General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MattNSarah33
(newbie) Tue 27-Sep-11 22:11:04
Print Post

Sky speed issues

[link to this post]

Hi all, wondering if anyone can help or has the same issues with sky broadband. Using skys router or a brand new netgear dual band router makes no difference to the issue. Both routers connect at 8000k but we only seem to get around 2mb using BT's speed test website. Having complained pretty much every night for the past month, last friday and saturday we had much better speed the lowest being 5800k so i was happy with that as i could use xbox live with no video buffer issues at all. Since sunday its once again ground to a halt at 2-3mb and i cant use sky player at all. Sky have said that even with line faults we should be getting a better speed.

Ive opened ports on the routers so the NAT port is open on xbox live but it makes no difference. Tried connecting with ethernet and wireless and again neither are helping.

Weve already had 2 BT engineers check the line and now a 3rd has been booked for next week. If im honest im pretty fedup with sky and this issue and considering canceling but as we have the broadband as a package with the TV and phone its cheaper than other suppliers so i dont know what to do.

so to sum up -

Router connection speed 8000k
download speeds 1-5mb mostly 2-3mb
cannot watch videos on xbox live without it buffering every 15seconds
Tried skys router and a new netgear one (sky have sent another which im guessing wont change anything)
plugged into the tester socket and no difference
ethernet and wireless no difference

Hopefully someone can help us with this headache
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 27-Sep-11 22:16:43
Print Post

Re: Sky speed issues

[re: MattNSarah33] [link to this post]

What Sky broadband package are you on?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User undecidedadrian
(regular) Tue 27-Sep-11 22:19:18
Print Post

I assume that you are on Sky connect as you can use the BT speed tester website.

Unfortunately Sky connect has been vastly oversold for years now and some people have reported sub dial up speeds during peak times due to lack of capacity.

There is a nice FAQ here

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-help/29...

The only real solution is for people to move to another ISP that don't oversell their product.

Edited by undecidedadrian (Tue 27-Sep-11 22:23:31)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Tue 27-Sep-11 22:32:22
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

Great! not sounding too good at all! Ive been on the sam knows website to see what exchange were connected to. There is NO LLU from and ISP's and is a basic adsl enabled exchange so im guessing theres nothing i can do?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 27-Sep-11 22:37:00
Print Post

Is there FTTC or Virgin cable?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
(newbie) Tue 27-Sep-11 22:45:17
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

No to both questions frown
Standard User undecidedadrian
(regular) Tue 27-Sep-11 23:24:57
Print Post

There are still other ISP that resell the BT product with better managed products if there is no LLU or other options.

Just stay away from O2 access though as that is almost as badly oversold as Sky connect.
Standard User epyon
(member) Wed 28-Sep-11 07:22:00
Print Post

Probably best moving to plusnet.

BE*Unlimited 19004/1317Kbps
My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Sep-11 08:49:22
Print Post

When using the BT speedtest website, I presume the IP profile is always at 6000 or higher?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MattNSarah
(newbie) Wed 28-Sep-11 12:31:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Line profile was 6000 but has since been upped to 7000k
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to