General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Hotdog1
(newbie) Mon 29-Aug-11 15:59:08
Print Post

TalkTalk charging twice for broadband?

[link to this post]

Hi everyone. Hope you can help with this question on behalf of my parents. This is a little long-winded, so please bear with me. First some background:

My parents had* been with TT for about six years (line rental, phone calls and broadband). Their exchange is Bovey Tracey. When they joined TT they were told they could have free broadband as long as TT's kit was in the exchange. Naturally it wasn't, so they had to pay something like £10 a month for TalkTalk to use BT's equipment. Not great, but not awful.So they signed up.

Roll on several years to a few weeks ago and I catch sight of a recent TT bill they received, showing 'Your advance month charges'. In the list of services is 'Broadband: £15.32' and 'TalkTalk Essentials £6.50'. I thought this was a little unusual. It looked to me like my parents were being charged twice for broadband, although I presumed the £15.32 might have been the charge for using BT's kit and the £6.50 was a TT charge for broadband.

Anyhow, I checked Samknows and it seems Bovey Tracey is now TT enabled. In fact Samknows confirmed to me in an email that Bovey Tracey has been TT enabled since August 2010. When I challenged TT about this, I was first told that LLU didn't exist at Bovey Tracey. When I insisted it did, I was told that TT's service at Bovey Tracey had been over-subscribed. Great. 'Why weren't my parents switched over on a first-come-first-serve basis,' I asked. No answer was forthcoming. By this stage I was getting rather angry, but kept my cool as I knew they'd just hang up on me. A credit of £19.50 (3 x £6.50) was offered(!) as some way of compensation, which I couldn't quite believe. So I requested a MAC code and finished the conversation.

My question(s) is this:

Have my parents been overcharged for their broadband since August 2010? Were they entitled to be switched over to LLU as soon as it was enabled at Bovey Tracey? And does anyone know why they have been paying £15.32 and £6.50, even if they weren't entitled to LLU?

I'd like to know if they're owed money so I can go to Ofcom and then maybe the small claims court.

Any advice you can give me regarding this would be hugely appreciated. Thank you!

Rob

*I've now moved them (with their permission) to Zen.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Aug-11 22:10:10
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk charging twice for broadband?

[re: Hotdog1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Hotdog1:
(line rental, phone calls and broadband).
Your advance month charges'. In the list of services is 'Broadband: £15.32' and 'TalkTalk Essentials £6.50'.
Isn't that simply Line Rental (currently £12.60) + Essentials BB @ £6.50?

These are TT's standard prices. Where did you think Line Rental had disappeared to?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User Hotdog1
(newbie) Mon 29-Aug-11 23:17:09
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Perhaps I should have been more clear and explained what all of the advance month charges were:

Broadband: £15.32
TalkTalk Essentials: £6.50
Mobile Saver Boost £2.05
Line Rental: £12.60
Anytime UK Calls Boost: £4.50
International Boost: £0.00
Privacy Pack: £0.00

So, as you can now see, line rental was chargeable in addition to the £15.32 and £6.50.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nex0
(committed) Mon 29-Aug-11 23:32:33
Print Post

[re: Hotdog1] [link to this post]

If you still can with there details get them to signup the the talktalk members forum and stick a post in the customer service and billing section.

Emma there will be able to look into it for you.

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/index.php
  Print Thread

Jump to