General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User simonbuck
(member) Thu 08-Sep-11 19:21:49
Print Post

Bethere strange sync happenings

[link to this post]

I moved over to BE about two years ago and was perfectly happy with my 16mb conection straight out of the box over my old Enta 8mb conection.

I returned home from work this evening to find I was syncing at 10mb and the line was dropping every 30 seconds or so, telephoned BE support who did some tests with the router in the test socket and also got me to do a silent line test, no problems found. They then said my profile is only 9mb, to which i replied (as above), he checked my history and confirmed I had infact atained the 16mb d/l speed over the two years and could not explain. He reduced my profile even further to 8mb to stop the disconections and said they would monitor for 24 hrs.

Has anyone got any ideas ?? (I have swapped the router out for another still the same)
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Sep-11 21:01:48
Print Post

Re: Bethere strange sync happenings

[re: simonbuck] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simonbuck:
I moved over to BE about two years ago and was perfectly happy with my 16mb connection straight out of the box over my old Enta 8mb connection.

I returned home from work this evening to find I was syncing at 10mb and the line was dropping every 30 seconds or so, telephoned BE support who did some tests with the router in the test socket and also got me to do a silent line test, no problems found. They then said my profile is only 9mb, to which i replied (as above), he checked my history and confirmed I had in-fact attained the 16mb d/l speed over the two years and could not explain. He reduced my profile even further to 8mb to stop the disconnections and said they would monitor for 24 hrs.

Has anyone got any ideas ?? (I have swapped the router out for another still the same)
TBH it sounds like a developing line fault or a fault with BE equipment (line card,ect) at your local exchange,perish the thought, from what others have been posting of various forums BE seem over reluctant to call out openreach, even when it would seem that a there is a fault, they would sooner try and just hide the fault instead by bumping up noise margins ect which to me would not be an acceptable solution,

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 08-Sep-11 21:27:17
Print Post

Please post your line stats reported by your BEBox.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Thu 08-Sep-11 21:33:18
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
TBH it sounds like a developing line fault or a fault with BE equipment (line card,ect) at your local exchange,perish the thought, from what others have been posting of various forums BE seem over reluctant to call out openreach, even when it would seem that a there is a fault, they would sooner try and just hide the fault instead by bumping up noise margins ect which to me would not be an acceptable solution,

Absolute tosh. BE were more than happy to call out openreach to fix my fault and did so vey quickly. Another poster to this forum had the same experience I did.

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 21:47:03
Print Post

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kamelion:
Absolute tosh. BE were more than happy to call out openreach to fix my fault and did so vey quickly. Another poster to this forum had the same experience I did.

BE called out and paid for an OpenReach SFI for me last June, when my line dropped every 10 seconds. The line degredation was found to be faults in the street wiring, so BE got their money back from OpenReach.

I'd suggest the OP should be posting in the BE specific ThinkBroadband forum to start with.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Sep-11 22:16:43
Print Post

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

Easy to quote from the past, it's what the current state of play is that matters here not what happened last year or even last month, things can & do change, if a customer who has enjoyed a stable sync of 16mbits + for 2 yrs in this case suddenly is only getting 10mbit and is disconnecting frequently then it's fairly obvious to me and i would say plenty of others that there is some kind of fault and unless there has been changes made (including ruling out router and filters) with the customers own wiring ect then it stands to reason its bt line plant from exchange to customers premises or the isp's kit, but instead of investigating that be tech support would sooner cap the connection by raising the snr level, to see if it still drops connection or not, so lets suppose it stabilizes it , then what?
is that all they are gonna do?
leave it like that & say it's now solved??
when all they have done is hidden the underlying fault , not good enough I'm afraid

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 08-Sep-11 22:23:14)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 08-Sep-11 22:24:06
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

if a customer who has enjoyed a stable sync of 16mbits + for 2 yrs in this case suddenly is only getting 10mbit and is disconnecting frequently then it's fairly obvious to me and i would say plenty of others that there is some kind of fault
...or something else. Hard to say without line stats.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User simonbuck
(member) Thu 08-Sep-11 22:54:17
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
if a customer who has enjoyed a stable sync of 16mbits + for 2 yrs in this case suddenly is only getting 10mbit and is disconnecting frequently then it's fairly obvious to me and i would say plenty of others that there is some kind of fault
...or something else. Hard to say without line stats.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8816 kbps 1313 kbps
Line Attenuation 31.0 db 14.2 db
Noise Margin 5.9 db 6.9 db

was 3.6db yesterday

Stats are from my Netgear not the Bebox

Edited by simonbuck (Thu 08-Sep-11 22:56:06)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 08-Sep-11 23:01:12
Print Post

Stats are from my Netgear not the Bebox
Sorry, can't help then.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-Sep-11 23:03:20
Print Post

So were you using the Netgear when things went wrong?

If so, I would normally say to try the Be Box, but that may not show any difference if your line has been manually set by support. Worth a try though.

It may just be support took you off a 3dB noise margin. But even on 6dB you should be getting a lot more than 8816kbps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to