General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Wed 20-Jul-11 19:35:45
Print Post

Re: Billing from BT despite cancelling... nearly 30 months a

[re: steve1873] [link to this post]

"and that they had conceded their had been a problem with their cancellation system - something to do with it being on an older system."

According to this statement you should be lucky and will get your money back. MAC just gives the receiving ISP the ok to switch to them otherwise unscrupulous ISPs could just transfer (can't remember technical term) users.

Always cancel SO / DD and inform company that payment would be due to.

Same with switching electricity and gas providers. The new company should do the informing but best to get a final and LAST bill.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Jul-11 19:59:18
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JohnR:
I just can't understand how you can go that long without checking a bank statement.... It should at worst be done on a monthly basis, even better daily/weekly
Especially the first month after leaving an ISP that has a D/D authority.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Jul-11 20:37:07
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
MAC just gives the receiving ISP the ok to switch to them otherwise unscrupulous ISPs could just transfer (can't remember technical term) users.

Given that OP moved to Sky its a good chance that it was to LLU and as such does not really need a mac.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Heven \_0-0_/
Powered by Oh 2
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
''''''' Apsotrophe abuser ''''''

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Jul-11 20:57:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by JohnR:
Given that OP moved to Sky its a good chance that it was to LLU and as such does not really need a mac.
Although technically you are correct, there's a lot of controversy about that. Mainly on two counts.

1) Re: A Cease charge, (OK so far this isn't an issue here), will not be raised if:-
The End User line has been migrated to an LLU operator (either SMPF or MPF) using the published migration process.
What that means is unclear as we don't have access to the publication, but it has certainly been the case a few times in the past where a Cease Charge has been erroneously raised for whatever reason. Having obtained a MAC is useful evidence that it wasn't the customer at fault.

2) Re: Most ISPs take the date of request of a MAC as the start of any required notice period if the customer does then migrate out soon after. If you don't ask for one then inevitably the notice period will start at the earliest the day of migration, and some ISPs have been known to claim it doesn't start until formally given, even if the user has not been on the service for a considerable period.

A MAC should always be requested, and submitted to the gaining ISP if possible.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Jul-11 21:20:38
Print Post

Back in 2009 they were not using full LLU so a MAC process would have been used.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Jul-11 22:20:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Good point, and even now it isn't full LLU if Sky Line Rental isn't taken, so I assume a MAC would be required for that anyway. But that's not really relevant, though your point is.

Standard User epyon
(regular) Wed 20-Jul-11 22:31:01
Print Post

Though this is late in saying i always cancel my DD when i leave an ISP

if they have any issues they can take a card/cheque payment later.

BE*Unlimited
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by epyon (Wed 20-Jul-11 22:31:22)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Jul-11 23:56:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by steve1873:
Yes, I used a MAC code and after I passed it on to Sky, the process went smoothly.
But did you formally give notice to cancel your BT service in writing as required by §21 of their General Terms and Conditions?

I strongly agree with the view that you have been very negligent in not checking your bank statement regularly & not noticing that eventually £900 had gone missing. If you consider such a sum so trivial, you might as well chuck it this way for our advice smile

BT have the upper hand here as you have not abided by their T&Cs and so it is entirely in their gift as to whether you get any or all of your money back. So you had better treat them politely!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 15.6 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 16.8 Meg Untweaked WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 21-Jul-11 07:39:10)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 21-Jul-11 00:43:59
Print Post

Sorry, I didn't see you post about getting and using a MAC, somehow I missed it.

What you had to do, as someone has posted, is check what is said in the T & Cs, never mind what you are told on the phone. But I don't think that is the issue.

As you seem to have realised, if you don't use the MAC then everything carries on as before. Making sure BT were aware you had actually left, (not at the time of submitting the MAC to Sky as migrations often fail after that point), is just a wise thing to do.

I don't know if you have read this page, but it is all covered there, due to this sort of thing happening quite often with several ISPs.

As for the rather strong way you put it, I hope you won't be using that sort of language in the conversations you will have with BT. That will just make people defend their company and colleagues against that accusation, instead of encouraging them to help you out. The person clearly at fault for this going on for more than one month is yourself, and getting stroppy on the phone is always counter-productive wherever the fault lies.

It seems a simple system failure happened. You also seem to have had a helpful person who suggested you ring him on Thursday if the slow-moving cogs of BT had not turned. In your position, for the sake of my blood pressure I would have done exactly that rather than open this thread and start an inevitable discussion of all the doomsday scenarios possible.

There is no reason yet to suggest you have a problem getting a refund, but I recommend you don't talk about "stealing" or "misappropriation" in discussions with BT staff. It started with a system or clerical error and the fact the effect has lasted this long is not relevant.

ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Fri 22-Jul-11 13:41:56
Print Post

Re:Billing from BT despite cancelling... nearly 30 months ag

Hi Steve1873,

I would like to take a look at your old account to see what is going on. Please could you send me in your details using http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950

Once I have that information I will look into this and reply to you directly.

Cheers

Paddy,
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to