General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User S_K_Y
(newbie) Wed 20-Jul-11 11:49:07
Print Post

Sky Broadband

[link to this post]

Hi there, had Sky Broadband for about 4 weeks now and the connection speed is around 0.8mbps which is something I once used to have 10 years ago.

I can use this speed for simple reading on the web, but when trying anything that requires streaming or flash content then it's pretty much useless. I have four children and a wife, so all in all there are six of us who use the broadband, well would like to anyway. Xbox 360 online gaming is pathetic to say the least, I am lucky if we get a single yellow dot in ping.

The first 2 days of having it the connection was 1.4mbps and the upload was 0.5mbps, but right after it has remained the same.

My Sky account online says my speed has been configured to get 0.8mbps? They promised me up to 20mbps but I know I can only get around 2mbps top speed due to my previous providers, all of which have given 1.9mbps considering the distance from exchange.

Ok before I start to bash Sky, is there anybody out there who can help, have had same problems and fixed them or still having them?

The lady on the phone had mentioned it could take months to sort out what exactly is wrong and I would have to go through the usual test zzzzzz.

I have changed filters, ethernet cable, tried the broadband on 2 other pc's, plugged directly into master socket, checked for viruses and so on. I guess you guys will want a screen shot of my stats?

Speed Test
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1393720811.png

Router Stats
System Up Time: 00:44:09
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN MER 8330 16346 0 2222 12996 00:22:17
LAN 17528 13606 0 6903 1190 00:44:09
WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1018 kbps 253 kbps
Line Attenuation 63.5db 38.6db
Noise Margin 8.7db 16.2db
Poll Interval: (secs)

I hope this helps who ever can help lol.

Thanks in advance.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 20-Jul-11 11:53:08
Print Post

Re: Sky Broadband

[re: S_K_Y] [link to this post]

I'm afraid any figure less than 20 Mbps is up to 20 Mbps. You have a long line (attenuation 63.5 dB plus).

Have you checked the stats from the test socket within modernish BT master sockets?

If you could that would show if anything could be done to improve your speeds.
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Wed 20-Jul-11 11:59:27
Print Post

Where do you live? If it is in the Herfordshire area, join the club.
Prior to the end of Jan this year I had a rock steady 4608/896 sync speed. Since then it has been all over the place - reducing everytime Sky try to improve things. I have finally got them to agree to a Lift and Shift, happening sometime today - we shall see...........

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Jul-11 12:19:20
Print Post

The 1.4Mbps would have been when the target noise margin was 6dB, then your line exhibited some instability probably and their auto systems set a target of 9dB, i.e. gave away speed for stability.

Plugged into master socket and its test socket (at which point all other extensions should not work). Post the same statistics again, the connection speed may stay the same, its the combination of everything that is of interest.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Jul-11 15:11:14
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Stevenage_Neil:
His profile says Wales smile, a fair distance from Hertfordshire, though a bit closer to Herefordshire; your username suggests you're in Hertfordshire.

Tony
Standard User S_K_Y
(newbie) Thu 21-Jul-11 09:57:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well the Sky Team have offered to downgrade my broadband to the free service while they figure out what the problem is. This is a problem because they only offer 2 gig allowance per month via the free option which would last no more than a day or two?

I am not after credits in regards to bill (Would be nice), just some decent broadband. As I have mentioned previously, my previous suppliers told me straight out that I would not get more than 2mbps, I gladly accepted that and the speeds were ok around 1.7 - 1.9.

One of my neighbousr in fact has close to 2.6 and he is with supanet, other neighbours have Talk Talk with 2.1, neighbour on the end has Sky and his is 1.8?

Maybe it is the line and requires a visit from engineer?

I have tried out two different sky routers and also the DLink I have spare from before, Somebody mentioned from work that the preconfigured router settings determined by Sky may be at fault and that a simple tweak here and there can sort it out?

Is there anyone who can shed some light on this?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 21-Jul-11 10:01:25
Print Post

1. Have you tested from the test socket
2. Do you know what DLM means?
3. There is not a fault, simply that the DLM system at Sky has decided for stability you need to run slower.
4. On point 3 you need to ask Sky to reset the DLM, often switching to gaming profile helps people.
5. router settings don't govern the speed, but the big computer that runs the DLM system at Sky

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Thu 21-Jul-11 10:55:46
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
In reply to a post by Stevenage_Neil:
His profile says Wales smile, a fair distance from Hertfordshire, though a bit closer to Herefordshire; your username suggests you're in Hertfordshire.

Ooops, been pinpointed.........
Standard User S_K_Y
(newbie) Sun 24-Jul-11 12:58:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes all tests have been done.

The guy on the phone reckons that I should be getting 2.4mbps and he will send a request to get it reconfigured which was last thursday. The guy also mentioned that if I went for the gaming profile then my speed would actually be lower?

The speed has not increased and remains the same at 0.7mbps at the moment, though I would give them some time to sort it out but surely this is not happening?

I will give the a ring tomorrow and post the feedback for your attention.
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(member) Sun 24-Jul-11 14:13:18
Print Post

I always use this site inputting my down attenuation, this will give you a good estimate on what can be achieved on the line you are on.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

My views are my experiences.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to