General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User magicsnaps
(newbie) Thu 22-Sep-11 17:25:31
Print Post

One-way Broadband from Plusnet? Zero upload!

[link to this post]

For days now I have been unable to upload images because the upload times have been so extended as to be impractical . As a professional photographer this is impacting on my business hugely and as a Mac user, about to see Mac services move towards the iCloud, such a service is totally unacceptable.

I have just run yet another speed test using Plusnet's own speed-checker and the figures (which are typical) are:

Today:17.06 Download 4992kbps (624kB/s) and Upload 6kbps (750B/s)

Is anybody else experiencing this? I have had zero response from Plusnet.
ISP Representative jpilson
(isp) Thu 22-Sep-11 21:29:02
Print Post

Re: One-way Broadband from Plusnet? Zero upload!

[re: magicsnaps] [link to this post]

Hi,

What router are you using, and is it a wired or wireless connection?

Jojo smile

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User wanapoo
(member) Fri 23-Sep-11 08:50:26
Print Post

Ah, this ones tricky.

TML on the other topic which magicsnaps posted on, said she also had the same problem caused by the wifi on the plusnet supplied Thompson router. She got around the problem by plugging in the ethernet cable.

The only possible problem i can think of with this fix for magicsnaps, is that if he is using a macbook, apple decided not to fit ethernet ports on their latest products which means magicsnap has no where to plug the ethernet cable into.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User magicsnaps
(newbie) Fri 23-Sep-11 09:09:31
Print Post

[re: jpilson] [link to this post]

Hi Jojo

The router was as upgraded by Plusnet ie a Thomson TG585 V8. We have one iMac plugged in via ethernet in the office downstairs but my office above the studio relies on a wi-fi link to my iMac - hence I cannot plug in an ethernet cable (only one Mac model does not have an ethernet port incidentally). I am certain the upload speeds have dropped in the last few weeks and the wi-fi download speeds remain quite good for this area. I have been using Dropbox and MobileMe with reasonable upload speeds for a long time.

Any thoughts?
Standard User wanapoo
(member) Fri 23-Sep-11 09:50:59
Print Post

Can you do the speedtest using the imac downstairs with everything else what uses the internet turned off, just to eliminate the chance that one of the other devices is sucking up your bandwidth.

Do you still have the old TG585 V7 router to test with ?

Standard User magicsnaps
(newbie) Fri 23-Sep-11 10:03:41
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

Thanks for your interest. Might get a chance this afternoon to test the iMac in the downstairs office & can probably dig out the old router. What I don't understand is how there is an inconsistency between Download & Upload speeds using the same Wi-Fi connection & the same router. Is that technically possible? We can't think of anything that has changed to slow down the (very moderate) Upload speeds we used to get.
Standard User wanapoo
(member) Fri 23-Sep-11 10:17:35
Print Post

How i interpret what TML said on the other topic, there is something technically wrong with the wifi on the routers wifi, which is only letting the downloads work well properly, but uploads is faulty or restricted.

But if TML is right, your downstairs imac which is plugged into the ethernet should be working fine aslong as nothing else is using up the bandwidth.
If the downstairs imac is fine, next would be to try the older router.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 23-Sep-11 11:22:47
Print Post

Just so you know, it's 'TLM' (Tomato, Lettuce, Mayo).

/awaits TLM's response. grin

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Fri 23-Sep-11 11:58:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by wanapoo:
......... if he is using a macbook, apple decided not to fit ethernet ports on their latest products which means magicsnap has no where to plug the ethernet cable into.
Only the MacBook Air has no ethernet port. Apple do supply an optional USB->ethernet adaptor @ £25 for those times when you have no alternative.
Standard User wanapoo
(member) Fri 23-Sep-11 12:53:52
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

oops tongue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to