or the results from the BT Speedtester).

...and then you berate RobertoS for having the sheer cheek to provide an explanation that explains the issue & provides the technical details? He could have quite easily instead said "that's how it goes, you just got lucky with the timing" and left it at that.

But, if you insist on KISS: If the line struggles (for whatever reason), there's a delay of a week at most (give or take a few days) for it to bounce back. Little 'blips' such as from a thunderstorm are normally corrected after a few hours, but a sustained period of line instability means the BT system will wait longer before upping the IP Profile.

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Standard User philippercival
(committed) Sat 09-Jul-11 20:43:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by alpha66:
And you should have noticed that it was only after I had agreed to pay BT £130+ that a reset was made - ONLY 20 MINUTES AFTER A CALL-OUT (with charges) was agreed.

Actually you only get charged if the fault is in your premises and in effect your fault, hence all the change this and that requirements.

I have had several faults with several ISPs which I have been convinced were nothing to do with my wiring/equipment, and when challenged over the cost of a call out I always agree that I will pay if the fault is mine. Actually that would mean that I had failed to diagnose it so paying the fee would probably be cheaper than wasting any more time on it. So far so good though, I have never been charged.

On your original point, I had a long running fault with Enta, when my line speed had dropped from a consistant 2.4 to an inconsistent 1.6. They worked hard over about three months escalating the fault until it was with something called the complex faults team at BT. The final answer came back from BT that our market 1 exchange was just overcrowded. Happily at that point C&W installed their LLU stuff and Vivacity were able to get me connected to that though Surfwise/OBIT. Since then my speed has increased to a consistant 3.2, I have a higher upload speed than I was getting on my Business connection before3, and I am paying a great deal less. One very happy bunny.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Jul-11 10:19:55
Print Post

Well if you used to work for BT you should know their DLM is flaky at best and often results in stuck IP profiles.

A good number of people have the same problems with BT's dodgy "systems". I have a friend in a worse position than you (because his IP profile is still stuck at 135kbps following the thunderstorms we had a couple of weeks back).

The biggest problem (in your case and his) seems to be Entanet's inability to get BT off their bottoms and fix what is a very simple problem.
As you've discovered the actual problem takes minutes to fix once you can get BT moving.

I don't know if the problem is Entanet not understanding about IP profiles (which I doubt), call centre staff being poorly trained (which is a given for call centre staff - most first line support staff are next to useless), or BT often refusing to accept their systems are broken (and, thus, ignoring requests for manual intervention) and just trusting their poorly engineered DLM will work things out automatically.
My money's on the latter.

Either way; there's little point in you giving the type of responses you have towards people who are only trying to help. Next time they probably won't bother and will leave you to stew.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware

Edited by adebov (Mon 11-Jul-11 10:20:44)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to