General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User steve1873
(newbie) Wed 20-Jul-11 18:18:42
Print Post

Billing from BT despite cancelling... nearly 30 months ago!

[link to this post]

I migrated from BT Yahoo Broadband to Sky Broadband in March of 2009.

On Monday this week I received my latest quarterly bank statement, which unfortunately I usually put in the drawer without going through the transaction details list. However, on this occasion, due to a perceived problem with my wages at end of last month, I decided to have a scroll through all the transactions. To my horror and bemusement on the 27th of June was a Direct Debit withdrawal of £30.63. As I checked back this was a recurring charge on or around the 27th of each month.

I immediately sent an e-mail to BT customer complaints and to their credit a rep phoned me within about an hour of sending the e-mail. He checked my details and informed me he would need to make a few calls and would get back to me within the hour. He did so, telling me that he had spoken to someone in billing and that they had conceded their had been a problem with their cancellation system - something to do with it being on an older system. He then said that someone from billing would call in 24-48 hours to discuss the matter and resolve the issue.

As yet, over 48 hours later I have received no phone call. He did say that I was to ring back and speak to him if I hadn't heard anything by Thursday which I will do tomorrow. He didn't, however tell me that I would (as I am obviously going to demand) receive a full refund, which by my calculations would be approximately £900 - 30 months at approximately £30 (variances due to changes to VAT etc I think).

Just wondering has anyone experienced anything similar?

I admit that I should have noticed this earlier by checking my statements, but I check my balance regularly and so saw no need for further checking when everything seemed normal. I have learned from that mistake obviously, but surely BT cannot/ will not try to get out of refunding me the full amount?

If they do try to get out of a full refund, what are my options from a legal perspective?

Any reassurances or advice much appreciated,

Steve.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 20-Jul-11 18:29:34
Print Post

Re: Billing from BT despite cancelling... nearly 30 months a

[re: steve1873] [link to this post]

It depends if you cancelled the broadband contract or not. What process did you use to move from BT? I.e. did you use a MAC (migration authorization code). In that system the gaining ISP is meant to notify the losing ISP.
Standard User steve1873
(newbie) Wed 20-Jul-11 18:33:38
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john2007:
It depends if you cancelled the broadband contract or not. What process did you use to move from BT? I.e. did you use a MAC (migration authorization code). In that system the gaining ISP is meant to notify the losing ISP.

Yes, I used a MAC code and after I passed it on to Sky, the process went smoothly. I was and still am led to believe that after given the MAC to Sky the entire following procedure was automated.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Jul-11 18:35:12
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Openreach are supposed to do the notification John. The gaining ISP has no way to know the losing ISP, unless you tell them when signing up, which is not obligatory.

However, your main point stands. If he didn't give notice, he could have a problem. But from the opening post there doesn't seem to be one except BT moving slowly, so I'm not sure what he is worried about at this stage.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 20-Jul-11 18:49:23
Print Post

There are quite a few stories of the losing ISP not being notified when a migration has taken place, which is why it's a good idea to notify the losing ISP yourself as well.

Given that you used a MAC I can't see any problem getting your money back from BT (assuming there is not some legal limit on how many years back the debt may be).
Standard User steve1873
(newbie) Wed 20-Jul-11 18:49:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Openreach are supposed to do the notification John. The gaining ISP has no way to know the losing ISP, unless you tell them when signing up, which is not obligatory.

However, your main point stands. If he didn't give notice, he could have a problem. But from the opening post there doesn't seem to be one except BT moving slowly, so I'm not sure what he is worried about at this stage.

The worry is that clearly BT have stolen, or if that seems harsh, misappropriated approximately £900 from me, for a service that was migrated away from using the proper procedure, and despite being informed of this on Monday I have not yet been informed whether or not I will be receiving a refund.

I appreciate the feedback regarding how the migration notification process works Roberto. As I said in original post any information regarding this is very much appreciated. As far as you saying if I didn't give notice - I called them up to request a MAC and I was led to believe that was the only thing required of me. Are you saying that I had to then actually call BT back upon given the MAC to new ISP informing them I was cancelling?
Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 20-Jul-11 18:54:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, my mistake, as you say it's the job of Openreach to notify the losing ISP.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 20-Jul-11 18:57:57
Print Post

The problem arises as just because a MAC is issued it doesn't mean it will be used. i.e. people can intend to migrate, get a MAC, and then change their mind and decide to stay with the original ISP. The ISP can not stop service (and consequently billing) until they are told the user has actually migrated.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Jul-11 19:00:33
Print Post

You probably have emails with the bills. Your BT email address they went to will still be there.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Jul-11 19:26:17
Print Post

Did you not think when you left BT to contact your bank and cancel the Direct debit......

NEVER EVER RELY ON ANYONE ELSE to confirm anything is cancelled.......

I just can't understand how you can go that long without checking a bank statement.... It should at worst be done on a monthly basis, even better daily/weekly. With internet access you have no excuse for taking 5 min to check it.....

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Heven \_0-0_/