General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User drunkenfool
(newbie) Wed 03-Aug-11 20:21:53
Print Post

Problems with ADSL24 or the line itself?!

[link to this post]

I moved in to a brand new apartment in the centre of town about a month ago and had a new phone line installed there, and the BT speed estimator gave an estimated speed of 18mbps. When the line was activated it did sync once at 14mbps but is now usually around 11mbps and frequently disconnects. The modem (Draytek Vigor 120) shows a SNR of between 6 and 8, which would explain the frequent disconnecting, and in fact the only reason that we are using a separate modem instead of a combined router/modem is because our brand new Netgear WDNG3700 would not even connect successfully here and it constantly went between 'disconnected' and' training' (assumingly because the modem is more sensitive to a low SNR?) The netgear router works perfectly at my mother's house which is about 2km further away from the exchange, syncing at 6.5mbps, and on the same C&W LLU service with ADSL24, yet ADSL24 have said that it is a problem with the router not our line!
BT sent an engineer out who ran some tests and said the line was fine, but it was only a telephone engineer not a broadband engineer and to be honest he didn't have a clue - when i asked if he could run a line length test for me he said he didn't even know how to do it, which filled me with confidence!
Anyway, my main question is that ADSL24 have now said they are sending a request to do an SNR reset, but will this actually solve anything at all or will the SNR (note, SNR not SNR margin!) still be just as bad after the reset?
To be honest, one of the most frustrating things was being told "you should be happy enough with 7.5mbps, it's quite a good speed" when it should be capable of much more! So, any input guys?! (and girls, sorry!)
(newbie) Wed 03-Aug-11 20:27:53
Print Post

Re: Problems with ADSL24 or the line itself?!

[re: drunkenfool] [link to this post]

Oh, and I've just checked our connection log for today - 16 different sessions and the longest is 6hrs 5mins. frown
(newbie) Wed 03-Aug-11 20:32:42
Print Post

after reading more related posts I thought I should add some more information before people ask for it - The filter is plugged into the BT test socket so all other extensions are disconnected, I've tried 3 different filters and 3 different modem/routers.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 03-Aug-11 20:47:26
Print Post

You should post your line stats reported by your router see http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User aramsay
(member) Wed 03-Aug-11 20:50:05
Print Post

When you are getting disconnected, this is a disconnection between C&W equipment in the exchange and your router, nothing to do with the ISP; in fact any ISP using the same equipment on the same line would probably experience the same thing.

This is beyond anything that ADSL24 can control, and is generally due to a line fault, or interference, or faulty equipment.

I'm not 100% sure what you're complaint actually is; is it that you are getting lots of disconnections, or is it that the line is now only syncing at 7.5mbps? Which ever it is, it would be most useful to see the stats from the router so that we can see what the various aspects of your service look like.

If you plug a normal telephone handset (not cordless one) into the test socket, do you have a completely clear line or is there any interference on it? To make sure, you can do a 'quiet line test' by dialling 17070 (if memory serves) and selecting an option for quiet line test; which is basically a line without anyone on it, so you should hear no noise at all.

Without the router stats, I wouldn't really expect anyone to offer much advice.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 03-Aug-11 20:52:41
Print Post

note, SNR not SNR margin!
Every reference you make to SNR in that post refers to the SNRM. Routers just mis-label it. An SNRM varying between 6dB and 8dB is perfectly acceptable on a C & W connection, where I think the sync-time setting is 9dB.

From the rest of what you say I suspect something specific to the flats is introducing noise bursts. The most likely is a Sky box, not necessarily yours, with a faulty power supply, unless you have something connected to the phone line not going through a filter. As for an "SNR(M) Reset", I don't think there is such a thing on a C & W connection, though I could be mistaken. It is a facility on BT Wholesale circuits to redo the initial 10-day training, and as that sets everything to defaults it has the incidental effect of setting the sync-time margin to 6dB and letting the DLM play with it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 03-Aug-11 20:55:11
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
You should post your line stats reported by your router see http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Oops?
The modem (Draytek Vigor 120) shows a SNR of between 6 and 8, which would explain the frequent disconnecting, and in fact the only reason that we are using a separate modem instead of a combined router/modem is because our brand new Netgear WDNG3700 would not even connect

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 03-Aug-11 21:01:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

There's a lot more to line stats than snr smile

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 03-Aug-11 21:09:06
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

tongue
I was pointing out that (a) he doesn't have a connected ADSLx router, and (b) his modem isn't listed on Kitz.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 03-Aug-11 21:10:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

He claims to have 3 laugh

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to